Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Morzine for real beginner
  • allthegear
    Free Member

If you do the Deval Karts, keep your armour on – I’m glad I did when I flipped mine!! oops

Rachel

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you do the Deval Karts, keep your armour on – I’m glad I did when I flipped mine!! oops

If you do Bob Luge you’ll want your helmet and armour on to make sure you’re aerodynamic, and you’ll look like a pro. After my second run I doubt it would have helped very much in the event of a crash though…

allthegear
    Free Member

So, what with the bob and the deval karts, plus the smelly pony trekking, the paragliding and the self-conscious englishmen in budgie-smugglers at the pool, getting out on the mountain bike really is the safest thing you can do in Morzine!

Rachel

auricgoldfinger

Don’t just expect to get sunburnt and ride dusty trails. Prepare yourself for the possibility of absolutely sh*t weather and super slippy trail conditions. Consider bringing some decent mud tyres (wetscreams working well at the moment for me). It has been absolutely p!ssing down all week here and most of the bike park and DH trails I’ve been riding this week are very muddy. I would say these kind of conditions will make even some of the Chatel blues runs fairly tricky for a novice to DH. Also, take your time on the first runs-they aren’t generally like similarly graded runs in the UK and you will find some pretty large jumps and gaps in amongst some of the lower graded trails (although they are pretty well marked as you come up to them with little flags). Good fun though if you like mud!

Mr5O
    Free Member

Can someone forward me the xc stuff that Ambrose had. I am going from 6th to the 13th and would be more interested warming up on the xc stuff first and I know the ms would as well.

Thanks in advance

Email is Paul dot tiffin at sky dot com

allthegear
    Free Member

Paul – YGM

Rachel

colinmac
    Free Member

Can someone forward me Ambrose’s info too ? Colinmac at gmail dot com. Thanks peeps!

RideAbility
    Free Member

Just in case, there are a few competent MTB “school” in Morzine, who can bring your girlfriend to the best suited trails and give her tips to be sure she gets a fun and safe experience… I can’t recommend mine enough!! http://www.ride-ability.com 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Neither can I – rode with Ride Ability with the FlowMTB girls week last year and learned loads. Thankyou very much!!

Rachel (back on the 13th Aug – be sure to drop in and say Hi!!)

flyingmonkeycorps

I also stayed at PRG a couple of weeks ago (in bloody gorgeous weather mostly too!) and it was absolutely brilliant, the team there are spot on and will be able to give you some advice on trails too.

Say hello to Chief from me!

RideAbility
    Free Member

@Rachel, will do! Are you back in chalet Snion?

allthegear
    Free Member

Hi Jo (?) – no, we’re in the other one this time, Chalet La Musardiere I think.

Rachel

SammyC
    Free Member

I can recommend Jo @ RideAbility too, top chap! (Sam on Gold/Brown Patriot) 🙂

A good warm up run is the green from the top of the Pleney, it is not all fireroad but is very badly signposted. Thanks to Jo I found it and my better half really enjoyed it. The trick it to go straight on over the small metal bridge at the end of the first fireroad switchback, it leads you into the the trees and some nice mellow (extremely quiet) turns and eventually out on to another fireroad. Take a left and follow it back to Pleney lift.

Bridge is at this point:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=morzine&hl=en&ll=46.166039,6.695883&spn=0.001566,0.003484&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=21.981746,57.084961&t=h&z=19

Jo may correct me on this though as its been a while…..

emilebennett
    Free Member

@Jo / RideAbility – can you give me a shout on throwthings at emilebennett.com so we can get chatting about hooking up with you when we arrive in Morzine? Cheers, Emile

flyingmonkeycorps

Is that not a blue? The blue from the top of the Pleney is pretty good, the green I don’t like goes the other way, past the main DH run.

SammyC
    Free Member

It might be a blue but I’d class it as a green if you compare it to runs like the main Pleney DH run.

It terms of comparing to the UK I’d say its easier than the mellow bits of Bringewood.

Once you’ve done that a few times then think about heading over to Les Gets. The main blue run in LG I don’t think is all that nice as although its mellower than the reds it always seems to be wet and slippy whereas the reds are dry but a little steeper.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m just trying to place the run… It’s the one that cuts back under the lift then has some switchbacks through the trees down to a road, right? It suffers very badly in the rain if it’s the on I’m thinking of…

Definitely agree with you on the reds / blues in the Les Gets jump / bike park, though the very end of the red has some tricky roots that you can avoid going down the blue fork.

SammyC
    Free Member

That’s the one. being in the trees means it takes longer to dry out but its the only real beginner run I can think of that is quiet and can be taken at whatever speed suits you.

flyingmonkeycorps

Definitely the best one in Morzine, the green that goes the other way is rubbish (though has some ok bits) and the one you mention is always really quiet.

colinmac
    Free Member

reposted ‘cos I posted at stupid o’clock before :

Can someone forward me Ambrose’s info too ? Colinmac at gmail dot com. Thanks peeps! 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Sent to Mr 5 0 and colinmac 🙂

rockhopper70

To the op….just as an indicator of the level of riding you might fancy, if you search rockhopper70 on YouTube then my vids of regular trails are on. You might even spot Jo from rideability on them as I have used his company for two years running now. No big drops, road gaps or wall rides I’m afraid but great trails all the same.

Ambrose

Tee-hee. Just back from Morzine with some more .gpx files. Not all of the are beginner friendly though. Anybody heading out there- take all your mud tyres. The green off of the Pleney is wholly unmanageable in the wet at the moment. Likewise the blue down from Avoriaz to Linderets. Mud-tastic. It is good to see that the Run from Col de Joux Plan to Brocheaux has had the trail pixies hard at work too.

Due to the weather we rode as far from the centres as possible. RESULT 🙂

Buzz21
    Free Member

Ambrose Could i have the files. Cheers

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Morzine for real beginner’ is closed to new replies.