Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • MONDRAKER…ANYONE?
  • lewymtb
    Free Member

Read some mixed reviews. Looking at getting one over a Giant trance X. Should i?. All yes and no reasons welcome!

Thanks!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Yes because you’ll help pay my wages.

Well, you did say ALL reasons were welcomed!

On a more serious note, they’re ace. The whole line up is pretty special but the Factor, Foxy and Dunes are something else.
    They’re real mountain bikers mountain bikes, the harder you ride them the better they feel.

All Mondys come with a lifetime warranty too so they really stand behind their design work.

Plus you’ll be riding something that’s a little different to 99% of the other riders out there.

If you have any specific questions you could always direct them to your local dealer but failing that just drop me a mail richie@silverfish-uk.com

Cheers

Wally

On the other side of the fence – giant have hardly changed their design in 7 years………says something to me.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Love the look of the foxy – pricey bikes though.

kaesae
    Free Member

Giant don’t really need to change their design, it is very effective, that said they did upgrade it in 2008 and that was only 3 years ago.

Losing some weight and moving the main frame lower linkage pivot to bring it in line with the shock mounting pivot.

That said the Mondraker frames are very well thought out and silly light, the design has several characteristics that will give superb handling and stability.

If I had a choice of any frame I wanted at the moment, the Mondraker and Trek line up, would be where I would invest my money.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Love the Foxy’s and owuld kill for a Foxy RR but my image of Silverfish has been a bit tarnished when I noticed someone asked them about kneepads on their fb page. I recommended Kyle Straits rather than one of their products and it just happened to dissappear. 🙄

Blower
    Free Member

yep foxy for me

RustyMac

Really like the look of the mondraker bikes, would have the foxy in the green of the RR in a heart beat. If my iron horse MkIII ever dies it will be a tough decision between a foxy and sticking with the dw link design on a five spot.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I looked at the factor RR but went for the Trance x instead. I love my Trance I only rode it today for the first time and by jingo it pushes you!!!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Are you serious getonyourbike? Surely you can’t be?
    I can’t believe that anyone would be surprised by that reaction.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been tempted by the write ups in Dirt. Waiting for my LBS to sort me out a ride on a foxy. If it’s good then I’lll be very tempted. I’d be going frame only and think the price of the foxy RR is very reasonable compared to the competition. Hmm if only it had iscg tabs and a maxel.

Do have a reservation about buying Spanish. Hopefully the quality is ok. Are mondraker doing ok? Are they likely to be around for long enough for the warranty to be worth it? Also there seems to be very little technical info on the web site. Got the geo on there bu can’t even seem to find out the size of the head tube, seat tube, max recommended fork length, doe it have cable guides for dropper posts, etc.

Richie can you help with these?

Edit: also be interested to hear what folks think of the zero suspension system? How does it compare to things like VPP or dw-link?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Mrblobby

I can help a bit.
    Don’t have any reservations about buying Spainish, next year will be Mondrakers 11th year in businessvand they have gone from strength to strength through each of those years.
    In Spain, France and Portugal they’re the fourth biggest bike brand (based on numbers sold) so they’re not going anywhere.

Regarding all the technical bits and pieces – I thought we had this info on our website but give me a day or two to check it all out and come back to. Please do feel free to mail me if you have spefics.

Regarding a demo, where are you? I’m attending a demo day in Cardiff tomorrow, come alongband take a ride if you’re nearby.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Richie. Must admit I’ve just checked the site and managed to find head tube and seat tube specs, can’t have looked hard enough first time around.

I’m in Newbury and was arranging a demo with Mark at banjo cycles. Was due for one last Tuesday but had to re-schedule. Just waiting to hear back. Can’t do Cardiff but I really do want a go on one of these, and being able to get it via my LBS would be great.

tony24
    Free Member

any frame only weights?

the factor rr frame weight and foxy rr frame weight. cannot find anything anywhere.

RagTi
    Free Member

Saw a Foxy RR at Merlin last year, absolutely stunning…..even in dog shit brown!, reasonably priced as well.

Another huge positive is that they are quite rare out on the trails as well

Would I ?….I would!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

From Experience of the Summon (DH frame)

Pay no attention to claimed bike / frame weights. From the experience of the DH frames (summons) of which three friends are now owners the claimed full build weights of 34 odd pounds are fictional – with full xtr / XO, carbon and ti bolts and tubeless they are min 37lbs.

Im guessing they’ve had to increase the wall thickness on the tubes ( and hence the weight has gone up )

Otherwise lovely looking bikes that corner well but esp. the DH becoming more common.

lewymtb
    Free Member

Wow… so the response seems to be tipping in favour of the Mondrakers. Richie, i live in Dublin and there are no retailers over here. I tested out a Trance X last weekend in my local shop and it does feel nice i have to say. And reading all the reviews from both sides of the Atlantic, the Trance seems to be an incredibly versatile bike. Climbs superbly, and can soak up anything thrown at it by descents.

The Factor doesn’t get great reviews. The general feeling is that it’s a pointless bike and pretty much falls in between two stools. One being all mountain and the other being XC race.

The Foxy on the other hand, although very few, 1 in fact, gets a good review. With the 140mm of travel does it climb well?

lewymtb
    Free Member

Richie, sent you a mail.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

rickiethesilverfish- If you’re so confident about your products then there’d be no need to delete it and he probably would have just ignored what I said as meaningless jibberish anyway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There’s a foxy RR review in the latest Dirt. They seem to love the frame but as usual they didn’t much care for the light trail style build. Even more tempted by one of the frames now. Test ride lined up for Thursday hopefully 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

Rode a Summum last year in Morzine. Light, responsive….lovely. And after a summer getting trashed it was still in remarkably good nick.

traildog
    Free Member

getonabike – do you seriously think removing your post was out of order? I’d have done the same if it was my business and you’d posted on my facebook page.

Anyway, to the original question. I wouldn’t buy any bike without a test ride. Bikes that are once between two different schools often end up being classics and ahead of their time. What matters is if it suits your style of riding.

flyingmonkeycorps

You may not see many Mondrakers over here, but there seem to be tons around Morzine and Les Gets – including most of the hire bikes, which I reckon must say something.

As for Silverfish, I’m hoping for positive customer service and getting my brakes back before I go on holiday… But if not, I’ll survive.

oscarlee
    Free Member

just have to say a few thing one buy a mondraker 2 there fast 3 stable, 4 well designed, 5 they make you a better rider ,get good reveiws , then i rode a blood by orange wow the orange blood was aon the same leval as the prayer if you want fun buy a prayer or blood any thing else is boring ,

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I finally have a demo foxy for a few days 🙂

Picked up a mates recent mbr to find a foxy review. A very mixed review there that has put me off slightly and I haven’t even ridden it yet. Then read the review in Dirt and they seem to really like it. Very mixed reviews!

Nothing for it but to take it for a spin tonight and make my own mind up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘MONDRAKER…ANYONE?’ is closed to new replies.