Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Motorhoming in Devon/Cornwall
  • Phototim
    Free Member

I’m renting a couple of motorhomes to drive down to Cornwall for 3 nights over the summer with a group of friends.

It’s obviously preferable to use campsites but if you wanted to just kip down for a night in a beach side car park, is it legal? The motorhomes I’m thinking of renting are not small or inconspicuous 😯

Thanks!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As far as I know it’s not illegal unless there are local bylaws which explicitly prohibit it…. problem is in most cases they do and most public car parks have signs up saying that overnight sleeping is prohibited.

There are options to get away with it in more remote areas (here on Dartmoor for example), but it sounds like the size of your vehicles may make those spots inaccessible!

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you’re parked up on a public road, you’re still technically in charge of the vehicle so drink driving rules apply!

For the sake of paying for three nights in a campsite, I’d be inclined not to bother trying to wild camp. Plenty of nice campsites down this way which are right on the beach…

spooky_b329

I’m never been to Cornwall (will be this year) but I don’t think you will find wild camping very easy, especially in popular spots. Even the surfers in their ‘stealth’ vans struggle to park up for an undisturbed night.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve done it a bit in the low season. Pretty sure it won’t be possible in summer. Might get away with a pub carpark if you spend the evening in the bar and ask nicely.

bangermoose
    Free Member

ive done what you are planning all over the UK, though my van is quite small, including cornwall. ive always found that as long as you think about where your planning to stay, eg out of the way,wont annoy any neighbours etc and are willing to drive around a bit looking for a good spot you will be fine. as places that look great on the OS map may have a height restriction on, or have big signs saying no overnight camping with fines etc..
    you may have to search for a while for a beach side spot especially in cornwall as its so popular, so campsites might be the best option there

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Motorhoming in Devon/Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.