Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • mtb/roadie average speed comparison
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

'aracer' I cant really be arsed to push this much further… you just said the races you have done go faster than that for BURSTS. so thats not average is it.

then shown me a picture of a tandem. so thats two sets of legs. good comparison.

then claim that a racing roady AT THE FRONT can do 26mph average on a road bike. and that you can sustain 23mph on an mtb. right…

2008 TdF. average speed was 25.1mph…

and i know im not comapring eggs with eggs as this is an overall average. but im fairly sure that was the point. not 'how fast can you go on the flat as a maximum speed?' but how fast can you AVERAGE.

tracknicko
    Free Member

sorry double post – or rather i lost my first post and wrote something else. i realise it was inflammatry and will shut my fat trap before i spend all day in heated debate.

if you can maintain 23mph on an MTB i am more than impressed.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Between 15 and 17 miles an hour average on the road bike (actual average including stops, not a moving/cheating average) on my 16 mile commute (about 1200 feet of climbing).

I can keep up about 12-13 miles an hour average on the mountain bike for an hour on the same roads (with 2.3" knobblies at low pressure though).

Joe

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willsimmons
    Free Member

Average speed is totally meaningless. An average of 12 mph for 1 hour isn't 'better' than 11 mph for 5 hours, the same with comparing a flat ride to a hilly one, a technical singletrack one to a doubletracked moorland ride etc etc.

If you like to keep your speed high then don't go to any mountains, you'll be struggling to keep 10 kmh on a 15% offroad grade for 3 hour climbs. That instantly makes you crap.

A lot of pointless willy waving as well. Sticking in your average speed for a time trial for example.

aracer
    Free Member

'aracer' I cant really be arsed to push this much further

Well don't then – I sighed when I read your post, you seem to have so thoroughly missed the point.

Races go faster in bursts because that's the way road races work (which you quite clearly don't have a clue about). If they really wanted to cover the course as fast as possible, even a 4th cat race could doubtless average high 20s mph.

The fact it's a tandem doesn't change the fact it's a roadified MTB. The only pic I could find of the bloke on the front on a solo MTB didn't work on here, hence that one. Hint: check out the pictures's URL, that might give you a clue who they are and what they've just done – otherwise the other picture is on http://robcrayton.blogspot.com/2009/03/kilotogo-uci-cheshire-cat-2009.html

Re-read my post – I'm saying that the roadies at the front can do at least 26mph for a time trial on their own – they'll be doing rather more when taking turns on the front in a road race (I should know, I was one once).

TdF has some rather big hills, which I might struggle to average 23mph over.

The 23mph I'm claiming is an AVERAGE speed for 10 miles. Not sure why you're so disbelieving – I've also given my road bike speed on that course (not a brilliant course, I've been faster on others), so what do you think I have to gain by making it up?

tracknicko
    Free Member

Nothing at all to gain… As i said I'm more than impressed by your speed. Well done. Fastest rider i've met in my life so far i think. If only i had a clue eh?

crazy-legs

Yeah, need to say what kind of course/road surface/weather and what type of bike – one persons idea of "road bike" is another persons idea of "tourer".

As a rough guide, most of my road rides seem to average 16-18mph. I can get higher (my commute into work is mostly downhill so I can get 20ish if the traffic is light). I try to avoid riding my MTB on the road for prolonged periods so no real idea of average speed there – probably in the order of 12mph or so.

Road races are a completely different kettle of fish. A typical 3/4 will be about 22mph average, E/1/2 will be up at 26ish. I've done crits that have averaged 29mph and that was unbelievably fast, there is NO rest in something that quick.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think I managed to do 18miles in about 1 hour on my dialled alpine with a 1×9 setup and 2.35 maxxis high rollers on. It was only about 3 minutes over an hour so i guess about an 18mph average speed.

Did the same route on my road bike on saturday and i got about the same time. My fitness must have dropped off i guess

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘mtb/roadie average speed comparison’ is closed to new replies.