Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • montane extreme smock
  • Ringo
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Are they worth the money I was looking at the howies barrier but this looks much cheaper

carlphillips
    Free Member

i’ve had 2, (still got one) much better fitting and quality than buffalo jackets, but very very warm, (way too warm for riding in IME) last an age, i only have a new one now because my last dog shredded the thing..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve got one … really can’t fault it.

I’m an instructor / guide so it gets plenty of use. It’s not ‘waterproof’ as such but no matter how hard it rains you don’t get wet. It’s pretty warm but the venting system works very well when it gets too hot. Front pocket is big enough for a map, etc.

I’d happily buy another one when this one wears out … think it’ll be quite a while though as it’s very well made.

Hope that helps.

couby
    Free Member

nice jacket, excellent design, I had one but found it too warm- would never cycle in it unless in minus temps. Brilliant for winter climbing/walking. I’m pretty sure montane do a thinner model of it or maybe thats Buffalo that do that??

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

They are warm but I’ll happily ride in mine, certainly not found it too warm through the last couple of winters … saying that it only gets worn over a base layer.

Ringo
    Free Member

I don’t want it for riding its more for cold nights camping walking bivvying what have you

Marko

I have one – and the Buffalo one. Both very good, but I prefer the Buffalo because of the large map pocket. Also the Buffalo is made in Sheffield and not China.

Rab Vapour rise is another alternative.

Hth
    Mark

Burls72
    Free Member

I have one and really like it. As above warm, good fit, good ventilation and i’d buy another one when this one wears out.

tazzymtb

ace for bivying or as a belay jacket. I had a montane to replace a 14year old buffalo. It was but nice the buffalo still seems to the default jacket/under layer for multiple day bivvy trips.

infidel
    Free Member

I love mine and personally perfer it to a buffalo.

Ringo
    Free Member

Ok cheers

Ringo
    Free Member

Hey Taz will be riding Wednesday if you fancy it have misplaced ya email though so send me a message

jamesb
    Free Member

Excellent smock but very warm indeed, I only wear mine if below 0C and down to -10c; bit bulky to carry about too, you might be better off with RAB Belay Jkt for campsite . sitting about in as packs very small

tazzymtb

hi ringo, working day/night/day shift in a dangerous “hmmm I going to die” kinda place this week. Will be up for it next week if you’re about matey. I’ll drop you a line

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Absolutly top well errm top – only downside is it is rarly cold enough for me to wear mine – I seem to be quite well insulated – mate in the Wasdale Mountain Rescue swears by his (an attractive bright – can be spotted by hellicoptors – orange)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘montane extreme smock’ is closed to new replies.