Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mudguard Recommendations?
  • seven
    Free Member

I use an old MTB, running an old pair of ’04 Fox Talas forks, as my commute bike (potholes in leeds require this level of suspension 🙂 )

Now that winter is heading this way I’m looking for your recommendations on a front mudguard for the above spec, to keep as much spray off me as possible.

Cheers

ruscle
    Free Member

mucky nutz fender bender, really cheap.

jp-t853

What size tyres are you using?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Mucky Nutz Bender Fender 2.1 and a set of Cycraguard mudguards. After using both a Benfer Fender and Neoguard, the Bender Fender is better at keeping the cr@p off your face and it also stops the mud and dirt from getting to your fork stanchions.

stumpy01

Someone on here the other day mentioned the Zefal No Mud guard.

It can be clamped to the fork lowers and looks to offer good protection. Cyclestore UK currently have it at a good price.

z1ppy

Topeak SKS shockguard for something that just works but looks like a mudguard.
    Neoguard and downtube mounted crudcatcher, for ‘almost’ the same protection but more subtle styling (you need both to work, neither is much cop on it’s own)…

seven
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll have a look at some of those.

@jp-t853 – I’m running 1.5 slicks as it is a road based commute

fbk
    Free Member

Another vote for the Fender Bender. Cheap, looks a bit better than the neoguard/inner tube option (IMHO) and offers a little more protection to your stanchions. The only problem I’ve had with it is a slightly reduced tyre clearance so mud/sticks tend to rub a bit sometimes.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Crud catcher and neoguard combination works really well for me, keeps all the spray and mud off me 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

And still no one does a swingarm mounted rear mudguard that works.

z1ppy

eh? This thread about front mudguards & you obviously haven’t seen the decathlon one and the zefal copy then?

Northwind

If you actually want a mudguard, get a Shockboard or similiar, crown-mounted guards make it obvious how bad most of the alternatives are. Shockboard’s mounts are terrible but the mudguard itself makes up for it.

If you want a bit of mudproofing but you don’t want a mudguard, then the Bender Fender is ace- mine stay on the bikes year round, except when the Shockboards go on. Neoguard is just as effective, but with some drawbacks.

And if you don’t really want a mudguard, and don’t actually care if it works, then a downtube guard. You’ll still get just as muddy but at least you’ll be able to tell yourself you tried 😉 (ideal if you want to complain on internet forums about mudguards being useless)

stumpy01

joolsburger – Member
    And still no one does a swingarm mounted rear mudguard that works.

erm…..what like this one?

Zefal No Mud as mentioned above. Unless you’ve got a swingarm design like an Orange 5 or a Whyte E-120…..

seven
    Free Member

cheers all.

given the biggest problem is the spray off the front wheel on the fast downhill roads i’ve gone for a set of toepeak defenders.

but some of the other ideas may well see themselves on the off road bike over the winter.

cheers again

joolsburger
    Free Member

hooray things to buy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mudguard Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.