Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • mud tyres for ht 29er?
  • flebby
    Free Member

Sorry its another tyre thread but….
    Could anyone recommend my dad a good 29er tyre that’s good for muddy conditions?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

bontrager mud x

or even a bontrager acx

thomthumb
    Free Member

mud x is the only ‘mud tyre’ for 29ers.

i have mud x for mine, i ran acx and some cheapo thing last year which did pretty good.

looking at the mud x they are a lot smoother (between the knobs) than the acx so hopefully will shed mud better….

flebby
    Free Member

Cool cheers guys

tazzymtb

29er 2.25 nobby nics have blown my mud X’s out of the water. Far better tyre for the type of muddy gritty sloppy muck where I ride.

mountain kings are also a very good tyre for muddy conditions

dobo
    Free Member

if its proper mud your dealing with then some cx tyres would do the job well, they usually skinny but probably some fatish ones around, they certainly be faster than a mudx too

Clink

Where did you get the Nobby Nics from?

stooo
    Free Member

+1 for Bonty mud-x.

Running them on the 29er. Super impressed with them. Roll faster than expected loads of grip and pretty impressive in the 3″ of powdery snow today too. About to buy a pair for the 26″ bike too.

Clink
    tang
    Free Member

mud x are great but im also still running nobby nic, coping very well.

tazzymtb

CLink I got mine from 29squadron in Belgium, singlespeed.nl also do them. I’ve also got some 2.25 rocket ron 29ers for the spring and they look ace!

if anyone wants some bonty mud x 29er TLR tyres 2.0 about 4 rides old let me know as the tyre mountain needs to be reduced a bit again!

flebby
    Free Member

having real trouble finding the Nobby nics for sale anywhere online uk wise….

tazzy – what were 29squadron like to buy from ? I would need them fairly quickly is all….

mind you i really like the look of those beavers.

or theres always the bont x’s i suppose.

too many choices! wondering if i should be really buying tyres as a gift for someone anyway really (?)

Dan1502
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting some Nobby Nics and Rocket Rons too. I go over to Germany every now and then (my wife is German) so if I can sort out a decent German supplier I could get them sent to her Mum’s and pick them up. I might even try and get hold of a few if there’s demand.

thomthumb
    Free Member

spot the difference!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I don’t think many places, if any have stocks of NN’s

If anyone knows of stock, spill it

Dan1502
    Free Member

Just found 2011 2.35 Snakeskin Nobby Nics for about £32 delivered to Germany. I’m not sure if they’ll post to the uk but that’s not a problem for me. They’re 725g though so I might go for the 2.25s but then again the grip of those must be great for a winter/bad weather tyre.

Dan1502
    Free Member

Same price for 2.25 and they’re the new tubeless ready versions (650g)

Clink

Where from?

Dan1502
    Free Member

I think shipping to Germany is free on orders over 100 Euros or about 10 Euro to the UK

Dan1502
    Free Member

I haven’t really searched yet either. I shall be builing my bike over the next month or two so shall start looking around for the best deals and maybe get my wife to phone a few places.

Bimbler
    Free Member

tazzy – I’m interested in your 29er Mud-x, email in profile (still?)

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 mud-x, I was dubious about bonty tyres after finding the ones that came on my first trek were horrid in all conditions, but love the mud-x even in the snow…

bonesetter
    Free Member

What about the Stout?

BTW – bikediscount.com is where I have had some NN’s on order from for the past few weeks. They’re saying early Dec for new stock

Clink

Stouts are a grand tyre – just bloody heavy!

triple_s

Just to make your choice a bit more confusing, Michelin XC All Terrain? I picked some up dirt cheap on ebay aaaages ago. Really impressed with them, roll very well runing mine tubeless without any problems(on Stans rims).

bonesetter
    Free Member

My rear choice is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Clink

Just to make your choice a bit more confusing, Michelin XC All Terrain? I picked some up dirt cheap on ebay aaaages ago. Really impressed with them, roll very well runing mine tubeless without any problems(on Stans rims).

Agree – not bad in mud but quite hard compound (I think?) and have found they are not so good on wet rock/roots.

Clobber
    Free Member

Fire XC pro just clogs in the mud round by us… Fire Mud ok but low volume and not very comfy on a hardtail and quite draggy.

tazzymtb

bonesetter, nobby nics at 29squadron and singlespeed.nl

29squadron were fine to deal with took about 4 days for delivery and cheaper than singlespeed.nl

I’m running the normal 2.25 allgrounders with stans no problems at all and lighter than the 2011 tubeless ready versions although the 2.35 looks ace as front tyre for stiff frontage

bonesetter
    Free Member

thanks, but 29squad ss.nl say none in stock and no estimate 😥

tazzymtb

I must have had the last of them, if it’s any consolation they are very nice indeed for me, but you wouldn’t like them so you’ve saved your money 😀

scud
    Free Member

Looked everywhere for Mud X tyres, all shops seem to charging around £30 each except here:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119517.html

Down to £24.98 a piece if anyones looking

flatfish
    Free Member

mine arrived from all terrain today 53 quid-ish for a pair inc. postage.

bonesetter
    Free Member

hey Tazzy, mine are on order dude 😀

tazzymtb

yey!

*high fives bonsetter*

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘mud tyres for ht 29er?’ is closed to new replies.