Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • mp3 question
  • earbyphil
    Free Member

I have been sent a music track as an .mp3. However, it would not play using the laptop running Windows Vista and Windows Media Player. A quick Google suggested that my version of WMP version 11.0.6002.18311 does not play .mp3’s BUT all my music is in .mp3 and they all play.
    I tried it on the old desktop PC running Windows Xp and Windows Media Player version 11.0.5721.5280 and guess what, it plays ok.
    So, I imported the new mp3 into Audacity and re-saved it as an mp3 and now both versions on WMP work.
    The question is why?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Origonal file was encoded as an MP3 using a different codec

earbyphil
    Free Member

Thanks soma_rich.
    Follow-up question if I may.
    Is it correct to say that the CODEC used to originally convert the music track into an mp3 and the CODEC used to de-code in WMP are not the same? If so, which one needs to be changed?

Cougar

Grab this and run it against the mp3, it’ll tell you what codec(s) it requires.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Is it correct to say that the CODEC used to originally convert the music track into an mp3 and the CODEC used to de-code in WMP are not the same? If so, which one needs to be changed?

Yes I imagine your version of WMP needs the CODEC that the MP3 was encoded in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘mp3 question’ is closed to new replies.