Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • MTB saddle on RB – fail
  • speaker2animals

I’ve used WTB saddles on my MTBs for years and never had a problem at all. As the faux fizik on my Planet X didn’t suit either (as I am a lardy and as it is a cheaper copy) I put a spare WTB on my RB. No help at all. I’ve altered angle but has made virtually no difference. Sort of surprised, though admittedly MTB uses a USE Shok Post and the post on the P-X is a 31.6mm so pretty stiff I assume even though carbon.

Anyone else experienced similar (MTB saddle on RB)? I’m going to try something else. It could be that the back end of the P-X is a bit harsh though not seen it mentioned in reviews.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve never even thought about which saddles go on which bikes, no issues at all.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Use sdg bell airs on all bikes, road and off road.

scaredypants

you spend a lot more of your time sitting down on a road bike – maybe yer ass doesn’t suit wtb as well as you thought

I now have a selle smp on my road bike, though mtb is bel-air

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Padding doesnt really matter, its the shape that needs to be bang on. Find the lightest, sleakest saddle that fits the shape of your arse. I like the Selle Italia SLR (135 grammes!) cos it looks pro, Specialized make some gooduns though.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

madison flux on mine!!

Northwind

My road bike’s had a Charge Knife on it, was fine, and now has a Ragley Cheeky, also fine.

speaker2animals

Maybe the problem is the frame. Never had an issue on my MTB but it’s chronic on my RB. Feels like I’m sat on an iron bar.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you sit further forward on the road bike so the saddle needs to be narrower.

I use a charge spoon & it works great. 🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have a similar dilemma with my ‘cross bike. SDG bel air on the mtbs, fine for 12/24 hour races. For some reason it is never quite as comfy on the road as mtb. I suspect it is as mentioned above – more time sat and also weight further forwards.

MSP

Specialized alias on my mountain bike, selle italia max flight on my road bike works perfectly, swap them over and neither works at all well on the other bike.

atlaz
    Free Member

Selle Italia SL on road bike
    Fizik Gobi XM on FS
    Charge Spoon on HT

Quite happy with the Selle Italia as it looks painful but is in fact really comfy. Considering putting a spare one on the FS as the Gobi isn’t quite my thing.

speaker2animals

Thinking I might just go for a Rolls, used one for a LONG time many years ago and no bother. Though may give a Fizik Aliante Gamma a go first for the more racer look. Yeah cos I’m a racer!

Edric64
    Free Member

I have 13 bikes amd probably 13 different saddles with no problems .I guess my arse has no feeling

speaker2animals

Just in case anyone who replied is interested. Rather than spend money I decided to go back to the Planet X Fizik faux arione just to compare with the WTB. Set it to same angle as the WTB and positioned at the same centre line front to back (the P-X is quite a bit longer).

Result – I’m very pleasantly surprised. Massive improvement in comfort over the WTB. Not very comfy but close to acceptable. I’ll keep going with it for a while.

My only line of thought now is, would a real Fizik Arione be more comfortable? You’d hope that at £70/£80 for the cheapest that it would be better than an imitation but who knows. Anyway for now and the miles I’m riding at present I’ll be sticking with this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘MTB saddle on RB – fail’ is closed to new replies.