Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • My car's dead! What should I do with it?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

My 1998 Passat just failed its MOT on a few things, but mainly – and quite spectacularly – ALL the emissions tests. I don't really want to go down the route of repairing it (it really needs more doing than is economical, and I have a hankering for something tiny and silly) so I need to get rid. Despite the jingle, webuyanycar.com seems like a good idea… Any potential pitfalls? Any better suggestions?

It still has an MOT until the 4th of April, if that makes any difference.

tracknicko
    Free Member

old vw's VERY popular on the old vw forums mate. lots of engine conversersions, interior swaps etc. etc. you might do well splitting it up for those lads.

have a hunt around. is it diesel or petrol?

cynic-al
    Free Member

it really needs more doing than is economical

Simples:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What engine does it have?

trail_rat
    Free Member

just got a valuation of 70quid for my running lantra ….. then you read "value subject to an admin fee of 49.99 which will be taken from your quoted value" …… from Webuyanycar

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL Pete it won't fit the Legacy or the XM

flyingmonkeycorps

Sorry, it's a 1.8T petrol. Bloody goes some for such a tank of a car… But being a complicated engine makes it tricky to work out just where the problem is. VW forums sounds like a plan though

tracknicko
    Free Member

try it. sadly the petrol wont be as usefull for van conversions etc.

id go for it anyways though. might as well strip EVERYTHING out of it before you scrap it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, I just missed out on another Passat, had it been a tdi I might have had a punt.

flyingmonkeycorps

The engine's the knackered bit anyway! The rest of the car's not too bad.

tracknicko
    Free Member
    david_r
    Free Member

My car died recently – engine blown. Looked at webuyanycar.com and they offered me £500 – plus a bit of research shows them to be proper bandits! Sold it as a scrap car on Ebay and got double their offer for it…Ebay would me my recommendation. They really will buy any sh!t on there!

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye, might be worth a punt on the 'bay… It LOOKS pretty nice!

rootes1

1.8T will be of interesting in the kit world – stick the lump, box and subframe etc on ebay.

also if it has a valid MOT then you could could make use of a scrapage scheme

might be worth one check re emissions, these engines were one of the first to be fitted with a wideband lambda (02) sensor – if it dies, then the emissions will never be right.

should ask the garage to get a error code readout

flyingmonkeycorps

Sadly I have no way of stripping it myself… I reckon I'll just stick the whole thing on eBay with no reserve and a long auction and see what happens!

ziggy
    Free Member

Just stick the whole car on ebay, I got £385 for a mega mileage 406 petrol that had snapped cambelt and mullered engine.

You'll get more than that for a VW.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Ebay as "spares or repair", none runner therefore buyer collects.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, if it goes on eBay I'll be honest about what's up with it.

Free Member

1.8t engine = wanted by lots of golf/jetta owner-types.

if you're near sheffield shout as i've just got the latest vagcom908 diagnostics kit, and i'd be happy to help.

If you want to sell it cheaply, to a fellow stw'er, drop me a message as i might know someone who is interested!! (in using it as a commuter/bike transport wagon)

tron
    Free Member

What he said. The 1.8T drops into the MK2, MK3 and even the MK1 Golf relatively easily.

Find out what the thing's failed on (Cat or lambda sensor = good, as anyone doing an engine conversion can remove these). If the turbo's dying, that's another matter.

Anyway, get it on ebay with "1.8T" and the engine code. If it's an AGU then you're quids in, as they're one of the easier ones to install due to a proper cable throttle.

flyingmonkeycorps

Jontawn – I'm in Hull, so not *too* far from you, although I'm guessing that it's illegal to drive the thing at the moment, which isn't much help. If your mate's interested let me know and I'll get some photos and such taken and send a scan of the fail cert…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘My car's dead! What should I do with it?’ is closed to new replies.