• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by cp.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • More 9-10 speed mixing bodgery
  • cp

So, trying to use some 10 speed double chainrings (28-40) with an otherwise 9 speed set up (it was a triple up front).

I have:-

9 speed SLX shifters
    9 speed Xt cassette
    9 speed xt shadow rear mech

I want to run 40-28 double on the front (the rings fit to my xt 9spd triple crankset just fine). My old triple mech fouls the rings and gives other issues, so i installed a double front mech.

I have a 9speed KMC chain which is now catching on the 40t outer ring pick up pins in the top three sprockets.

A chimano HGX 10speed chain is narrower and I assume doesn’t catch on these pins…

So, the question after that pre-amble is….

Can I run a 10speed HGX chain through a 9 speed mech and cassette??!

Has anyone tried this? Will another 10speed chain (i.e. KMC work? actually I could try that tonight with one off the road bike)

scaredypants

I’ve run kmc 10sp chains on 9sp gear before, no probs

clubber
    Free Member

Yes it’s fine.

FOG

Sorry to hijack but I am doing something v. similar. What do you do about the front gear shifter, which I presume is a triple SLX? Do you just have a redundant position and stop chain jumping off using the limit screws? Or is there someway of altering internals on a left shifter? I did delve into one when it broke but couldn’t do any thing with it.

cp

I just use the limit screw – so I effectively only use the lowest two positions of the shifter. You physically can’t move the shifter into the 3rd position.

Works great. I do it on the road bike too – triple sti with a double front mech and chainset – it’s actually how one of the bikes came set up from new.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘More 9-10 speed mixing bodgery’ is closed to new replies.