Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Mud guard or waterproof shorts?
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

My butt is getting cold and wet!!

Who uses a mudguard? Kinda spoils the look of the bike I think.
    Are shorts / 3/4 trs better?

Any recommendations for some decent trs/ shorts?

MicArms

cold and wet or bike lines spoilt?
    The bike will be covered in crap anyhow.

Mudguards on my bikes , and if the LBS ever gets my size in the bnew MT500 waterproof shorts too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mudguards. Why compromise function for looks?

Carpediem
    Free Member

Reply to MicArms:Cold and wet… 🙁

Underhill
    Free Member

Shorts. Form always beats function.

druidh
    Free Member

Clink

Based upon yesterday on the Mendips, both!!

cp

I use both…!

sobriety
    Free Member

THE Fender with the stickers removed is what i use, looks ok suprisingly enough!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Druidh: What is that ^^ on the back, looks better than many and presumably can't be pushed off to the side.

I just use a home-made neoguard at the front at the moment and a pair of cut down army gortex trousers to keep my back end dry. Neoguard thing works remarkably well and the gortex shorts are still 100% dry. May still be tempted by a rear guard if I can overcome the ribbing I'll get from my riding mates (who I've been ribbing for having mudguards 🙁 )

Edit: May as well add that the Endura Stealth I bought after a soaking ride last November has certainly been one of my better purchases recently, dry as a bone although too warm sometimes.

nickc

Afan yesterday, couple with mud-guards, one with waterproof shorts, all equally cold and wet at the end of the day.

Pick one, and then spend the time practicing scowling at the people who choose the other…It's as good a way of spending your time…

clubber
    Free Member

mudguards and for really bad days or long rides, waterproof shorts too.

Mudguards don't look great but then neither do the mud spatters on your @rse that make you look like something out of the picolax thread 😉

oh and your washing machine lasts longer that way IME meaning more cash to spend on bikes 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it's really foul, BOTH!

I've always found it astonishing that some people won't use Crud Guards or similar. There's no sense in it at all…… 😕

Intense-Pilot

All my bikes are fitted with mud guards in the winter (and the whole of last year's grotty summer!) and I use Endura Superlight shorts when it's chucking it down, otherwise normal baggies.

starseven
    Free Member

Both

br
    Free Member

3 Crud products for me; Fender, Catcher and a Rear.

Why not?

cookeaa

+1 for the Surplus Army trousers cut offs, out in the mud yesterday wearing just those and some padded boxers without a rear mud guard, they worked a treat, lower legs will get sprayed no matter what you use, a good layer of mud though acts as a nice insulator.

Crud catcher/chopped bit of inner tube up front to keep the shit out of your face, but no point in the old whale tails, seem to do naff all, and will get knocked sideways as soon as you get a bit “Physical” with the bike…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mudguards every time, bike is for riding, not looking/being looked at.

chakaping
    Free Member

Waterproof shorts and a front guard for me.

Had a rear crud guard but only used it for one ride, hardly made any difference to how wet I got.

If you ride in the rain, waterproof shorts have to make more sense.

z1ppy

Both

soobalias
    Free Member

both

after a good clean, and on a sunny summers day on dusty trails, my bike looks love-r-ly without its mudguards.

but from October to March it has mudguards and looks like you wouldnt want to touch it.

RickSpangle
    Free Member

shorts…mudguards just look a bit "halfords" to me.

shortcut

Crud products for me.

Although the new guard is pants and falls apart.

If it is raining hard enough to need waterproof shourts you'll be very wet anyway so I don't bother with waterproof shorts. If it's that wet I may not bother riding either!

Carpediem
    Free Member

Thanks all.Think I'll go with the shorts at first and see what damage there is.You know this Welsh weather: Either it's raining or it's going to rain !!

scruff
    Free Member

If you ride properly a rear mudguard will be in the way and / or break.

Most nobends with rear mudguards have em off at an angle anywayz.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Mudguard. Keeps some of the shite off the seatpost/seat tube junction as well as off me.

Thinking of going down the cut down DPM goretex trousers route as well though.

simon_g

Waterproof shorts are the best thing I've bought this winter. You still end up with a wet arse if it's really wet and you're riding for a few hours, but better than being wet from the start.

I usually use a front crud catcher, tried a couple of rear ones and they usually end up slipping or breaking so I haven't bothered trying again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scruff – Member

If you ride properly a rear mudguard will be in the way and / or break.

Most nobends with rear mudguards have em off at an angle anywayz.

One of the most stupid things I have seen on here.

A properly fitted rear mudguard does not get in the way

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Oi! DruidH! What is that rear mudguard on your bike? I really like the look of it, but you don't seem to sell it in your shop. Where can I get one? Ta, C.

scruff
    Free Member

TJ,as I said if your riding properly any mudguard gets in the way.

nickegg
    Free Member

Endura 3/4 Venturi waterproofs here…

I have broken every single mudguard i've ever fitted. Waste of time IMO. Nor do they work well.

TooTall
    Free Member

I've used both at different times. I have noticed that just waterproof shorts will reduce the life of your saddle as you lash mud up your back & aerse then work it into the seat throughout the ride.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Ridiculous rubbish. You get to within a couple of inches of your tyre? Or you can't fit a mudguard properly?

Just utter rubbish. Try telling all the real good riders I see who ride with mudguards that

TheSlider
    Free Member

CHRISSYBOY that mudguard is from Decathlon. Needs brake bosses ofcourse…

cheers_drive

Neo guard is always on – keeps the crap out of your eyes on fast descents.
    Front crud sometimes – Not as useful as the Neo guard, but stop splash up from puddles.
    Rear guard hardly ever – Mainly on long rides but it always feels in the way on singletrack and looks naf when used on a Gravity Dropper post.
    Waterproof shorts nearly always – Really good at keeping you dry and comfortable and makes changing afterwards easier. I'm not sure how long they will last being ground against the saddle with a mud grit paste.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Both. Crud guards front and rear for me, and I just ordered some army surplus goretex trousers after getting drenched on Sunday. That should do the trick.

clubber
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Seriously? Define "properly" – the only riding I can think of where it could conceivably get in the way is on really steep stuff where your shorts would be buzzing the rear tyre but then if your mudguard's set up properly, it'd only reduce clearance by an inch or so. And that's a pretty flimsy reason.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

that decathlon guard does look a lot less special than most.

For me? neither, the peak district is rocky so never saw the need. Just avoided the touristy/muddy runs through the winter and balka is the last bit before home so doesn't matter.

Might search out one of those decathlon ones though for the chilterns.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Cheers TS, that looks like the feller…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-rear-17251445/

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheers TS, that looks like the feller…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-rear-17251445/

shucks……. no V brake mounts on my 456 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Mud guard or waterproof shorts?’ is closed to new replies.