Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • MTB Qualifications advice
  • Mounty_73

I quite often assist (not lead) in various outdoor activites with various groups of kids and I have been asked about leading/setting up a MTB module.

Looking at various sites that offer courses, can anyone offer any advice or recommend a centre for qualifications etc, or offer help on the best course of action?

I am based in the Worcestershire area, but I am willing to travel a little further if required..

cupra
    Free Member

It depends what you want to do, lead / guide or coach or both? I have SMBLA for leading and Go-Mountain Bike and British Cycling Level 2 MTB for coaching – scottish based so not much use

RayMazey
    Free Member

We cover –

Coaching / Group Management / Risk assessment / Route planning / Trail repairs.

Based in Rivington (Near Bolton)

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

Mounty_73

Thanks, it would be leading only, in short….its small groups of (troubled) kids that are being encouraged to try out new activities etc.

So I would be looking at getting the right qualifications so that I could lead the groups on short day trips and/or weekends.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Lots of teachers attend the courses. Many work with children with special needs.

Even though your intention is only to Lead. I would be very suprised if the children would not benefit greatly from an element of coaching to minimiser risk and to make the ride more fun / enjoyable.

Mounty_73

RayMazey – good point, thanks for that. I will have a look through your site this evening.

RayMazey
    Free Member

No problem Mounty

Ray

druidh
    Free Member

Do any of the skills courses teach you how to avoid being hit by an antelope?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Mountain Biker gets taken out by BUCK – CRAZY Footage – Only in Africa

Lesson 1: Avoid Africa

That’ll be £20 please.

Mounty_73

I dont think I will be riding/working in Africa any time soon… 😉

That vid is popping up everywhere today! 🙂

RayMazey
    Free Member

:o)

Mounty_73

Looking at various options for the MBLA courses…

MBLA Scheme Pre-Entry Requirements…

Logbook.
    Candidates must be over 18 years old and have Log book evidence of at least 20 mountain bike rides of 1.5hr duration in appropriate terrain, and in a variety of weather and riding conditions. Longer runs of 2-3 hrs duration, with at least one being 6 hours and 2-3 detailed route cards should also be included. The terrain covered should be appropriate to the level of award sought. Logbook sheets are provided within the MBLA Training Manual, included in candidates’ Registration pack.

Evidence of having acted as an assistant leader with a group is recommended, to help acquaint the candidate with the skills and issues covered by the course.

Ideally candidates must have their own bike or at least have easy access to one, e.g. through their Centre or School. Bikes are not provided on the course.

Am I correct in thinking that the above 20 rides in a logbook have to be recorded before you attend a TCL course?

RayMazey – I like your website and set up, unfortunately you only have one date/weekend in November of which I cannot currently attend.

Graham_Clark

Also have a look at the CTC Leadership courses, run all over the Country. Go to http://www.promtb.net and have a look around.

Trekster

Am I correct in thinking that the above 20 rides in a logbook have to be recorded before you attend a TCL course?

Probably depends on who your course provider/tutor is and whether they want that before or after the course and pre assessment. Some let you do the course and then log your rides before your assessment. If you can provide some evidence of experience, start logging your rides asap. Also start practicing your route plans, getting your distances and timing correct. Waterproof pens and plastic/film type boards are good for that or if you have access to GPS/mapping software and waterproof paper even better.

Graham_Clark – Member
    Also have a look at the CTC Leadership courses, run all over the Country. Go to http://www.promtb.net and have a look around.

I have been working with some local schools and one is hoping to set up a club. The school is a new one and has both primary and secondary pupils sharing the same facility. I have suggested they go for CTC qualifications to allow them to do both MTB and Bikeability, something that the primary have been missing out on and likely to do so in the future. CTC covers both disciplines 😆
    Will find out next month what they plan to do.
    will be involved with a local school on this project in Nov & Dec

Mounty_73

Thanks for the info, just searching through the web to see who offers the TCL and what dates are available.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

For MBLA it’s twenty logged rides before training course then an additional 10 logged rides over a minimum 30 days in the consolidation period between training and assessment. Gives a flavour of what kind of riding and experience a candidate has and not just signing up for a course having done very little off road riding before.

MBLA (and CTC I believe too) give access to GoMTB awards and in scotland at least, leaders with a TCL can do a conversion course to deliver bikeability which is the same national standards across the country.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Also bear in mind some MBLA tutors may not have courses scheduled but if you contacted them may have places going on a closed course, or may have others wanting to do a course and just waiting to reach a certain number or may arrange something additional to what dates they may have advertised

Trekster
    Mounty_73

I have just been chatting with a guy who offers the TCL course fairly close to me with dates for November. He is going to email further info.

I have also contacted a couple of other guys, so things are moving along. 🙂

andy7t2
    Free Member

might be worth seeing which qualifications your organisation recognise before booking on.

I have MIAS training and similar to you lead small groups of young people on days out biking

RayMazey
    Free Member

Hi Mounty

Thanks for your positive comments.

Yes, you are correct. We only have one date with availability in November. We had more, but they are now full, as they are limited to 6 participants.

Hope you find something suitable / beneficial.

Ray

donsimon
    Free Member

Lesson 1: Avoid Africa

That’ll be £20 please.
    There is a slight flaw in your business model rob hilton, but for £50.00 I’ll show you where you went wrong.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘MTB Qualifications advice’ is closed to new replies.