Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Moving to Manchester!
  • twohats
    Free Member

Right, I know this has been done a few times recently, but just about to be offered a job in Manchester and have no idea which are the best parts to live and where to avoid!
    The job is based near to Sportcity, what’s the area around there like?

plumber
    Free Member

commute in from Ramsbottom

Definately wouldnt want to live around sports city

nbt

+1 for not living near sportcity, but -1 for living in ramsbottom as the commute would be a swine.

The train runs to Belle vue and Ashburys near Sportcity, so consider somewhere on the train line – it’s the line that runs out to Glossop, or through Romiley/New Mills and on to sheffield.

twohats
    Free Member

That bad around there!
    Ramsbottom is a bit far out, something a bit closer would be ideal, what’s Ashton-under-lyne like!?

dazh

Opinion on Manchester seems to be divided. Those in the south like myself will say the south is great, those in the north will say the opposite. Everyone seems to hate the east, and the west is an industrial estate. If the local riding is an important factor, then for the south the local stuff is out to the south eaqst around Marple/Hyde/New Mills and the Dark Peak beyond that, to the north you have the Pennines around Ramsbottom, Bury, Bacup and Rochdale and beyond to Rivington/Todmorden/Hebden etc

If the weather is important, you’ll want the South. It’s definitely sunnier here 🙂

funkrodent

Steer well clear of the area around sportscity unless you a) like drugs, scrotes and fights or b) are totally, completely and utterly skint. If you want to live within the M60 (the outer ringroad) then South Manchester is the usual area of choice. Chorlton is the haunt of the young, trendy, media-ish types (think Islington or somesuch). Houses are around £250k for a 3 bed terrace. Whalley Range is a bit more edgy, lots of alternative types living there. Used to be the location of the rich merchants in the early 1900s (until they invented the tram) so big houses with leafy roads.
    Fallowfield is students. Avoid. Bits of Withington are really nice, but also infiltrated by students and nearby scrotes. West Didsbury has come on loads in recent years, lots of bars, pubs, restaurants. Vert trendy at the moment. East Didsbury is a bit more staid, still lots of good shops, bars, restaurants. House prices are the most expensive of the places I’ve mentioned. Outside the M60 Sale has some nice areas (Sale Moor NOT Northern Moor), Wythenshawe is to be avoided at all costs, Altrincham is nice but pricey and also quite a long way from Sportcity.

On that side of town if you want to commute you could look at Glossop, New Mills, Hayfield, Marple. All nice areas, most on the trainline, all near awesome biking in the Peaks. Alternatively Ramsbottom (North of Mcr up towards Rochdale) is nice but no trains (I think). Further out you’ve got Todmorden (home parish of the wonderful Singletrack) and Hebden Bridge. Both commutable by train in 45 mins or so and in the heart of more excellent mountainbiking.

Don’t know much about Ashton. The litle I know would suggest you’d want to keep going a bit further to Glossop or New Mills/Hayfield area..

Think that covers it. Good luck and if you get up here and want to do some biking in the vicinity, get in touch I’d be happy to ride with you 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with most parts of Manchester TBH, its all a bit grim. I’d definitely commute in. If it were me I’d be living on the border of the Peaks to the south and using train and then bike at the other end.

scaled
    Free Member

What you got against Northern Moor?

I moved from 400m further into Northern Moor and my car insurance went up £400, which is weird, cos people generally don’t shit on their own doorstep.

It’s not all that bad, really

BadlyWiredDog

What are you priorities? Do you want to live urban and bike commute? Live somewhere with great riding on the doorstep but a bit further out? Do you need to drive anywhere regularly? Everywhere’s got pros and cons depending on your priorities, just asking for ‘the best parts to live’ is a bit vague.

As far as Ashton goes, erm, not lovely would sum it up ime, but it’s not Bogota either.

twohats
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I’m going to be bike less to start with and also don’t want the time/cost of commuting by train, so don’t want to be living miles away from work.

binners

You sure as hell don’t want to be living anywhere near work. Droylsden earlier…..

The commute from Rammy isn’t bad at all. Just jump on the tram in Bury and you’re in town in 25 minutes. I wouldn’t even contemplate driving! And as has been well documented in previous threads on the subject, if you live in Marple, New Mills, Anywhere south, you’ll spend two thirds of your life in a traffic jam

dazh

Oh forgot, Sportcity is commutable by bike completely off-road using the fallowfield loop from Levenshulme, Fallowfield and Chorlton. I’m in Levenshulme and think it’s great. Not as posh or trendy as Chorlton or the Disbury’s but it’s on the up, has a great community and is much cheaper to buy/rent houses. It also has a train station direct to the city centre (about 7mins) and has the infamous 192 bus route which runs all night.

BadlyWiredDog

So, how are you planning to get to work?

twohats
    Free Member

Not a car owner so that’s not an issue. Riding on the doorstep isn’t necessary but would be nice. Bikes would be coming later once I get sorted out, then the bike commute starts, so reasonable bike able distance or the bus!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

didsbury is nice ,chorlton very bohemian + lots going on. ashton under lyne is basically a ghost town that can’t afford a ghost.places like rammy are ok but far out , though excellent for mountainbiking , dogging and other country pursuits

hp_source

Saddleworth & Mossley area’s are worth a look, riding is good, trains to Manchester. Mossley to Sportcity cycle commute would be approx 30mins I’d guess. With nice steady off road alternatives, for summer/homeward journey.

