• This topic has 56 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Motorcycles
  • epicyclo

Rusty Spanner – Member
    …Any finer sound than a Honda six-cyclinder racer, Laverda Montjuich, Goldie, Manx etc?

Velocette Venom with high compression and a GP carb running a reverse cone megaphone 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Never understood the 'loud pipes saves lifes' argument. Usually a patch on a HOG riders jacket

But posers would never e.g. wear a hi-viz jacket that would be 100 times more useful in saving lives…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have you ever had a pedestrian jump off the kerb in front of you when you were driving your quiet car? I have, despite mine being a loud clunky diesel.
    On a motorbike the loud pipes (not open race cans, mind) will make them look and watch out. Same as high revs with the clutch all the way in on a GP100 😀 Sometimes they jump back onto the kerb before they land in front of you, mid-air you could say.
    And no, revving the guts out of the engine in residential areas on purpose is daft. Not to say I've never done it during my 100cc 2-stroke days.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Have you ever had a pedestrian jump off the kerb in front of you when you were driving your quiet car? I have, despite mine being a loud clunky diesel.
    On a motorbike the loud pipes (not open race cans, mind) will make them look and watch out

why can't you just have the same control on your bike as you do in your car then?

Marge
    Free Member

I commute round the ring of a European capital city every day & the traffic is immense.

In that instance a noisier than standard exhaust helps improves safety quite a lot when filtering through the traffic.
    I guess filtering between queuing cars is also considered undesirable by many so maybe a poor reason.

As it happens I have a CE marked Akrapovic on my bike with the original catalyst in place too so it's not me making the noise but there are enough bikes with noisy pipes for me to follow through the gaps.

Has anyone else noticed the trend for noisy truck exhausts by the way?
    Those things cause some amazing vibrations when you pass them…

Northwind

konabunny – Member

"But posers would never e.g. wear a hi-viz jacket that would be 100 times more useful in saving lives…"

We have a winner. Black leathers, black helmet, black visor and "Loud pipes save lives, cagers never see me".

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Funny enough, a study found hi-vis not to be that worthwhile on a bike. Apparently wearing all one colour makes you more visible in that you become a recognisable person shape or something.

Loud pipes – nope, don't agree. I have watched bikes coming up in the rear view mirror and only get hit by the sound once they are level/infront of me. You hear it as a ped, but in the car no – they are too well insulated against noise these days perhaps. That may not stop me putting something slightly fruitier on the new Tiger (just arrived this morning) but that will be mostly for aesthetic reasons… and the fact that the stock can weighs a ton, is perched up high and apparently you get a smoother throttle response from the after market numbers. But we shall see. And it probably won't happen in the near future!

Blacklug
    Free Member

Motorcycles or (real) bikes as we call them are the finished article.

Start off on a mtb – progress to a road bike – then (real) bike

Then before you know it you have 160+mph of potential between your legs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

"Loud pipes save lives" is a piece of pish made up to justify the loud exhausts. Its purely a fashion thing in most coses – although on my BMW it was needed with e new chip to get over that all important 100bhp. Made it sound like a farting whale tho

Harleys are the worst for it. Weekend warrier wannabes – usually accountants called Brian.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

TJ – Damn and blast your goggly eyes sir! I demand an apology!

failedengineer

My Sprint 1050 sound fab with the standard pipe – must be borderline for the noise regs. It burbles and pops on the overrun too, lovely. All Triumph 3 cylinder motors sound fab, though. I had a Speed Triple with a Triumph race can on which was perfectly acceptable at low revs, but when you gave it the beans – wow. Lovely howl from the airbox, too (missing on the Sprint unfortunately)I'd like a Two Brothers carbon can for it – single outlet (not the 3 as standard, saves about 7kg of very high up weight.

Blacklug
    Free Member

Harleys are the worst for it. Weekend warrier wannabes – usually accountants called Brian.

This is so true 😆

Met a group of them a few weeks back. They all reffered to their bikes as hogs 🙄
    And some even had the goatie beard thing going on … but what they all had in common was they only did dry miles on them though 😆

tracknicko
    Free Member

sat behind a few lads in mx pens where the noise and actual force of their exhaust makes your chest hurt.
    it also makes it damn hard to work out if your bike is still ticking over!

what were we talking about, i feel like im on a tangeant…

toys19
    Free Member

The fastest most nutter rider I ever new, was mr pegs down everywhere, wheelies, jumps flat out crazy merchant, had normal indicators, a legal normal sized numberplate, no anodised nuts or bolts and an incredibly quiet exhaust. He's dead now.

martinxyz
    Free Member

lol.chavs in novas always crops up. some novas might look slow but ive seen one blow away an elise amongst other cars on the 1/4 mile. dont judge a book by its cover.

when i leave the house on the bike i dont go over 2k with the revs so nobody moans..

..and stick to 2k for the rest of the ride :O)

Geronimo
    Free Member

martinxyz

when i leave the house on the bike i dont go over 2k with the revs so nobody moans..

..and stick to 2k for the rest of the ride :O)

Aren't you riding this though?:

juan
    Free Member

2500 rpms is just fine that's were angela rides the best 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycles’ is closed to new replies.