Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Monday Morning Debrief 42 – In praise of Autumn
  • Dave
    Free Member

Autumn’s good hey?

Monday Morning Debrief 42

Share your weekend rides here…..

Drac

Couldn’t venture more than 100yds from a toilet due to the norovirus.

ahsat

A very slidy ride round Thrunton! The last natural riding we did was the very dry trails of Spain – the wet loamy slimy tricky tree roots was a shock! After a bit of accepting that our tyres weren’t awful and our mate getting the feel of riding his Surly fat bike on technical stuff, we really enjoyed it 😀 Wet, windy, wild, wonderful autumn riding…

wonderchump
    Free Member

Pennine Way from Buckstones to Littleborough and back – Wet, windy and cold – Fun times though. Great to come home to a hot bowl of soup and a fire too – simple pleasures.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Dawn ride through the local woods on saturday morning before a wedding in the afternoon. Worked up an appetite for the rather splendid food 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last minute sub for the missus who was ill for this http://www.freycinetchallenge.com.au/
    did the 2 mtb legs which doubled the milage I have got in for the last 3 weeks due to the crap late winter/early spring weather over here.

birky
    Free Member

Dunkeld on saturday and the Sidlaws yesterday morning 😀

crispo
    Free Member

Just a few hours ride up Longridge fell yesterday evening. Was great, not too wet and muddy yet and it all looked very much like autumn was on its way. Stopped in for a cheeky pint of Landlord at the pub on the way home too, lovely jubbly!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Saturday came and went without a turn of the peddles (glasses buying, took most of the day) then went for late supper… Spent loads of money too… 😉
    Sunday went for a 10k trail run around and down the towpath on the South Thames trail, TBH most of it was paved but covered in a mix of sand and mud and uneven paving slabs so at least I got some wibble wobble out of it. Then found a superb French restaurant in Long Acre (that I shall go to again) and ate a late Lunch, bought some more clothes and stuff then watched the “radz/gnarrr/Yo!” dudes in the RedBull Rampage.. which I enjoyed.
    All in all it was a very quiet weekend in the Bouy houshold.

bullroar
    Free Member

Saturday out the tent and on the bikes before 9. Pleasant pedal up Langstrath Valley in glorious weather with the whole valley to ourselves. Pushed up to the top of Stake Pass then round to Angle Tarn with no one in sight and the ground surprisingly dry. At the Tarn we got tangled up with about 400 fell runners who kept us company on the push up to Esk Hause.

Lunch and fine views at the shelter and the fun began. Long rocky descent to Sty Head (rode most of it bar the odd step). Push through the boulder field after the tarn and then the long, rocky and now steep descent down to Stockley Bridge. Right good value. Up the road to Seatoller and onto the “Bash” bridleway for more rocky goodness down to Grange. Back to tent at Rosthwaite on the road with an excursion to the Bowderstone. Packed up the tent and drove home for 10 pm. Excellent day out.

robarnold
    Free Member

Manx MTB club winter xc series round 1 in Archallagan plantation. Bone dry and dusty, 6 laps of techy singletrack and heart rate on the red line. Think we’ve been spoilt, don’t imagine the remainder of series’s I’ll be quite so blissful 😀

jeffl

Riding oktoberfest in Bristol on Saturday and then fitting a victorian cast iron fireplace on Sunday afternoon. Oh and a couple of beers as well.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

#birky

Now that’s a good pic, looks stunning, makes me really want to get out and ride miles!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

quick blast on Sunday round local loop during brief weather window we had here in the south east,VERY damp with some monster puddles,glad of long hot shower and multiple coffees when i got home 🙂

sherb
    Free Member

Saturday was a group ride around nidderdale-reservoirs and having organised a month in advance we couldnt move it in favour of better weather. Having agreed a 09:30 start from Wath (nr Pateley Bridge), one of the cars en-route seemed to have arrived at Wath (nr Ripon) instead, so we did what any caring mtb’er would do and set off without them. On the road just before middlesmoor a mechanical claimed one of our group and he opted to trundle back on the road. The walled track after middlesmoor was a joyous climb in cloud and rain to a summit that most of us had begun to think did not exist. The descent however made it all worthwhile!! After quick food stop on the reservoir wall it was back up the other side and an extended traverse back towards the final fantastic Ramsgill descent, Kudos to Steve Cockerham who holds the KOM on strava for that piece, I expect to improve my time there next trip but seriously question I can get anywhere near his time on that piece. Overall, wet windy cloudy foggy cold muddy slippy 21 miles of brilliant riding

timb0
    Free Member

FoD was wet. Fun though.

neepshed
    Free Member

Saturday was a quick blast around Kirkhill on the outskirts of Aberdeen. Sunday was a couple of hours around Bennachie with a mate. Marchburn trail had plenty of slippy tree roots which caused me a couple of spills. But still great to be alive! 😀 Oh yeah…I love my YETI!

