Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Most annoying house move loss?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Finally, after 3 weeks, decided to erect yon gogglebox.

TV? Check
    TV tabletop stand? Check
    5 x screws to affix stand to TV? Er, I think I put them in the toolbox. Or maybe taped to the stand. No? Er..maybe in another box…there were a few rushed packs at the end…all labeled, I think…

Cock. No worries, shouldn’t cost much:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-258060801-Screw-M5X16-Warranty/dp/B001DEESMI

A snip under £600! At least we only need five, and there is free delivery, and a 6 month warranty…

MoreCashThanDash

The entire deposit – 3 years of scrimping and overtime – that I lost selling my first place in 1996.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Brake caliper mounting bolts had the same thread as my TV when I DIY wall mounted mine using a wooden baton (french cleat). If you’ve got some spares give it a whirl. I think I have loads if you need some.

Found a box recently labelled ‘3rd bedroom’. Only been in 12 years…

binners

When I graduated, and moved out of student squalour, I left a whole rucksack full of t-shirts accumulated over 2 years woking behind the bar at the Hacienda. An array of designs, some never been worn, from some serious designers, all emblazoned with FAC51 STAFF. I dread to think what they’d all be worth now. But its the sentimental value and happy memeories. I also left all the massive posters I’d collected too from all the classic Hacienda nights like ….

crofts2007
    Free Member

Wife and two children.
    Double garage.
    The joys of divorce. 🙂

MrOvershoot

£20,000 loss on my first house thanks to Fred West
    and that was just on the original purchase price, never mind the time & money we had spent doing the place up.

Still I’m happy where I live now so that’s all that matters

MrOvershoot

Harry_the_Spider

The bolts that held my son’s cotbed together. Helpfully unpacked by my Aunty Jean on moving day.

Turned up about a week later in a box of dishwasher tablets.

jimmy

Photos. All my best photos I had on my wall through Uni and beyond. *whooompf* gone.

Stoner
    Free Member

My shooting medals including an England gold medal national comp and another for the Inter-services long range competition in 1994. As well as several years worth of Queen’s Prize and other competition bars from Bisley. My dad had made a wall mounted case to put them in, and I never got round to hanging them on the wall of my flat so they sat in the boiler cupboard and were forgotten about.

Stoner
    Free Member

And I miss the wet room I built in the old house.

DrP

I’ve lost my 2 million scoville chilli extract bottle/dropper.
    I loved a few drops on my eggs in the morning.

I only had about 10 drops from it as we moved soon after the Chilli festival….
    It’s going to be a loooong year ’till that comes round again 🙁

DrP

Edukator
    Free Member

A box of documents including a pile of pay slips. The company went bankrupt years ago so I have no way of proving I paid pension contributions in a foreign country. Getting that period recognised by the powers that be is going to be complicated.

konabunny
    Free Member

How did Fred West cost you money?

Cowman

One foot out of the 4 needed for a roof rack!

Rich_s

Opened a tuna packing plant next door?

sobriety
    Free Member

Built him a patio?

willard

A good pair of jeans and my No.1 Dress hat. Spent ages looking for everything that I knew was in that box, only to find the box and the items in the garage; the last one in a huge pile left over from our move.

The reason? The previous people to use the boxes had labelled the box “Garage”, so when we used the box and labelled it “Spare room” the movers read the wrong one and stashed it outside.

Stevet1
    Free Member

And I miss the wet room I built in the old house.

I errm wait what? what is that toilet doing in your shower?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I don’t know yet – everything is still in boxes…

but my new garage arrives tomorrow! so currently I’m like a dog with two whatsits..

nickc

I errm wait what? what is that toilet doing in your shower?

that’s nothing, it was in the basement, apparently you couldn’t be heard from the street….

crankboy
    Free Member

I lost a John Smiths bottle opener that I got from my dad it must have dated to the 50s and come strapped to the beer bottle free it was a small ergonomic thing of beauty and a memory of him. I would quite happily have lost many more valuable things if I could have kept that.

crankboy
    Free Member

ha isn’t google fab I am off on ebay thanks for the thread made my day

Torminalis
    Free Member

About 20Mbps. 🙁

Kryton57

I lost the instructions & nuts & bolts to my daughters cot bed, which I discovered a few months after we moved. I swear I put it inside her toy chest for safe keeping.

