Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • mtb guiding and it's rewards..
  • yunki
    Free Member

today I gave a little back to the community and guided a forum member around some of my local trails..

I have been lucky enough to be guided by some very experienced and amiable fellas (crispybacon and trailmonkey) and so I decided that I would borrow some of their guiding tactics..

I explained where we were heading and what we hoped to achieve.. stopping before each descent to explain the nature of the descent and to warn of potential hazards.. we made friendly chit chat and engaged in a little banter and shared a few appropriate anecdotes.. We also stopped at vantage points to admire the stunning scenery and views and point out things of interest..

I decided at this point to add a couple of my own ideas for making the day more enjoyable..

point 1.. Zen Meditation..

I encouraged patience and a zenlike calm in my guidee by making him wait for his overweight and constipated wheezing moaning tour guide to sweatily and swearily push to the top of every slight incline.. redfaced and panting I would groan and hack my way up the rocky trails, slipping and stumbling at every opportunity..
    My guidee was an excellent student and only begged me to stop complaining once in 2000ft of vertical ascent..

point2.. transcending earthly bonds..

Spurred on by his natural ability for acheiving enlightenment I tried to inspire him to take his riding to the next level.. As I led him down one of the most technical high speed descents in the whole of East Dartmoor I planted my front wheel behind a sturdy rock and dived over my handlebars.. attempting to head down the rest of the trail in the style of superman using the hightened sense of awareness we had achieved to overcome gravity.. I can only imagine how confident he felt as he witnessed my graceful landing.. so I did it again on the next trail too, choosing some convenient bracken to land in..

He had a great day and learned his way around an area notoriously tricky to navigate.. and left me in the carpark enthusiastic about his return..

I share this tale with you in the hope that others will be inspired to try new teaching methods and enjoy the wonderful sense of satisfaction that guiding can bring..

Junkyard
    Free Member

*wants to go on trail day with YUNKI*

roddi18
    Free Member

Me too!

sharki
    Free Member

You funny fecker.

Not once did i experience these learnings from you despite rumours that you’d been practicing said wheezing/hacking/groaning techniques up from peck farm.

I feel like a piece of lifes necessary lessons is missing from my educational must haves.

mc
    Free Member

Sounds like an entertaining day out.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Lol – I might make use of point 1.. Zen Meditation.. but I think I’ll give point 2.. transcending earthly bonds.. a miss 😉

I’m doing another Dartmoor ride on this Sunday 10am @ the Warren House Inn car park we’re popping over to Bellever woods & back if your interested Yunki.

RealMan
    Free Member

+1 for yunkis guiding ability, had a great ride with him a while ago.

sambob
    Free Member

Same here. Could you be tempted to show me and my dad around some of Dartmoor next Monday in return for a cake?

trailmonkey

I planted my front wheel behind a sturdy rock and dived over my handlebars.. attempting to head down the rest of the trail in the style of superman

good work, where was it ? are you hurt or can i snigger at your misfortune*

*i think i’ll risk you being ok and snigger some anyway

yunki
    Free Member

Sharki – my teachings were far more subtle with you.. that’s why I let you ride so far ahead.. you may not have even noticed the slight improvements that I made..

CB – aah.. thanks but my weekends are profoundly chokka with work at the mo.. 🙁

RM – Thanks buddy..

Sambob – yeah Monday no problem.. will try and work out some details later on this evening..

TM – Halfway down the Nutcracker on a non-descript flat bit.. I even had to work really hard to find a rock to launch off..
    Not too badly hurt.. I think I may have disrupted the flow of my Gnar a bit but I can sort that when I re-align my chakras later.. sniggering definitely warranted.. 😳

trailmonkey

keep that chakra freaky 8)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhkEDWhrEU4&feature=related[/video]

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers. Email in profile.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That sounds beautiful…when did you have the tantric ****?

😉

Bucko

Thanks again for the guide Yunki

yunki
    Free Member

No worries Bucko.. good company.. you’re welcome any time..

TM..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVDvQGxDj0&feature=related[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘mtb guiding and it's rewards..’ is closed to new replies.