Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Must do routes – North York Moors?
  • franki
    Free Member

I’m camping for a week up that way soon and don’t know the area at all.
    Plan to do the waymarked stuff in Dalby Forest, but would like to venture onto t’moors as well. Heard there’s some sweet trails, but what’s the pick of the bunch?
    I won’t have too much time for exploring as I’m with the family.

postierich
    Free Member

When are you up there Franki? we are around that way week commencing the 1st of June looking @ a couple of day rides on the moors and the route between Whitby and Scarborough (Disused railway) with BnB stop @ Cloughton very family friendly route and very scenic.Ending the week @ the SSUK.

Rich

franki
    Free Member

Not as soon as that Rich. 🙁
    Pity, as I’d love to check out the SSUK!

DeeJay
    Free Member

I’m camping for a week up that way soon and don’t know the area at all.

When are you coming up? I often have days off during the week and would be happy to show you a few trails.

franki
    Free Member

Cheers!
    At the moment it looks like the first week in August. (O.k. it’s not that soon!)

DeeJay
    Free Member

O.k. it’s not that soon!

Nothing like planning ahead!

Looking at my rota I am off Thurs 6th – email me nearer the time.

franki
    Free Member

Thanks for that! 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Deejay what you got off on the week I come up?

DeeJay
    Free Member

what you got off on the week I come up?

3rd & 4th – any good?

chakaping
    Free Member

Eight replies and still no recommendations!

Was hoping to pick up a few tips for next ime I’m up that way.

jim
    Free Member

You could do a lot worse than the long route on here – though the map is terrible, I’ll see if I can find a better copy:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/yorkshire-and-humber/the-north-york-moors/

With an OS map and a little imagination it’s quite possible to string some nice routes around the Osmotherley/Chop Gate/Hawnby kind of area.

franki
    Free Member

I looked at the STW routes but as you say, the map is pretty awful. The one in the mag isn’t much better, as it’s quite small and I haven’t got the O.S. yet to peruse.
    Was thinking of getting the Vertebrate Graphics guide and seeing what’s in there.

jonathan
    Free Member

Here’s a selection of potential “must do” trails, your challenge is working them into nice routes when you lay your hands on a map…

Rosedale – either way is good

Fryup Dale – down… obviously

South of Danby – either way

Off Rudland Rigg – down… duh

Just a selection, but you won’t regret getting any of them into a route

didmatt
    Free Member

From riding in the moors over a few months, Danby and Chop Gate are the musts for me, Chop gate has some great long downhill sections along with the classic moors ’emptyness’ feeling. Danby is also great, just the uphills are steeper lol.

mud-dodger
    Free Member

Anywhere in the Guisborough area, lots and lots of routes that start from Pinchinthorpe walkway… there’s been alot of logging activity in the woods on the way up to the moors and alot of the forset tracks are knackered, but by the time your up this way they should be OK.

uplink
    Free Member

The Cleveland Way along Whitestone Cliff & then along to Osmotherley is a nice bit of singletrack with loads of options for dropping down & back up again – amazing views all the way across to the Dales

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=450875&y=484052&z=120&sv=450875,484052&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=758&ax=450875&ay=484052&lm=0

DeeJay
    Free Member

Franki – if your still intending to come up the first week in August check out THIS THREAD – should be good and it will include most of the BW that uplink mentions above. It will make a great start to your week!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Must do routes – North York Moors?’ is closed to new replies.