Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Modern classics
  • andywhit
    Free Member

Inbred fro’ sure.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange Five for sure then – slowly evolved since 2000 and stick kicking arse left right and centre – an inconvenient truth to advocates of modern suss bikes.

It’s the Porsche 911 of mountain bikes for sure! Supposedly fundamentally flawed but still one of the best!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Oh and the P7 – possibly the longest running model name in the biz?

(Although I accept this probably falls into the already a classic in it’s own right)

coogan
    Free Member

It just a bunch of oldish bikes as far as I’m concerned.

djglover
    Free Member

Inbred is like saying the Austin Maxi is a classic.

GaryLake
    Free Member

It just a bunch of oldish bikes as far as I’m concerned.

What are you actually referring to?

chakaping
    Free Member

I take this thread title to mean bikes made in the last few years. We all know what the classics are already.

So I’d like to nominate…

The Giant Anthem
    Possibly the most thrilling bike I’ve ever ridden. Ridiculously fast, yet still surprisingly stable and confident handling.

Not sure how old the Orange 5 is, maybe too old, but its continuing popularity automatically makes it a modern classic to me.

coogan
    Free Member

All these bikes being ‘classics’. They are just oldish bikes that were good. I’ve had a few mentioned, but I just can’t look at bikes this deeply personally. Its just a bike.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Not sure how old the Orange 5 is, maybe too old, but its continuing popularity automatically makes it a modern classic to me.

Well someone set the date at 2000 and the first sub-5 was 2000 I believe…

devs
    Free Member

Nomad. Ok so I’ve got one but there’s a reason I bought it!
    Cotic Soul 2nded
    Turner 5 spot.
    You can claim back the gift aid on this donation.

MrAgreeable

Inbred, definitely. When they came out it seemed like all of a sudden people were putting together their own builds, when before they would have bought a complete bike (possibly a nicer one for less money, but anyway 😉 ) And it was a singlespeed that you didn’t have to bodge. And it was an XC frame that you could fit 2.5″ tyres into. And it was also available in Ti…

MrAgreeable

ade ward – Member
    whyte preston

Posted 3 hours ago

Didn’t you design that though? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Well someone set the date at 2000 and the first sub-5 was 2000 I believe…

Oops, I missed that you’d already said the Five. It does probably have the best claim to being a modern classic though, I reckon.

Personally I’d say we should be discussing post-2005 bikes though.

MrAgreeable

Gary, the new P7 bears very little resemblance to the P7 of old. I remember there being howls of protest from certain people about them being made all “hardcore”.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Gary, the new P7 bears very little resemblance to the P7 of old. I remember there being howls of protest from certain people about them being made all “hardcore”.

Myself included actually 🙂 I had one of the last not-hardcore ones before it got half inched in 2007.

I think the current P7 is a modern classic, great bike but they put the wrong name on the top tube!

adeward
    Free Member

ade ward – Member
    whyte preston

Posted 3 hours ago

Didn’t you design that though?

ok i admit it

MrAgreeable

Brave man for ‘fessing up! 😉

BoardinBob

Oh and the P7 – possibly the longest running model name in the biz?

Surely it’s the Stumpjumper?

takisawa2

takisawa – why do you have the shock on that way round?

Its because the brain is connected to the other end.

RealMan
    Free Member

Another vote for inbred here.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Surely it’s the Stumpjumper?

Yup fair enough!

Toombsy
    Free Member

orange clockwork – cause it was about in the 90’s then stopped production then limited edition released few years back and they looked ace

zaskar
    Free Member

Whats my name? 😈

Kramer
    Free Member

GT carbon Zaskar.
    Rockhopper disc.
    Scott Ransom.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Stiffee
    Chameleon
    Spesh Enduro 03/04 – 05/06
    Turner 5 (HL)
    Nomad

noteeth
    Free Member

Bontrager Race! And the influence of Keith!

landcruiser
    Free Member

pogo stick, space hopper, chopper, true classics !

hicksville
    Free Member

Litespeed Kitsuma…parent of lots of longtravel hardtails
    Turner XCE….then 5 Spot HL

brakes
    Free Member

classic

2005 – best looking

2006 SX Trail

igm

When I bought my P7 in about 1995, it was sold as hardcore (though I think hammerheads was the term they used to describe hardcore types then). It still is.

The geometry changed to match the new view of what hardcore is – ie XC racing ain’t hardcore anymore (or is it, I can’t keep up)

vinnyeh

'03 Enduro SX. Ride bore no resemblance to any of the other enduros. fun fun. Shouldn't have worked as a trailbike but did. Ancestor to the blur 4x/blood school of thoght.

oldgit
    Free Member

Surely a modern classic is something you are going to hanker over in years to come. And history shows that it's never sussers. It'll be the likes of P7's Zaskars Explosifs Chameleons etc.
    The Inbred is a classic in the way the standard old mini is, people are really only interested in the Cooper, so perhaps to could add the Tinbred.

Maybe biased because I've had an '06 and now ride an '08, but the Enduro seems to be the one bike that has just kept on being a classic from it's inception through to now.

People will say the '03/04 was the best (I haven't ridden one, so wouldn't know) and others will say the '05/06 is the best (it was an awesome bike). The naysayers will argue that the '07/08/09 version has lost some of the qualities of the old Enduro, but swing a leg over one and wow – it's amazing. Just read the Specialized forum on MTBR for some views.

The 2010 version is a bit of an ugly beast imo, but I'm sure it will ride amazingly well. Has any other bike been so consistently good for so long?

ton

bontrager privateer………….. 8)

coopersport1
    Free Member

IMHO I think calling any Specialized a modern classic is wrong! Except maybe the Stumpy HT. Otherwise it's like saying a Ford Mondeo is a Modern classic.

However my two steeds should fit the bill of a modern classic.!

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Modern classics’ is closed to new replies.