Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Morzine – XC Help?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’m heading out to Morzine in July with my brother. We planned on riding the usual DH stuff most days however is there much trail riding in the area to warrant taking our XC bikes? It only needs to fill around 3 days but be suitable for fuel ex’s / stumpy’s so no huge gaps and drops. Links to Headcams and routes would be much appriciated. Thanks!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Speak to the guys at the Torrico bike shop, they know of a few routes and are helpful chaps.

Swalsey
    Free Member

We spent a day out on XC stuff, couldn’t say where exactly but I was riding a 120mm Stumpy for everything, including the DH stuff such as Pleny. If you have more modern stumpy’s and fuels with more travel I’m sure you’ll be fine!

alexxx
    Free Member

you could do the passports route – or just kaine it around the blues – you’ll stumble on lots… question is if your into downhilling why not make best use of the lifts whilst here?

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s plenty. There’s a couple of good waymarked trails that go round the back of the hills either side of Les Gets. The Passportes route is great for an epic ride but it is better if you tweak it a bit as they skip some of the nice downs. There’s GPX files out there.

As above the downhill runs can easily be done on an XC bike. Pretty much everything is rollable with the exception of some of the jumps, which have chicken runs.

legend
    Free Member

There’s a couple of good waymarked trails that go round the back of the hills either side of Les Gets

sadly I found them incredibly dull 🙁 better riding in the 7 Stanes. Hoping this thread points me towards something better for this summer or I’ll probably leave the XC bike at home

alexxx
    Free Member

something better? go on an adventure simples! or hire a guide!

mboy
    Free Member

There’s as much, if not more to be done out there on XC bikes than on DH bikes. Definitely take them, if you get a good guide, you’ll spend much more time on decent XC trails than you will on the DH runs cos you’ll be enjoying yourself that much away from all the stormtroopers! 😉

hels
    Free Member

I spent 3 months out there a few years ago with XC bike. I just bought a map and read a few French VTT sites.

The XC stuff was much better then, and anything more than 200 metres from a chair lift is lovely and free of massive ruts and braking bumps… You do really have to like climbing though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The majority of the black runs don’t have huge drops or gap jumps either and those that do generally have a route around them.

My suggestion is to pick a route to include lunch at Mont Caly above Les Gets, small village with stunning views and one good simple restaurant (photo taken from table). You can ride the straightforward Black Dans Le Gaz or red/blue routes down if you wish.

Mont Caly

legend
    Free Member

go on an adventure simples! or hire a guide!

actually, it’s simpler than that. I’ve got a mate that’s a permanent resident so I’ll just drag him out.

The annoying thing is that I know all the unmarked DH trails like the back of my hand, and there’s always some new ones to play on. Make’s it difficult to put down the big bike (storm troopers are generally avoided anyway ;))

jambalaya
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

tomstickland
    Free Member

Loads of xc friendly stuff. Several tour routes that traverse round mountains, loads of narrow tracks and paths etc. There’s very little climbing if you plan it correctly, so you can take an all mountain bike with big fat tyres and it’ll do everything.

alexxx
    Free Member

whos your mate legend?

emmodd
    Free Member

Can anyone post any gpx links or suggest some routes? Going out in June and planning to use my legs to gain some altitude.

Ambrose

I have a load of GPX I’m happy to share. Email in profile.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Morzine – XC Help?’ is closed to new replies.