Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 'Must do' Quantocks suggestions please.
  • Ambrose

I'm planning to visit on Sunday. Can anyone recommend a few highlights and possible ways of linking them up? I have 1:50,000 digital mapping so only places named on it will mean anything to me.

I've visited once before. Route ridden was:
    Crowcombe Park Gate -> Bicknoller Post
    BP -> Ladies Edge (nice) -> Hodderscombe.
    Hodderscombe -> Holfordcombe, rejoining tarmac at Dead Woman's Ditch.
    Off road via Point 358 back to CP Gate
    CP Gate Via Little Quantock Farm (very nice) -> Crowcombe for lunch (nice pub)
    Up Triscombe? and then back to carpark.

It seems that there is quite a lot to do in the area. Any pointers?

saladdodger
    Free Member

go 100ft ish past BP and look to your left there is a rough becent which is Weacombe NIKE (just do it)

Feel the flow its a superb run after the initial rough drop it flows beautifully it is the bestest, but beware of the 12ft drop on the right cos it is my landing spot 😕

I may be there on my Cotic simple on sunday subject to weather

coatesy
    Free Member

Haven't been there for years, but Smith's Combe was always a nice descent(with a predictably hard'n'horrible climb back out).

Ambrose

Saladdogger, thanks. Planning to park at CPG. Me on Nicolai, mate on P7. White Astra estate with 'MountainBikeTours' logo or similar.

Ambrose

Found Smith's Combe- I reckon I could link it with Saladdoger's suggestion 🙂

knottie8
    Free Member

local guide …. Concrete block etc hidden single track etc.

or

Stert combe into somerton combe all the way to ladys edge/sheperds combe climb.The great bear , The dog pound(alfoxton) climb , slaughterhouse combe. the single track adjacent the road rom triscombe carpark towards greatwood. the list goes on . Dont bother with smiths combe as the climb out is a barsteward.
    I maybe be up there sunday too.

edit ## must do ….A ride with Sharki as guide !

sharki
    Free Member

Never been, but do as much of the off road stuff you can manage in a day. 😉

knottie8
    Free Member

now now Sharki, ahem .

saladdodger
    Free Member

Mr K

Gotta be s/s cos the 456 has a fugged b/b

May be a safer option

Sharki is that the mythical creature of the Q's 😉

or is that me 😕

Ambrose

Knottie8- I can't find some of the places you mention 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get a local to follow. Its what I did. They are cheap.
    Some of the best riding I have done – so concentrated in such a small place and no respite.

tangent
    Free Member

all of the above…but love these:

Weacoombe is wicked on onside…
    Seaside singletrack on the other side of t'hill is brill…
    Frog Coombe is far our and fab…
    Actually any Coombe is cool…
    And Greatwood is glorious!

Dibbs
    Free Member

On a slightly different note, someone told me the Blue Ball pub at Triscombe has closed, its always struck me as an ideal spot for a MTB centre.

sharki
    Free Member

Not sure whats happening with the Blue Ball Dibbs, was in there early Autumn and although trade looked slow, was under new management, albiet by a young couple with young kids.

The 'Carew arms' seems to be the up and coming pub for riders, they're considering providing an uplift service for riders staying there and/or dinning there.

Knottie just saw your edit.

Aye a guided tour with me when i'm fit is the best way to see most of the trails in a weekends riding, a usual weekends riding would go like this.

Arrive friday PM and if in summer, hit the trails for a teaser, one climb, a spin across the ridge and plummet back to base for beer and grub and more beer.

Early start Sat.. Dawn raid to ride through the sunrise away from the grockles, Share the trails with the Red deer as they make their way back to their day time shelter in the trees, stop for fried noms at either the back of my car or at the end of a 2mile flowing woodsy singletrack descent, climb out and enjoy the scenic traverses as the grub is burnt off, then it's down, up down up, etc snacking all the way, rests whenever, we've got all day…

Depending on the group, the DH trails will be visited so you can experience the more challenging side of the Quantocks, from flowing short jumpy runs, to root infested, tight, twisty steep gnarl of cockercombe south side.
    From there we'll do the classic that is the chimney, then it's one last climb out, past the picnicing families back up to the main heath for one final descent of the day for more eats and beer.

