Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTB travel insurance !
  • Mark_K

Going to Morzine in a few weeks and looking to get travel insurance that will cover MTBing with out costing the earth !
    Any suggestions or recommendations ?

andrewh
    Free Member

I used Dogtag for my trip to Oz as they were the only ones I could find who would cover racing. About £60 if i remember right for 30 days.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Snowcard or Dogtag

Mark_K

Cheers guys Dogtag it is 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Dogtag are cool because you get a dogtag. It does tug annoyingly on the hair on the back of your neck though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yeh, Dogtag etc offer premiums that escalate with the perceived risk. i.e You pay more for “downhilling” relative to “touring”.

M&S travel insurance does not diferentiate. You simply have cover for cycling and this covers all disciplines (not sure about racing though).

Think I paid about £15 for ten days.

HTH

jhw
    Free Member

Do M&S cover mountain rescue – thought this was Snowcard’s USP

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Do M&S cover mountain rescue – thought this was Snowcard’s USP

Almost any policy will cover “evacuation/transport to hospital”, regardless of who performs this. Definately not a USP.

The diferentiators between policies are mainly:
    1. What excess is payable
    2. What exclusions are made (eg my free travel insurance associated with my current account is happy to cover off-piste skiing but doesn’t cover off-road cycling in any form…WTF)

BoardinBob

On a related note, I have an RBS Royalties Gold account with “5 star defacto” travel insurance which includes winter sports. Anyone had actual experience of them covering a biking holiday? No exclusion for mountain biking in their T&Cs and the fact that it automatically includes winter sport cover gives me some hope.

portlyone

Thanks for the reminder! Just covered myself.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

BoardinBob,

My freeby cover is with a Barclays Premier account.
    Whilst mine does have a specific exclusion for MTBing, if yours doesn’t then you are covered.
    I do have experience of a winter sports claim this year on my freeby insurance. (My wife was hit by a snowboarder and had to have three titanium plates inserted in her face to reconstruct her cheek and eye socket!!!) They were very good and paid for everything promptly and usually directly to avoid us having to pay and claim. Our costs and losses were assessed and paid very promptly too.
    Just ‘cos it’s a freeby doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily substandard cover.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Easyjet, cost £12 when I bought my ticket.

Only covers £250 for the bike, but the medical cover included mountainbiking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MTB travel insurance !’ is closed to new replies.