• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by csb.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MSR windshield?
  • surfer
    Free Member

Does anyone know the best place to buy a windshield for an MSR pocket rocket?

The backpackinglight website has a good one but out of stock!

Any other recomendations???

Many thanks

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Tin foil ?

surfer
    Free Member

But it needs to be stiffened and mouldable enough to withstand a breeze itself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gazc
    Free Member

beer can? pour the contents and enjoy making it 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

foil from flapjack tray.

added bonus is eating the flapjack

STATO
    Free Member

I bought a primus one for my pocket-rocket. Fits well and seems to do its job (tho never actually used it, just quick test). Fits in the Ti-pan too which is nice.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product419.asp?PageID=110

konahead

I use the Primus windshield mentioned above with an MSR Pocket Rocket – works fine

csb

Be careful using a windshield with a 'canister top' stove as the gas canister can heat up too much and explode. So I'm told.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you heard of this thing called google?

surfer
    Free Member

Have you heard of this thing called google

Suppose the clue was in RECOMMENDATIONS!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the instructions state that a windshield shouldn't be used, i guess this means a close fitting one for the reasons mentioned above. we use a bit of tin foil but you are right it does need to be held on place or wedged with something. i've considered using a couple of long tent pegs to stiffen it

csb

Can now report back from Picos trip where I used a piece of foil backed sleeping mat as windshield for a Pocket Rocket and canister. Bent it round, leaving gap for control know, used kebab skewers to fix it to the ground.

Don’t know if foil reflected any extra heat.

It didn’t explode.

Took up more room than the folded foil option but weighed next to nothing.

slugwash
    Free Member

Can now report back from Picos trip ….

Picos de Europa? Were you cycling? Got any photos? I love the Picos 🙂

(Stove anorak fact: last time I went there I took my mini-trangia and use a double folded wrap of tin-foil as a windshield)

Admiralable
    Free Member

Autoglass?

csb

Admirable, I have no idea where you’re coming from there.

Slugwash, yes, the Picos de Europa and yes, they’re fantastic. Me and the gf on a 2 week camping trip on rigid mtbs, 1.5 inch slicks and loaded panniers.

Those hills are big. Best bits were offroad from the Port de Pontetrave across to Fuente de, then next day rode down from the top of the Fuente de telepherique to Sotres which was challenging.

Joined a bunch of locals riding up the road from Cangas to the lakes, 1100m ascent in about 12km. Left the panniers off for that. Riding up the Desfilladeros des Beyos was pretty magical.

Wimped out wild camping due to bear attack (I thought I’d seen one through the mist) but the hostals were cheap and luxurious so great excuse to stay in a proper room.

And saw whales from the ferry on the way back.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sounds great, have you written the tour up or got a map of the route at all, we need to start planning next year’s trip and this looks like a nice area

csb

Loads of ace photos of tents pitched in amazing locations and us riding down really rocky tracks.

We took boat to Santander then camped or hotelled at Comillas-Llanes (actually a place called Poo, and it was shyte)-Cangas-Soto de Sajambre (best place we went, like a little Himalayan village with cows wandering around and woodsmoke)-Santa Marina de Valdeon-Fuente de-Sotres-Arenas-Comillas

The 1:80000 map is OK but misses out a few tracks. Main ones OK for pannier type offroad are on it though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MSR windshield?’ is closed to new replies.