Sanny
    Free Member

Loch Bhac circuit from Pitlochry yesterday on the Fat Bike. Blue skies and sunshine. To take full advantage of the weather,we then headed up Carn a Chlamain in Glen Tilt (in a fierce headwind) for the really rather good Stalkers Path Descent. The best part of 50 miles and over 5 thousand feet of climbing. Definitely less autumnal than we were expecting – more ride of the fallen leaf than falling leaves. Very much enjoying the lateness of autumn this year.

Sanny
    Free Member

Birky

What Dunkeld route did you ride?

Cheers

Sanny

PS Nice pic!

peakrill
    Free Member

Never mind Autumn, Winter is upon us – first Dark and Wet White of the Winter Series yesterday around Hayfield. A great day – not the highestest of scores but I am not known as Captain Slow for nothing. A constant rain on Saturday ensured that conditions were “perfect” 🙂

BenjiM

I did my first Dark and White yesterday and quite enjoyed it having not ridden in the Peak before. Think I might need to stock up on drivetrain spares and brake pads if I’m going to do the entire series! I was surprised we didnt’t get rained on seeing how much it was threatening!

fathomer

A very damp Cannock for me on Saturday, followed by sausage sandwiches at my mates house whos just moved next door to the chase!

Pz_Steve

A corneal ulcer and the eye hospital telling me “no contact lenses for 8 weeks” had me looking 👿 in more than one way. Not sure how mountain-biking in glasses is going to go, but I guess I’m going to find out. Think I might get some science-teacher safety glasses to keep the worst of the grit off my specs.

Otherwise, looking forward to autumn colours and the start of night riding..

birky
    Free Member

@Sanny

Nothing remotely rad or gnarr … Cally carpark to Loch Ordie, Loch Oisinneach Mor, Tulliemet, Ballinluig (cafe 😉 ), Dowally, Raor Lodge, Cally carpark.

scud
    Free Member

35 mile 6 hour muddy slog club ride with the guys from BOB MTB club, first real wet and muddy ride of the autumn, great fun and took a while to get the old eye when it came to muddy turns, traction and wet roots. Had a big smile on my face for most of the ride despite ripping gore-tex jacket and my BB making some strange sounds after it’s umpteenth puddle.

miketually
    Free Member

My wife and kids were away for the weekend, so I headed out in the grey mizzly drizzle on my cross bike. Rode up to Hamsterley and down a few of the ‘new’ red singletrack, then rode home again.

Great fun, despite the gloom. It was actually quite nice down in Hamsterley’s little valley, so the fogginess must have been a Teesdale thing.

In the spring, I really need to try to remember than I can get up there, do a ride and then be back home in about 4 hours.

singletrackmind

61 miles around the lanes of south hampshire on saturday. Left the house at 11am and out onto drying roads. Everywhere pretty quiet and very few riders out.- Havant , Stoughton, East Marden, South Harting , Buriton , East and West Meon , Corhampton , Droxfrod , Hambledon Purbrook and home . No rain and sunshine mostly . Was positively warm by 3pm when I arrived home. Sub 4hrs so happy enough

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mills Hills CX for me, bloody hard work but good fun.

Went OTB and snapped a shifter though 😥

maxtorque

A terrific local ride, where traction and conditions were perfect! And i managed to “gap/bunnyhop” a bit of the trail i’ve always chickened out on before (approx 3foot across square edged “ditch”) Was so surprised to have cleared it, i then carried too much speed into the next corner and took a little lay down…….. 😉

Euro
    Free Member

First solo ride at a trail centre (Davagh)for me and it was kinda weird. Car to skills loop to pump track to red run to skills loop to pumptrack to car. No stops or anything! I did have a yarn with a couple of boys at the bottom of the rock feature, but other than that, it was all business. Saw a field full of bright orange sheep and a beautiful big eagley type bird feasting on a rabbit on the way home. Very 8)

OCB
    Free Member

As she’s rediscovered cycling again this year (in her mid-70’s) … I took my mum out exploring around Brixham on her bike this weekend. Great light out over the water as the evening fell, tho’ when it fell, it did so all too quickly 😯 .

(That’s my bike, not hers 😉 ).

paul4stones

Was supposed to be doing the Tour de France (Yorkshire stages) but we called it off because of the weather. Instead I pottered about, exploring locally on Saturday then went up Merrick near Kirroughtree on Sunday.

Duggan

A quick blat round Macclesfield Forest on Saturday morning with a mate. Wasn’t very long but really good fun, definitely keen on going back

mcnultycop

30 odd km on the HT on the PBW and the Rochdale Canal home. Grim weather, but glad I forced myself to get out.

kimbers

f— autumn ive got a new bike and its pissing down, its too lovely to get muddy

oxym0r0n

Bit of a bumper last week for me…

Wednesday night Quantock ride:

Untitled by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Friday Haldon blue with my girls:

Saturday on the Mendips:

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Monday Morning Debrief 42 – In praise of Autumn’ is closed to new replies.