Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • mountain king tyres………………mm
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

I like 'em. I'm fairly fast and hit all types of terrain. Ton i think the rider has something to do with it.

robhughes
    Free Member

i think the way this thread is going
    it,s a case of suck em + see.
    saying that though i,ve still go mine on
    and have prebooked a place in a+e. 💡

jimw
    Free Member

I had a setof 2.4's on my '08 Orange 5. Didnt have much problem with grip but had multiple thorn punctures on the trails round where I live. I gave up on them after a month. Lent them to a mate who gave them back after 1 ride
    I pump my tyres to about 40psi and since I put Panaracers on had only a couple of punctures in a year

langy
    Free Member

reading this, it seems bigger riders, with lower presssures = no likey whilst ligther riders, with higher pressures = likey.

perhaps despite the apparent rules to do otherwise, higer pressures are [/u] needed to get the best from this particular tyre? 😯 😆

kevonakona
    Free Member

Langy, seems about right.

I run at about 40psi and while not light (11st10) i'm lighter than many.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Spot on langey. I like mine and have been running 2.4 MK Pros (with 40+ psi) for about 18 months. They're fast, offer reasonable grip in most conditions, fairly light and quite long lasting.
    I do understand certain riders not liking them as there is an element of them squirming and sliding in some conditions which can be unnerving. But if you're aware/used to it/anticipate it, its not a problem.
    I recently swapped out my MKs for a Kenda BG and Nev combo. After 1 week/4 rides I put the MKs back on. I just couldn't get on with them. I couldnt get the setup on the Kendas right and found that at high pressure I was being pinged about, at low pressure they were draggy. They were a lot heavier and if this makes sense seemed to offer too much grip.
    Anyway, I like mine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Reluctant to prolong such a pointless debate, but I'm average-to-light weight and run all my tyres at low pressure – including MKs – which I rate highly.

The main difference here is the compound. There's only a couple of people in the thread saying they have the decent compound and still don't like them.

They're probably just fussy.

😉

mAx_hEadSet

Not having had a set of the cheap ones I can't comment how right ton is but I have heard similar tales from riders with the ones that come standard on Oranges which are the cheap ones.

I have MK 2.4 with the black chilli riding north Wales which is mostly pishy peats and podzol soils interlaced with large amounts of sedimentary rocks , some slabby with sharp edges like slate and others round smoothed like limestone and more than a few tree roots thrown in for good measure. I have had no problems with grip or traction on the tyres. I have also invested in RQ's for a full sus bike but not tried them yet.

The only problem with large body conti's I have had is them rolling around on the road which gives the sensation of a flat tyre and can be off putting at speed however i dont buy mtb tyres to maximise road perfomance and might be fixed by fitting wider rims which i choose not to.

alpin
    Free Member

i've got a set that came free with a set of wheels. foldy bead but no fancy compounds (i think).

usually ride high roller/advantage and give my wheels some stick. the MK's are very light compared to any of my other tyres. the name worries me though. i can't think of any mountain i'd like to ride aggresively down using these tyres.

very washy-outy in corners. lock up easily on the front under braking. i think ideally they are the fireroad tyres and will live most of their life on the GF's bike.

re. the pumped up hard thing. they are german tyres and many germans here run their tyres at stone hard pressures because they think it's racey and everything is about the weight….

robinbetts
    Free Member

There is a lot of mixed opinions but there are many different versions… does anyone actually like the bog standard 2.2's? And conversely, does anyone dislike the supersonic/protection ones with black chili compound?

I've got the standard 2.2's that came with my bike and think they're rubbish so switched to maxxis, but did like the way they rolled and climbed, so have thought about (after people showing some love for them), getting some of the better ones.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Kenda's work best as low pressure as you can get away with. I'm 12st and I run mine 25 front, 28 rear. I'd run the front at 20 if I could be arsed with tubeless…

z1ppy

got some MK 2.2 UST cheap from my LBS (off an orange 5 I presume), had them as I fancied trying out my UST rims, not had a problem with them but then wouldn't rush to pay full price for them either.
    (larger lad running 35psi or lower, just to throw Langy's presumption out the window).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well i have the standard 2.4 versions on my bike.
    I took on board the recommendations to pump up the tyres hard and headed off to Lee Quarry.

I did two runs around the quarry.

1st run – hard tyres and fast suspension rebound. Impressions. not a great deal of grip, bounced around a lot and not inspiring of much confidence. Rolled quickly though.

2nd run – softer tyres, slower rebound.
    Impressions. – Far more grip, far more confidence going into the rocky/slabby stuff even in the wet. More grip in the mud although still slid a little in the very gloopy stuff. Rolled a tad slower and were noticably slower on the road ride home.

I weigh 9.5.stone for reference.

Conclusion – Despite others saying the tyres work best at high pressures i personally found them to be far better at lower pressures and with far more grip on the various surfaces to be found at Lee Quarry.

I wonder if the OP's physical size has a bearing on the performance as they worked fine for a little 'un like me?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Why didn't you try it with the same rebound? Seems like a pointless test to me. It could be that it felt better on the second run due to slower rebound.

You should work for MBR……

dreednya

I ran the folding 2.4 black chilli versions but run ghetto tubeless on my Heckler over here in Wales with no problems what so ever. Loads of grip and no rips in sidewalls even when run down as low as 20 psi. Not a light rider either, quite enjoy going off rock slabs into rock gardens at speed, destroyed a few rear rims and even cracked the downtube on my Heckler all the way round, but no issues with the MKs :o).

Oh I did have issues with them, but only when I ran them with tubes, always getting snakebites, which is why I ghetto'd them.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I have standard 2.4's and they're really slow rolling next to my maxxis setup, they somehow manage to feel like they'll tear chunks out of berms on a fast descent while they're like dancing on marbles on a climb. I pinched a couple of times running at my usual 30 psi, so I'm running them around 40… not a big fan to be honest.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘mountain king tyres………………mm’ is closed to new replies.