Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Multi room on the cheap?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi all, I want to have a one box source & amp solution including DAB & ipod to run two set of speakers in two rooms, I would like to either switch between the two or run both at the same time.
    I have seen the Teac CR-H500 DNT & I think that it has an A,B or A+B switch, the WiFi appeals, but it is quite a big unit to hide.

So who has the solution for a two room system that my wife can use (no ipod or music on her phone) without costing a fortune?

Many thank in advance, but a virtual beer & a hug are waiting for any really clever ideas 🙂

Cheers.

PePPeR

I have a friend who does this sort of thing for a living, unfortunately he isn’t cheap!

I’ll have a word with through.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what is your budget?

Logitech is the cheapest wifi solution. Apple stuff won’t play different stuff in different rooms. NOt sure what to suggest

dr_death
    Free Member

Seconded that Logitech is probably the answer…

mefty
    Free Member

Do you want the ability to play different things in different rooms? It reads as if you don’t then my system would work.

I use one of these switch boxes. I run it off an AV amp, front speaks get fed through switch, others goes direct to speaks. Switch feeds floor standers in the sitting room, front speaks in the surround system in the TV/family room and ceiling speakers in the dining and kitchen area. You can have any of the speakers active or all or any combination thereof. Simple and cheap.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks for the above, I do want the same music in each room, I couldn’t handle the conflict of 2 or 3 music sources in a house the size of mine 🙂
    I had looked at the switches, but my main problem is the size of a proper amp, I’ll look into Logitech, and wait to hear from Pepper 😉
    Cheers.

PePPeR

Martin I was trying to get hold of the friend who I mentioned who still hasn’t got back to me, but another colleague who I was discussing this with worked for Sony, he suggested you look at the Sony Giga Juke, he was telling me its an amazing piece of kit, it may be discontinued now but I’m sure if you look around you’d find one somewhere.

Will still keep trying though.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

You can get get tiny digital amps these days (google “TA digital amp”) that could drive speakers in a separate room if your current source has a source out connector. If you don’t want room B playing don’t turn on the amp, though it’s downside it you can’t play room B only.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Apple TV will play different stuff (though re-reading i’m not sure that’s what you want!) wirelessly. it’s really good, though you need a screen attached to it to work unless you use your phone as the remote.

PePPeR

That Giga Juke had wireless speaker (at least one model of them did anyway)

tall_martin

I have a 2nd hand yamaha separates system in the dining room and kitchen. 2 sets of speakers, 2 sets of wires, a bit of head scratching as to how to hide the wires and its all set to go. £90 for amp, cd, radio and socket for ipod/ laptop for digital radio.

Its a big chunk of stereo no chance of hiding it whatsoever:)

There is 2 buttons on the front for the 2 sets of speakers A and B. Nice and obvious if i just want one set running.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No point in logitech if you don’t want different music in different rooms.

switching sounds good, get some SH kit and away you go.

BigJohn

I have a 2-way speaker switch. I can’t detect a quality drop. I can play music in the kitchen, the living room, or both. It’s nice and small and tucked away so it doesn’t make a mess.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks again, & cheers Richard I appreciate your efforts, but things have now moved on a tad & I have to do three way switching 🙁
    so now we have simple A/B switch out of the equation what next?
    I know you can buy a simple in wall amp like a Nuvo, but that means three of them & I’m not sure that will cut it with the wife, she wants funky & cutting edge, but I want cheap & simple.

I have been searching for three days now, I need a break 🙄

PePPeR

If I were going to be doing it properly then I’d be looking at a control 4 installation;)

I like the way you can be listening to different music in different rooms at the same time!

PePPeR

There’s a controller up on ebay at the moment!!!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Cheers Rich, but I have gone for a Vision in wall amp for two zones for now as the budget has been blown big time, that & separate zones don’t work in the shoebox I live in 🙁

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For anyone that cares, in the end I went

A squeezbox

2x the weakest link

Kef for the bathroom

& these for the ‘consevatory’

One day I will add decent amp/s so bass could become a reality, but maybe after the kids leave home, so about 2030 should do it 😉

Cheers for the advice & opinions.

stew1982
    Free Member

have a look at some of the ONKYO AV Amps – mine is fairly low down the range, but has 2 seperate sets of speaker outs (1 set is 5.1 surround sound, the other a set of stereo speaker connections, so I can play music to either or both sets at the same time.

works really well and paired with an apple airport express allows me to stream my entire iTunes library and control it through my iPhone/ipad.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Multi room on the cheap?’ is closed to new replies.