Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Moto GP. Better than F1?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Is Moto GP better than F1?

With bike races you see more overtaking, more spills – it's way more entertaining.

The race is more down to rider skill than having a rich and powerful race team behind you. The podium lineup is not such a foregone conclusion.

Moto GP bikes aren't so varied with new fangled technology like FI is.

In my view, it's more like what motor racing should be about – rider skill!

I was looking forward to this year's F1 after the previous season, but it's been a bit of a let down.

Northwind

Yup, it's miles better. BSB better still IMO. And all of them less good than road racing. But, the technology and hardware does still make a big difference, when was the last time you saw a Suzuki or Kawasaki on top of the podium?

alwyn
    Free Member

Yes miles better. Better races, better riders, better crashes.

Superbikes also good, for viewing quality 125s are where it's at.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I watch F1 every time waiting for it to get good again and it never does.

I also watch moto gp most of the time and every race is always better than F1

Skyliner
    Free Member

Two wheels and an engine make the best 'sport' in the world to watch and to participate. F1 is just 'business'.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

However this season and this race in particular have not been great. Electronics rule too much now. A couple of years ago the racing was great.

Pigface
    Free Member

No brainer MotoGP package wins hands down. 125 250 and MotoGP all beat F1

nickc

The race is more down to rider skill than having a rich and powerful race team behind you.

Nope, as in every motorsport it's the best rider and the best machine in combination that makes the podium, always has been, always will be.

Sometimes MotoGP races are just as dull as paint drying, and sometimes F1 races are very exciting, depends on the course, the rules, luck, all sorts of things.

nickname
    Free Member

I prefer F1 – it's all a matter of opinion.

Spongebob
    Free Member

F1 had become far too commercial IMHO.

GeForceJunky

Moto GP all the way. The 125s are always great to watch, I just hope the Moto 2 is as good next year.

falkirk-mark

Watching paint dry is more exiting than F1 IMO

iDave
    Free Member

I prefer F1 – it's all a matter of opinion.

I actually struggle to comprehend that opinion. I try but the thinking behind it eludes me.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

You bet!

F1 is fixed. Might as well watch WWF.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, as in every motorsport it's the best rider and the best machine in combination that makes the podium, always has been, always will be

I agree, 99% machine, 1% driver in formula one!

Moto GP is far far better, much less of a procession, more a race!

racefaceec90

am not a fan of f1 since the days of senna v's mansell.i am way more interested in moto gp than f1.the moto gp guys are not human (crash at 100mph+ then try to get back on the bike!!!)

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

F1 is boring. Moto GP is exciting. Motre action, more chance of overtaking, more chance of something happening, rather than a procession that relies on something unexpected happening. How those guys ride a bike at 200 mph is astonishing. And the lap record for the IOM TT is over 130 mph. Those guys are seriously mad! Even Rossi said so.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

for me… i don't watch motogp, or at least actively seek out to watch it.
    I do for F1. again it is all subjective.

If we're talking about F1 at Valencia, verses bikes at Laguna Seaca.. then Bikes win hands down…but F1 at the historic tracks – Spa, Silverstone.
    The problem has been for years Bernie, Mosley and Tilke designed circuits.

That said – i love club racing, which is why you'll find me on a weekend in my orange suit waving flags at Oulton Park or Anglesey. I'm a 4 wheel man, the only time i've marshaled bikes was the Plum Pudding meeting.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Any bike racing for me. F1 somehow manages to make going extremely fast,boring.As for all the cheating and rule changing…

69er
    Free Member

They're totally different. And I love watching them both.

My preference is F1.

Reluctant
    Free Member

The question just doesn't need asking! F1 is dull dull dull and has been for a long time. All the hype at the begining of this season had me wondering, and i watched the opening race of the season – within 7 minutes, i was reading the paper. Bike racing has me glued to the screen, you can't afford to miss a second. Bike racers let you see all the style and technique – with a car racer all you see is the top of a helmet. If F1 can ditch fuel stops and tyre stops, maybe the "action" will have to take place on track, not the pits, till then , it's a dead loss.
    There's some real quality bike racers out there, in many classes, but of course Rossi's top of the heap and has been for over ten years – the world's greatest practicing sportsman in any sport.

the-muffin-man

Moto GP is like basketball to me – everything that goes on before the last corner is pointless, as it so easy to overtake its nothing special. So what if there has been loads of lead changes in a race – does nowt for me.

…I'm not a bike man though so my bias is definitely towards 4 wheels!

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm strange in that I get more excited by F1 but actually prefer watching MotoGP. There's more action and the crashes are usually better in MotoGP but I also think the shorter length of races is a plus, maybe I'm getting old but I generally fall asleep after a few laps of F1 (apart from Monaco). 25 laps is good 55 is too long.
    Also over-taking is NOT 'so easy' in MotoGP, it takes a lot of balls and bike control (and trust in the other guy).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Personally I prefer F1, but apparently I am wrong if I am to believe what is said above.

