Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • MRP Ramp Control Pike/Lyrik/Boxxer Upgrade
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Has anyone bought one of these? Saw it for the first time today on the singletrack email..
    Think I have two tokens in my 150mm pikes, never tried 3. But still use all the travel up easily.

STATO
    Free Member

Do you use up too much travel all the time, or is it just too quick to bottom out. The MRP is more about bottom out control, not mid travel control, so if the fork is blowing through travel all the time then maybe more tokens to add mid support (or an improved damper) would be better.

Im keen to try one for my boxxer, think it might work well in that application and would suit how I set-up/ride my DH bike. Need an air conversion first though.

mcnultycop

I think I’m holding off on buying a bike until I find one that comes with a fork that doesn’t need expensive aftermarket mods or faffing about with tokens to make it work.

honourablegeorge

Boxxer conversion to air is tricky if you’ve been running coil for a while, they say the coil will score the stanchions internally which makes life tricky for an air spring afterwards.

I emailed MRP to see if they had any plans for a version that had more than 3 tokens of asjustment, they never replied

STATO
    Free Member

Thanks, my boxxer is quite new and the springs ive been using still have the plastic covers with no marking. Will have a good strip down and check before I hit buy though.

I can understand why they only have the spring curve they do as the RAMP only really seems to kick hard in the last third of travel. Having equivalent of 4 or 5 tokens worth coming in just for big hits would probably feel pretty harsh. It would have been good if they designed it to take tokens in addition to the RAMP, might have made it useable for people running shorter travel.

honourablegeorge

Yeah – athough to be fair, 160mm 27.5 is probably where the volume is, as far as Pikes go

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Would this replace a CTD adjuster on a set of 34’s ?

mboy
    Free Member

Little real world update as been running one of these since they were first available…

Bit of background, had a Pike on a bike at the start of 2015, wasn’t all that impressed, sure it was stiff compared to 32mm stanchioned forks but felt it was lacking. Looked into getting it properly tuned for me, but timing meant my new bike arrived and (a nice perk of working in the bike trade) I got offered a killer deal on an MRP Stage for my new bike so how could I refuse…

Ran that bike with the MRP Stage fork for 10 months, and was really impressed with the fork. The tech geeks would argue the damper in the Stage is slightly more basic than the Charger in the damper, but crucially to me I could get the setup I wanted and the fork felt a lot better to me. I also found the Ramp Control a really useful feature.

Fast forward 10 months, new frame arrives, unfortunately MRP don’t offer a 160mm 29er Boost fork, so was forced to look elsewhere. Had heard much better things about the Lyrik than the Pike so decided to give RockShox another go. Rode it for a few months at 160 with 2 tokens in, found the setting was ok but I could bottom it out with my desired 30% sag so upped the pressure a little so I couldn’t bottom it out too easily, and dropped to around 25-26% sag and it felt a bit harsh. Tried a 3rd token and that didn’t really help.

So when the MRP Ramp Control cartridge was announced, I got a few on order ASAP. As soon as it arrived, fitted one to my Lyrik and not looked back. Back at 30% sag, the fork is super supple, but now I can tune in the bottom out resistance with the clicks on the Ramp control cart. Once you have worked out what it’s doing, and it’s not just the same as changing the number of tokens, it’s performance potential opens up. With 70psi in the fork and the ramp control wound right off, I can bottom the fork easily, 6 clicks on the ramp control and I can just bottom it out, 8 clicks on and I can’t get full travel and there’s 8 more clicks to go! Fully wound in I can’t get the last 10-15mm of travel, in fact I doubt I could even if I let the fork down to 50psi and ran 40-45% sag… Basically, I like it. It allows me to run the fork softer than I would otherwise have to to get enough bottom out resistance, but then rather than some of the crude anti bottom out methods of many forks of old, you’ve got a fully tunable bottom out resistance that you can set how you like. Also, it’s really useful say at places where you may ride a variety of trails with differing ground conditions. For instance, the last Mini Enduro at FoD, Stage 1 was mostly soft underfoot but had a few firmer parts, stage 2 was a well worn DH track and quite firm, stage 3 was fresh cut loam. For 1 & 2 I could run the Ramp Control fairly firm for increased bottom resistance, then for stage 3 where bottoming out wasn’t a concern but getting any kind of grip was, I could back it all the way off.