Its being held together with some DIY replacements, and a few weeks ago she fell out of bed with a thump – from downstairs I genuinely thought the whole lot had collapsed.

Soon approaches the time where I’ll need to sell it in, in several pieces which can’t could possibly be joined together…

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

A brand-new Paella dish, lost for a whole year post move, and finally found in the loft last week.

Its not summer anymore, but I am having a giant Paella dammit.

senorj

When we sold our flat ,I had to leave a really ace workbench and chest that I’d inherited from the previous Irish builder owners. The transfers were late in the afternoon,it was pissing down ,and the new owners were parked round the corner, wanting in. In a fit of pique I let them keep them.buggery.
    And I forgot the ironing board,a fact which I am constantly reminded of.

mintimperial

About two grand over the last two weeks, because our solicitors didn’t ask the right questions, didn’t tell us they hadn’t asked the right questions, and allowed us to exchange on the sale of our old house before letting us know we couldn’t complete on the purchase of the new one. A fortnight camping with family, costs for storage, doubled removals, etc. **** lawyers.

Got the keys today though, finally. Hooray!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Binners – am gutted just reading it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A photo album.

One. Photo. Album.

The truth is, I loaned my ex wife the album & she ‘lost’ it when she moved.
    Had a fantastic photo of me riding up a waterfall in a motorcycle trial in it.
    & she says, ‘I don’t remember you lending me that’

Grrr……

jools182
    Free Member

I lost all kinds of things that were annoying

One of the four rubber feet from the leg of the ironing board so now it wobbles

One of four little plastic end stops from my bed frame so that squeaks every time you think about moving

The blade part from my hand blender so that is now useless

The charger for my expensive bike light

There are others too

I’ve no idea where any of these things got to or why they were separated from the rest of the stuff

Frustrating

Legoman
    Free Member

We were packing up to move, walked into the kitchen to find a wallet on the work top. It was the wallet I’d lost 18 months earlier, complete with cash, bank cards (now cancelled), driving licence (now replaced) etc.

The most infuriating thing is my wife picked it up somewhere assuming it was my current wallet & just put it in the kitchen, but she can’t remember where she found it. WHERE THE HELL HAD IT BEEN FOR 18 MONTHS??? IN A 2 BEDROOM HOUSE. WHICH I’D TURNED UPSIDE DOWN. SEARCHING FOR IT!!

MrOvershoot

In answer to how Fred West cost me money.
    I bought No 6 Cromwell Street in 1988, Fred lived at No 25.

The ensuing shit storm that followed his & Roses arrest in 1994 wiped a fair chunk off the value of all house’s in the street. In a way I was lucky as relocation with work had the added benefit of them buying the house off me & a loan to cover the shortfall.
    They sold the property a year later for another £20,000 loss!

nach
    Free Member

OP: Bet they’re a standard thread. A thread gauge will be a few quid, then once you know the thread pitch and size, some decent steel machine screws will only be a few quid more.

A box of difficult to replace sewing machine spares that belonged to my aunt. Took about £100 and a year of looking to replace them. Live in landlord at the time: “No, I didn’t touch them”. He was busy storing stuff in the loft at the time, I looked up there several times but couldn’t find them.

Landlord three years later: “Were you looking for some sewing machine bits once? I just found these in a box of my stuff in the loft”. After I’d turned the air blue, he said “I don’t see how this is my fault”.

DrJ
    keefmac

my oakley frogskins 2 sunglasses. rootbeer frames with gold lenses, still look for a pair like them on ebay every now and again but no joy yet 😐

Northwind

Photos, too. Left them on the wall, they were so much part of the view we must have walked past them a thousand times while packing and moving and just didn’t notice. New people threw them out, fair enough. Not happy.

tang
    Free Member

My Dad gave me two original posters from a Pink floyd & Hendrix gigs in London from late 60s. One was signed by the experience. I had them in a tube ready to frame.

nach
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member
    About 20Mbps. 🙁

Off, that’s a tough one isn’t it? I’ll see your 20 and raise it another 77.5 or so 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Most annoying house move loss?’ is closed to new replies.