SaxonRider

I didn’t have a happy life up in Manchester, but considering I lived in Swinton, I always thought that Eccles and Worsley looked alright.

banks
    Free Member

Atm i’m commuting to sportcity, well 5 mins away. 11 mile ride in almost entirely off road or a 25/30 drive in from marple btw. Tried the train & tram but it took ages and full of **** & fat people.

mrchrispy

Eccles and Worsley are pretty much exactly the opposite side of town. commute would be a pain the arse.

cycle over to sportcity area from chorlton/Didsbury would be doable.

dc11
    Free Member

I’m in Heaton Moor… It’s on the Manchester/Stockport border, about a 20 minute commute from Sportcity and an all round nice area. IMO, of course.

binners

I used to live in Eccles when I was a student. If you decide to while away an afternoon in one of its fine drinking establishments, you will be approached by a procession of locals who will try to sell you pretty much anything known to man. probably including your own bike, at some point

plumber
    Free Member

marin maketh the man will be on later with some potentially interesting info for you

Plum

twohats
    Free Member

Cheers all, thats given me a good few areas to look at and a better picture of Manchester.
    This is a big move to me as it will be me relocating back to the uk, so want to end up in the right place first go!

Harry_the_Spider

It really depends in what you are looking for outside work. Student scene or suburbia?

Prestwich and Whitefield to the North are worth a look as they are within easy commute of Sports City either by bike or tram and don’t suffer from all of the errr… “issues” of East Manchester. Reasonable riding from the doorstep too and a vibrant Night Ride scene too 😉

scaled
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, I’ve just for a 3 bed house for £125k and they’re building a brand new tram stop about 300m from my front door.

Yeah, it’s Northern Moor but it’s not as bad as people seem to think it is. It’s not like round East manchester, we’ve not had any shootings for aaaages

twohats
    Free Member

Basic requirements are reasonably quiet area, low crime, not many scrotes eyeing up my bikes when I take them in and out of the house, decent pub or 2.
    I’ve lived in some real **** holes in the uk so It’d be good to land in a nice area!

Harry_the_Spider

I’d have a look at Prestwich then, but I am biased.

binners

You have to own a Volvo estate if you live in Prestwich though

twohats
    Free Member

You got a spare room Harry!

Harry_the_Spider

You have to own a Volvo estate if you live in Prestwich though

You are confusing Prestwich with Sedgley. Sedgley is important as it acts as a fire break between the Kingdoms of The North and the zombie filled wasteland of Broughton.

holster
    Free Member

I’d go for Old Trafford… loads of nice victorian terraces, its on the tramline and its only 5min drive/taxi ride from city centre for getting home after nights out. Its also within walking distance of the bars, shops and pubs in Chorlton, and the two v good bars on Upper Chorlton road.

Holster

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

or you could look at dento or hyde to the east, will be on tram lines and easy access for the peaks

binners

or you could look at denton or hyde to the east, will be on tram lines and easy access for the peaks to life in the 19th century

FTFY 😉

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

oh yeah ,glossop

choron
    Free Member

Denton and Hyde are both horrific, I would avoid east Manchester like the plague. Nicest places in that direction are Glossop and Hadfield, which are neither nice nor close…

binners

Glossop or Hadfield? Hmmmmmmm……

I’ve just landed a job darn’sarf so will be looking to rent out our house in Sale in the next couple of months, with a view to selling it in the middle of next year.

It’s a 2 bed semi-detached on a decent road that’s 10 mins walk to the metro link or 5 mins drive to the M60.

However, this being STW, the most important aspects of the house are:

1) Room for 3 bikes in the cupboard under the stairs, plus kit bags etc
    2) Shed in back garden for bike parts, frames and general gubbins (never had problems with she’d break-ins etc)
    3) Engineered oak flooring in the dining room that is easy to clean bike oil, brake fluid and fork oil etc
    4) Travel at a sensible time and you can be in Staveley in the lakes in an hour, same for Llandegla, and even less time to get to the Peaks.

Email in profile if its any good for you. I’d rather rent it out to a STW’er and not bother using agents if possible.

Edit – just read that you don’t drive, so ignore point 4, but you can easily get to Chorlton, Fallowfield etc then onto sportcity by bike.

hora
    Free Member

Northern Quarter is great

Prestwich

Stalybridge

Chorlton

I’d recommend these.

Marin’s house in Sale is nice/top bloke too. Sale’s a good area as well. Where are you moving to?

mrchrispy

God call on Heaton Moor, some not that shabby parts.

globalti
    Free Member

Have a look at anywhere north of Bury. Bury itself isn’t too bad, quite a prosperous town with good shops, good bike shops and heading north you’re into Rossendale and some of the best cycling in the land. Look at Summerseat and Ramsbottom, both nice places. If you’re driving, living in Rossendale puts you straight on the M66, which takes you north towards beautiful open countryside.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Manchester!’ is closed to new replies.