Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • MTB skills courses
  • Kip

After the birth of Baby Kip, Mr Kip has decided to buy me a skills day as a pressie. I'm not a bad rider (confident and decent speed at Afan on all trails, really like and can blast Llandegla) but 9 or so months off the bike makes a difference to confidence. I'm starting back after the go ahead from Dr's and would really like to improve my technical skills including drop offs, jumps (and landings…not so good at them) and speed cornering.
    Can anyone recommend a course (or ones to steer clear of). I'm happy to join others (cheaper I expect) and don't care if it's female only or mixed groups. Video analysis would be nice but not necessary.
    We live in the SW but are on school hols and will be heading to the NW. Wales is also possible as is Northern Ireland where we are visiting in a few weeks.
    Cheers.

neninja
    Free Member

Great Rock aka Ed Oxley are based in the NW – Gisburn Forest/Lee Quarry

I've booked with a couple of friends for a days coaching with Ed for next Monday. Really looking forward to it as I've heard loads of positive feedback about his courses.

TheWhyteFox
    Free Member

Hi Pip

There's a couple of guys based in Exeter who do skills courses. They get most of thir work through word of mouth and like to keep things in small groups.

They ride on Dartmoor, Exmoor, Quantocks as well as Woodbury.

They don't appear to have a website but their email is ridemoormtb@gmail.com

I've never used them but I know people who have and reports are pretty good.

Regards

WF

stumpyjon

In the NorthWest I can recommend both Ed Oxley (GreatRock) and Anthony O'Connor (trailmotions.co.uk). Both use Gisburn Forest.

Euro
    Free Member

When in Norn Iron, give Glyn a shout. Fast corners and drops are a speciality 😆

http://www.firsttracksguiding.com/

Kip

Neninja
    Would be really good hear some feedback on the course, especially whether or not Ed is able to focus on the areas you want to develop as opposed to having to compromise because others have different weak spots.

Must admit his site looks good and may well book anyway, especially as others recommend him.

Whyte fox
    Who are the Exeter guys? I ride alot around there and know many riders so may know them or someone who does.

StuF

AQR were good and helped me to polish my dodge cornering – I think they some courses over near Stoke

Kip

AQR sound great but not available during the summer as they are in France! Jammy gits, hey-ho maybe next year when Baby Kip is older.

tomhughes46

Had a couple of hours with Tony from Evolve. He's based in Teignmouth I think, but met him at Woodbury, and might have another at Gawton when I get paid.

He was really friendly and helpful.

neninja
    Free Member

I'll let you know my thoughts when I get back.

I booked him for a private group day as there were no open dates until mid August. There are 3 (or maybe 4) of us with pretty different levels of experience so it will be interesting to see how it works.

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

+1 for Ed Oxley. We did a guided ride with him in a very mixed ability group of 6 and he slotted in some quite useful skills stuff on quality Hebden singletrack. Some of the purpose built places might suit your needs better though! Ed is a top bloke and I would suggest emailing him and chatting about what you are after.

In the longer term (one just ran…) there are occasional "air vixen" jump courses at Glentress.

Kip

Anyone used Forest Freeride? Seem to be good as well and adaptable. Stll liking the look of Ed though!

TheWhyteFox
    Free Member

Adam and Simon (not sure of surnames I'm afraid). They mainly ride the Dartmoor area where they do guided rides and skills coaching.

I'll try and find out some more details for you but it may be worth dropping them an email as they appear to be very flexible to people's needs and where people want to ride. And as I've said above I've heard nothing but good things from people who have had fun days out with them.

I would use them but I know Dartmoor like the back of my hand!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hey Kip. Congrats on the birth of baby kip! Mini MountainMonkey is now 3.5 months old and I'm in a similar position to you, just getting back on the bike properly now.

Mr. MountainMonkey and I have been talking about a skills day for me too – like you say confidence can definitely take a knock after 9 months off – so if you find someone good, would you mind letting me know?

It actually sounds like we might be of a similar ability too* (though I could be deluded!), so if you fancied joining up for a day (as I'd like to work on the same things as you along with my cornering technique) I'd be up for that. No worries if you don't though, but I'd still be interested to hear how you got on.

Cheers! MM

*I'm pretty crap at jumps as I've only just started riding flats on the odd not too technical ride, having always just 'spud-hopped' rather than actually jumped.