Sure, it’s not a cheap way of modifying an already expensive fork, and if you’re running 650b or a shorter travel 29er than me, then look at the MRP Stage fork instead as it’s an incredible fork with this feature built in already, but it is effective.

My next port of call is most likely to invest in the FAST 3 way damper kit for the fork, as I’m not overwhelmed with the Charger damper to be fair. I want to be able to add more compression damping to hold the fork up in its travel more, without it spiking, but any more than 2 clicks of compression damping (out of 20 odd) and I find the fork spikes too much. Was riding with Charlie from Welsh GE the other weekend, he’s been running a FAST cart in his Pike for months now and raves about it. Says it provides much more mid stroke support with no harsh spikes, and allows him to run less air pressure for an even more supple fork. All sounds good to me! Just dropped a load on a Fox X2 rear shock to replace the rather rudimentary Monarch RC3+ though for now, so the fork is going to have to wait til after Christmas for sure.

Would this replace a CTD adjuster on a set of 34’s ?

You’re confusing the purpose of this cartridge. It has nothing to do with the damper side, it replaces the top cap on the air spring side and allows you to tune the end stroke spring curve. The Damper is in the other leg and act independently.

It does look like this product won’t work for most 29er riders or shorter travel 27.5 riders. I like my forks fairly firm but fairly linear so get away with only 1 token at 160mm 27.5, 2 at 140mm 27.5, 3 at 130mm 27.5 – but that’s still 1 more than their default setup.

It’s made a significant difference in my 160mm 29er Lyrik, but I hear where you’re coming from. The more tokens you’d have to run in your fork normally (ie. cos it’s a longer fork and/or shorter travel version) the less appeal this cartridge has. And you’re right. If you need 5 or 6 tokens in the fork as you do say on a 120mm 29er Pike, this isn’t going to help a massive amount in reality. It’s definitely better suited to longer travel applications, though by all means don’t let me stop anyone from fitting it to a shorter travel fork to give it a try. You may find it is still a very useful feature possibly, I’ve only really ridden it on longer travel applications.

Having equivalent of 4 or 5 tokens worth coming in just for big hits would probably feel pretty harsh.

It probably would, but… You’d be setting your fork up with say 40% sag and the dial wound all the way in on the Ramp Control Cart to get that kind of effect. It would feel very pronounced, and not at all nice, but setup properly it’s a very useful tool. My recommendation is to set the fork up with 28-30% sag, then ride, then add clicks as required to aid bottom out resistance. It all gels together rather well then, and you don’t really notice it ramping up suddenly.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Mboy, thanks for the detailed post.
    I’m tempted to go for the fast upgrade after looking into it more after reading your post.
    The only thing that puts me off is that it’s not user serviceable form what I can gather… £225 though 😯

Scamper
    Free Member

Thought i’d add to this having installed the ramp control in my Yari 160. The issue I had was with 4 tokens at 70psi/30% sag they were plush off the top over fast small trail chatter but ramped up quite a bit so a little harsh . Two or three tokens didn’t make a huge difference. With 1 token at 85psi the mid to late stroke was softer but now the forks were fidgety off the top.

With the ramp control installed with only 4 clicks of ramp up, firstly more travel is used over the same trail centre loop than both token sets ups above, and the forks feel more plush and active. Obviously I can now lower the ramp up more to use even more travel on the fly or increase it when going off piste. The other main benefit is back at 70psi 30% sag they feel even more plush off the top and I can now start experimenting with the rebound and LSC after isolating them.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘MRP Ramp Control Pike/Lyrik/Boxxer Upgrade’ is closed to new replies.