Sunday, later start, crusing the hills, pub lunch, crusing the hills, sleep!

Dibbs
    Free Member

From what I've heard the Blue Ball landlord has tended to look down his/her nose at MTBers in the past, how can any rural pub afford to turn away customers?

sharki
    Free Member

The ones late last year were new in, guess they couldn't make it work.

Most the pubs in Stowey are fine with us as is the Hood arms and the Carew, Bicknoller struggles with hospitality and the plough needs to repair it's tarnished rep.

Rising sun misses out which is a shame as it's a lovely pub.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wanna go back!

jam-bo

me too and I only live just down the road.

jam-bo

http://video.mpora.com/watch/8wesytfmW/hd/true

really good vid of what the DH tracks at triscombe have to offer…

robidoo
    Free Member

I think those wet roots would have me off in seconds.

jam-bo

best not ride triscombe then, its infested with them….

knottie8
    Free Member

Jambo
    I rode the triscombe trails today ! On the wrong bike mind you , SS inbred with the saddle up my arse and tiny spd thingys. Cracking trails .

sharki
    Free Member

Triscombe singletrack is in the worse state if seen it in..at least the second half is…still bonkers fun though right the way along…Brappp!

Ambrose

Yaay- A good day was had by all, Top of Stert Coombe was a bit on the slippy side- Morrasse was the word used I think 😉

Loved the Lady's Edge track, esp the wet bits. Met loads of walkers and a few bikers. Saw one guy riding alone close to Dead Woman's Ditch on a Cotic- Saladdoger, was that you?

Loads of lost Dukes of Edinburgh types (some covered in warpaint?- WTF is going on here?), and best of all, on top of Beacon Hill, this woman approaches us to ask if we could show her where she was. Lady passes map over with the words- 'I can read a map, it's just that I don't know where I am!' closely followed by 'The group I was leaving has left me' and then 'Oh, so that's what the little blue triangle means, I'll write that down on the side of the map'. I hope she's OK

Pub (Plough) good beer, real fire 🙂 🙂
    Cafe- Coombe House Hotel- £8:00 for three teas and a bun- What the **** is that all about! I'm glad that I wasn't paying.

saladdodger
    Free Member

No sorry, wife duties interfered AGAIN 👿

Ambrose

In true 'Arnie' style- I'll be back…

sharki
    Free Member

So will i….sometime…hopefully.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Went to the Quantocks on Sunday. Trails are dry and fast had a great time. Weather was perfect too.

steved

The Blue Ball is just closed for refurbishments!

knottie8
    Free Member

But the Plough in Holford is now biker friendly.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Raining on the Quantocks at the moment, looks like there will be showers all weekend but Sunday is going to be the best weather.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I might come over to the Qs on Sunday as I have the day free.

Ambrose

The Plough is biker friendly that provided tall Welsh blokes don't pitch up on international day bragging about the match :0

Ambrose

The Plough is biker friendly that provided tall Welsh blokes don't pitch up on international day bragging about the match :0

knottie8
    Free Member

Buzz
    may well bump into you up there.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Singletrackmonkey and I will also be there Sunday. Early till about mid afternoon, probably doing a bit of 'I wonder where this goes'.

Look for another red 456, also SS, with black forks. I'll be the one without the knee bandage!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Air ambulance alert*

Saladdodger has a sunday pass*

Revenge of Weacombe is in order :twisted:*

*read page 103 of this months mag and you will understand

knottie8
    Free Member

Oh dear (must pack extra first aid stuff). Oh and pack a 'chute this time .

andy
    Call Anna before sunday please.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Will do

btw I do have my own Winnie the Poo plasters

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘'Must do' Quantocks suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.