Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • MRI scan?
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Got a back complaint that is going to need an MRI scan to investigate further, doc is booking this for me in the next week or two but I forgot to mention about the scaffolding holding my clavicle together.

Will this affect wether I dan get the MRI done or not?

maccruiskeen

you’d hope your doc would have already been aware of that – but its definitely worth mentioning – you’ll certainly get asked if you have any bionics when you arrive for the scan. No point being sent straight home again

bruneep

http://www.knowyourback.org/Pages/Treatments/AssessmentTools/MRI.aspx

Titanium implants are MRI compatible. People with nontitanium implants should inform the radiologist or technician prior to the procedure; however, most joint implants are firmly attached inside bone and will not pose a serious problem. People with internal metallic surgical staples from healed surgeries should also inform the radiologist or technician prior to the procedure.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/pages/who-can-use-it.aspx

Having something metallic in your body does not necessarily mean you cannot have an MRI scan, but it is important for medical staff carrying out the scan to be aware of it. This is so they can decide on a case by case basis if there are any risks, or if further measures need to be taken to ensure the scan is as safe as possible.

somafunk

If you have any metal implants or pins then an Mri cannot usually be done, inform your doc tomorrow.

chojin
    Free Member

A super electro magnet and adamantium style implants…

It’s not going to end well 😉

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Adam-ant-ium?

Do I need a white stripe across my boat-race??!

Will phone tomorrow but just wondered if there was any experience of similar on here…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’ve had two MRI scans since a motorbike accident in November. The first appointment I attended was too close to surgery on my wrist, which had been pinned and plated four weeks prior to the scan, so I had to go back two weeks later – apparently, the ‘safe’ limit is six to eight weeks. Other than this, no problems. Not sure where somafunk picked up that information, the staff who carried mine out weren’t particularly concerned. The scan itself is very noisy, and really claustrophobic. Luckily, they only usually take around 30 – 40 minutes. Good luck!

ourmaninthenorth

Deal with it when you’re there – they ask you and you tell them all you know. I have plates holding my eye socket together and get to spend 60 minutes at a time in the tube. No ill effects yet….

Drac

I’ve got metal work in my right hip, had 2 scans since having that done its never been an issue. Just tell them when you get there.

infidel
    Free Member

If your clavicle metalwork is over 6 weeks old then it’s fine.

I’m a consultant radiologist FWIW.

totalshell

strangely they wont let me have a go with thier mri toy.. is it the stainless steel ball in my heart or the metal pins holding my chest together.. should i just risk it and not mention them next time..

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, had an mri before so not an issue but not since scaffolding installed (3 years ago)

infidel
    Free Member

Heart!

allthepies
    Free Member

You are (will be) Brian the robot from confused.com and I claim my £5 scrap fee.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

😆 @ ATP!

sargey

I had one on my hip replacement just before Christmas with no problems, however as I had worked in industry all my life they did an eye xray to check if there was any swarf in there, bloody noisy in the tunnel!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

No problem here either have metal work in my hip. Again very noisy. Knee not so bad feet first done within 30 mins. C spine and shoulder 55 mins and head first. Absolutely hideous.

Also the hospital mri is better than one of those vans on a car park jobs. They are far too cosy.

Drac

I’ve always just gone to sleep in them. 😀

DrJ

I’ve always just gone to sleep in them.

Me too – I was only kept awake by the need to keep hold of the panic button.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Mrs BOAB is an MRI Radiographer and an expert in these things. She says your scaffolding will be titanium so not a problem but you’ll need to tell them anyway because a scan near that area will show a big ‘black hole’

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Spoke to them today, booked for tomorrow. Answer was “as long as it was longer than 6 weeks ago it’ll be fine”

So bring on the boom boom tunnel!!

And Ti?

Bonus!!

bruceonabike
    Free Member

And Ti?

Bonus!!

Just what I was thinking! 😆

Drac

Me too – I was only kept awake by the need to keep hold of the panic button.

Me by them asking “Are you Ok in there, you look nervous?”

“I’m fine I was a kip.”

Then left to it.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

done.

right on the edge of sleep when they said all done.

now to wait a week and a bit to see the quack again….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘MRI scan?’ is closed to new replies.