Pz_Steve

Hi Kip,

I'm signed up for a 1-day course next month, with "Fully sussed" just outside Plymouth. Will let you know what it's like…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'd say have a chat to Tony at UK Bikeskills (www.ukbikeskills.co.uk) he is more than able to show you through what you are asking. My riding has come on leads and bounds since seeing him last year.

snowslave

7 of us did a course with Ed of Great Rock fame – everyone thought it v good indeed, well worth it…

akira

UK bike skills are pretty good, I've been riding for years and still managed to take a lot away from the day. Bad habits all over the place.

nols
    Free Member

Have a chat with Tony (UK Bike Skills) Amazing rider and top bloke.

Hooter
    Free Member

Me and the SO have been on separate courses at Llandegla and got quite a lot out of them. She got much more DH confidence and I could never do a proper bunnyhop before…

Kip

Yeah, was also thinking about Jedi as well but it's only me (so quite expensive) and not the most accessible in Hertfordshire (mileage is alot to travel to darkest Devon).
    MountainMonkey – whereabouts are you? Looks like Bristol from your posts previously but not sure. I'm lucky (as it sounds like you are) that Mr Kip is very supportive of my riding and we do tag team parenting when doing laps of our local loop. The thing about the course for us is that we will work it around trips to my parents so accomodation isn't a problem, and that's why we'll probably go with Ed Oxley. However, if we do book something I'll let you know, if you want to join me. I think the Intermediate course has spaces in August, can't remember exact date though. (21st/22nd August)

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I meet the ridemoor guys when doing the same course, both good riders, Adam is pretty trick on a bike.

Also check out "fully sussed" Jay and Maddie. Maddie just got 2nd in the elites at the Nat champs on Sunday. (she is also a Teach so good at er teaching!) Also they run the fully sussed MTB race series in the south west.

AQR I am sure there are UK based skill days, which are run by guys which Ian and Kate Potter (yes the Kate Potter who races world cup XC)have trained to their high standards. be worth check there web site or ringing.

hope that helps best of luck, enjoy ridding and you old skills will come back quickly.

timpol
    Free Member

Another vote for Jedi, an exceptional coach and rider. The cost is cheaper than alot of bike parts these days.

jedi

cheers for the kind words tim. 🙂

scant
    Free Member

http://www.cwmride.co.uk based out of cwmcarn & S.E.Wales.

U31
    Free Member

Ed from great rock gives you a skills base that you take away from the day and build on at your own pace during your daily riding, imho..
    Its a group session but you get lots of one to one insights and tips as the other group members session the skills being taught.
    Nothing is forced on you and if something is a problem or to much /big to you, its no biggie, a word or two of encouragement and tips are given -you then take these snippets of wisdom away to try in your own time..

I cant- never have been able to nor think i will ever be able to, manual or unweight rear… ive known the theory since ive been riding but still cant do it. Ed taught us the skills on the day but i still couldnt nail it.
    My plan now is to session manualing (and other skills i was ok at on the day) as much as i can using Ed's methods- I know they work as other group members were getting good, and keep at it till i can do it at a basic level, and then arrange for another skills day to see what bad habbits ive picked up on my own.

Highly recomended.

People on here and other MTB sites also give a massive thumbs up for Jedi, and i hope one day to travel to one of his coaching days to see if there is any difference of opinion that i can incorporate in to my riding!

neninja
    Free Member

Spent the day with Ed and a couple of friends yesterday.

He's a very patient teacher and we all had a great day. The 3 of us were at quite different levels of experience (me being the least experienced) but he was able to strike a balance that worked for all of us.

I can second what U31 says. Ed gives you lots of guidance and advice that you can take away and practise. You might not be able to get it right in the one day but know what technique you should be using to experiment when you get home. Once I can consistently do what he showed us yesterday I'll book another day with him to follow on.

footstomper
    Free Member

I think the Intermediate course has spaces in August, can't remember exact date though. (21st/22nd August)

Yes the dates are correct, I have booked onto the course after hearing very good things regarding Ed. My Wife and her freind went on his (Stop Crashing Course) this last Sunday and both where very pleased with what they where taught and also how Patient Ed is with everyone, absolutely no pressure to do anything you are not confident about. I am really looking forward to learning new skills and improving on what I think I already know 😳

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘MTB skills courses’ is closed to new replies.