I am sorry, I will try to fix my broken sense of opinion.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

"the crashes are usually better in MotoGP"

thats the difference for me. I dont watch motorsport for the crashes. crashes mean expense for the driver/rider/team and possibly injuries.

I watch racing for the on track battles. the Aero is a problem for F1 at the mo – because they just cant get close enough in the twisties. were as the GP2 cars rely more on ground effects than F1 (it being banned in F1)

Oh and refulling is banned next year, tho tyre stops arent. TBH – i wouldnt want the farce of Indy 2005 to be repeated (the year they banned tyre changes)

uplink
    Free Member

……..better crashes.

Are you sure?

scotabroad

Bike racing as a whole has always been better to watch, even more so if you are a motorcyclist. Plus what always gets me is the race finish, the single seater guys unless they are on the top of the podium generally have a face on. At the end of bike racig a lot of the guys are congratulating each other, popping wheelies, doing burnouts for the crowd, they just seem to enjoy the racing a whole lot more and get a real buzz out of competing. In contrast a lot of the car racers seem like spoilt kids.

colin@rush
    Free Member

You got to take your hat off to all thr drivers / riders in both F1 and MotoGP, i do find F1 a bit boring its more strategic than exciting, and as proved this year with button, the car is far more an influence than the driver, where as i think Motogp is far more rider than machine, sure it helps when you have rossi on the yamaha which i think is now the better bike but it wasn't when he joined yamaha and he was still winning.
    Casey stoner is a good example to, the only guy that can make that ducati competetive again proving its more rider than machine…

For me Motogp is the best most exciting motorsport and the level the guys are riding at is staggering, i think it also makes a difference for MotoGp that you have a character like rossi in it, the guy is a genius and things like the donkey on his helmet for this weekend show humour and an ability to take the pi$$ out of himself, and add another element to an already awesome race series…

charliemort

F1 dull. Moto GP brill. World Championship Moto-cross – absolutely fuggin' incredible – try watching it live………..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as someone up there pointed out, motoGP may have more overtaking, but untill the last lap its fairly pointless, the bikes can slipstreem easily and there's plenty of room to overtake, its like a group sprint in one of the tour's, whoever's in second 100m from the line will proabbly win (massive generalisation i know)!

The lower (less aero) divisions of 4-wheeled motorsport is where its at. Especialy classic car races, although that moight just be my bias in thinking the lotus 11 was the best looking car ever made?

badnewz
    Free Member

Moto GP is in a different league as a viewing experience. F1 is dull (combined with sunday lunch, the perfect opportunity for an afternoon nap), and takes itself way too seriously. Moto GP has personality, bigger sense of fun, more overtaking, and the BBC commentary is funny and informative.

one_bad_mofo

and there's plenty of room to overtake

Hmm, you obviously didn't see the MotoGP race in Leguna Seca last year. Rossie took Stoner on the inside by running over the curb and hitting hte dirt! He kept the bike upright and left Stoner behind. Unbelievable pass.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Weird how an almost word perfect copy of this thread pops up nearly every month and even weirder is how its always "Moto GP is better because…" rather than the other way around.

Are Moto GP fans so insecure about the 'sport' they choose to follow that they have to have an outpouring once a month.

Maybe we can call it the biker monthly.

"Careful, its that time of the month."

🙄

uplink
    Free Member

Much more overtaking in MotoGP these days?
    I'm not so sure this lap chart from yesterdays race doesn't show a lot going on
    I thought yesterdays race was boring & much preferred the WSBK races – as I do most weekends

clunker

Moto GP anyday not watched a full f1 race since Senna died.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Are Moto GP fans so insecure about the 'sport' they choose to follow that they have to have an outpouring once a month.

😆

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

my bias in thinking the lotus 11 was the best looking car ever made?

Lotus 11…. 18…25…49…78…Elan…Elite…
    soo many lovely cars from Lotus

aracer
    Free Member

Weird how an almost word perfect copy of this thread pops up nearly every month and even weirder is how its always "Moto GP is better because…" rather than the other way around.

Well you start a "F1 is better than Moto GP because" thread, and see how many reasons you can come up with.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At the end of the day, one is no better than the other. It is 100% a matter of opinion.

Some people like watching golf or dressage or synchronised swimming or Coronation Street or X Factor. Any of them are no more right or wrong than preferring Moto GP or F1.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

aracer – Why would I want to start a thread praising one subject purely as a vehicle to criticise another? Sounds like a pretty pathetic thing to do really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Moto GP. Better than F1?’ is closed to new replies.