Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Multiple wheelsets on the same frame
  • nick1c
    Free Member

A question for all you multiple wheelset owners – do you have the same make /model of hubs on each set so your discs & calipers align properly – I have some XT wheels & like the idea of trying Hope/Flows, but don't want to be continually re-shimming my calipers.

Tim
    Free Member

they SHOULD be the the same 🙂 but you can shim the actual disc out so they match anyway without touching the caliper

well, as long as they are all 6-bolt (centrelock complicates matters)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I run a couple of different sets on my big bike. Similar hubs (Pro2 and bulb), but not identical. All my brake calipers are post mount though, so it's a 10 second job to recentre them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boxelder

I run 3 x Pro2's on two different frames. As tim says, you just shim the rotor if needed. It's cassette/chain wear that causes more bother.

speaker2animals

I bought a pair of Hope Pro hubbed wheels to act as an alternative to my LX hubbed ones some years ago. Idea being to have a set of slicks for commute and knobblies for off road. The centres were obviously out so the indexed gears didn't work after the swap. No brake problems as it was pre Disk for me.

Stick to the same hibs if you don't want any faff (or at least the same hubs).

aracer
    Free Member

I've got completely different hubs (Tune and AC/DT240) and just shim the discs on one set. The indexing still works fine.

nick1c
    Free Member

…..The XT hubs are centrelock – does that make it a non-starter?

aracer
    Free Member

Depends whether they're the ones that need shimming (may be possible even so, but I wouldn't know!)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

never occurred to me to shim the rotor, but when I got a second lighter pair of wheels (with Hope XC hubs) they held the rotor so much more inboard than the shimano hubs I had to shim the caliper mount, it'd gone beyond the range of sideways adjustment you get from post-mount brakes (running Hayes).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Multiple wheelsets on the same frame’ is closed to new replies.