Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Mod my house, pimp my pad…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Kingswinford

practice the accent 🙂

good luck anyway.

iDave
    Free Member

dutch tub would be the only type of hut tub type thing I'd have

Stoner
    Free Member

had a dip in one of those in sweden.
    I have honsetly been designing one in my head for the garden 😉

Do they usually come pre-loaded like that? 😉

iDave
    Free Member

yes, just add water

heresjonny
    Free Member

Internal vacum cleaner just plug into the wall and go, I would'n tbe without mine.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Ooooo – I really like those roof windows (makes note for imminent loft conversion.

If you have access to the fire wood (you obviously do) how about a wood fired hot tub for the court yard. Something like this http://www.forestflame.co.uk/wood-fired-hot-tubs.php, but I have seen all-in-one clay ones which look very nice (until you see the price!)

EDIT: iDave gets there first…

ourmaninthenorth

practice the accent

Please don't say that. I grew up near Banbury, with its collision of the West Mids and the Cotswolds.

good luck anyway.

Cheers. Current job going better today – making me wonder why I'm contemplating another job.

The fickle nature of working for other people.

tinsy
    Free Member

Your own wind generator thing, not sure why every other new house doesnt have one built on the roof, sell the excess energy back to the grid.

Stoner
    Free Member

top stuff Bristol!

Thats the kind of thing I had a dip in in sweden.

£3695 plus delivery.

I think Ive found where the contingency can be blown if I get to the end of the job without being violated by EON*

* http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-from-eon-in-new-electricty-connections-highway-robbery

simon_g

Heated bathroom mirror is a relatively inexpesive, subtle thing that is brilliant to use.

I agree on the cabling – run cat5e/cat6, a couple of points to each room, and you can run anything you like over it later with the appropriate baluns – TV/FM aerial signal, AV, telephone extensions, etc – or just use them to connect things to the network.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can run anything you like over it later with the appropriate baluns – TV/FM aerial signal, AV, telephone extensions,

really? I never new that.

how easy would it be to use it to, say, provide low current power, or speaker signal or as you say TV coax?

crikey
    Free Member

Sharks in a canal with a bridge. At least try that?

Stoner
    Free Member

tinsy – they're still very expensive in terms of capital cost, but with the new feed in tariff, might just start making economic sense soon…

Stoner
    Free Member

Sharks in a canal with a bridge

cant risk the mosquitos.

tinsy
    Free Member

Stoner have you looked at Teak baths? Expensive but your new place would/may suit one nicely, they make a lovely round one, and its vastly expensive… 🙂

Helio

Pigface
    Free Member

Sauna sauna sauna sauna sauna with a plunge pool outside.

crikey
    Free Member

I know! Two way full length mirror in the bathroom, and hidden cameras in the guest room?
    …and one of those goldfinger type tables that sink into the floor with a scalextric track on?
    You only live once, so crack on!

simon_g

how easy would it be to use it to, say, provide low current power, or speaker signal or as you say TV coax?

You can supply up to 15W via power over ethernet (PoE), which uses 4 of the 8 wires for power, very commonly used for IP phones, CCTV cameras, wireless access points and the like. There's a new standard ratified to deliver 25W.

TV – something like this: http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/438 – although with a blank canvas it's much easier to get a proper aerial set up with regular coax going to each room.

Speaker signal – well it's copper wires so should work but would need to look at what the cable can handle. Have seen people comparing cat5 against audiophile stuff but they usually use 4-6 cables together, per channel. Things like the squeezebox devices are another approach to distributing audio around the house, and just work over regular cat5.

GrahamS

Agree with the Cat6 cabling and network points next to plugs where you are likely to put a telly, hi-fi, pc etc

Home Automation:
    http://www.ukrocketman.com/homeauto/index.shtml

More pimp: I'd fit Star Trek style "fsshhhhtiku" doors throughout.

More practical: staircase drawers.

More green: sun tunnels throughout for daytime lighting

pjt201
    Free Member

i was gonna say spiral cellar. I think they are pretty cool. I saw those dormer/velux windows at grand designs live a few years ago. very impressive.

ourmaninthenorth

tinsy – they're still very expensive in terms of capital cost, but with the new feed in tariff, might just start making economic sense soon…

The small cheap ones are sh*te, and you won't make you money back, FIT or otherwise.

You need to be spending around £30k on a decent sized one, which ought to provide a complete return over a few years.

Solar (esp. solar heating) is better on a small scale. As is small scale biomass.

takisawa2

Tank (approx 4800litre) is above the kitchen

Somehow, I don't like the sound of that…5 tons of water sitting above the kitchen.

If it were me I'd be absolutely going to town on the insulation, never mind teak baths & swedish hot tubs.

Oh, & your a jammy bugger. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

can't risk the mosquitos

You fit the sharks with frickin' laser beams; they kill the mozzies.

Stoner
    Free Member

Well EON have jst taken me round the back. Dry.

So the budget for treats has been cut by £3k 🙁

ah well.

Has Cat5/6 got a range limit on cable lenght?

Stoner
    Free Member

insulated like a fat chick in a duvet factory.

iDave
    Free Member

Have you booked Kevin McLeod?

Stoner
    Free Member

hoohee?

MrAgreeable

Turn your stairs into a giant marimba.

iDave
    Free Member

Him off the telly – Grand Designs bloke – he follows interesting developments waiting for things to go wrong, then pretends to be happy when it all works out. I wouldn't go there.

tinsy
    Free Member

the geezer from grand designs isnt it?.. might be worth it at that rekon they pay for the footage they take.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not sure I had appreciated the full grandeur of the project previously. It needs a moat. 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

there's a bar in Livigno with a great copper spiral slide to the basement – which can be ridden…… better than stairs

Stoner
    Free Member

ahh. dont watch TV so he's passed me by.

Im quite capable of screwing this up without some arse off the TV looking over my shoulder and assisting in the screwing-up! 😉

BD – the proles round 'ere have webbed feet. A moat would be no good whatsoever. I might have a look at mercenaries instead.

miketually
    Free Member

You need a garage that converts into a boathouse, like ours. Most of the year, this is a big, barn-like garage. Occasionally, it turns into a boat house.

Unfortunately, we haven't discovered how to control this conversion as yet, and we're at the whim of the river.

(Excuse the crappy pic – needed full zoon on my phone to avoid getting my feet wet.)

29erKeith
    Free Member

Cat 5 = 100meters
    not sure about 6 but probably the same
    anything over that go for fiber optics

Stoner
    Free Member

mt – cant see flickr here, but Im guessing you need an argocat for your garage 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers keith. Maybe Ill have a word with my sparks about it.

ourmaninthenorth

You need a garage that converts into a boathouse, like ours. Most of the year, this is a big, barn-like garage. Occasionally, it turns into a boat house.

Good grief, Mike. I know you told me it had flooded last week, but I didn't expect it to be such that you looked like you live in the Everglades..!

Time to trade the Yuba in for something more practical. Like one of these:

This is called Xylonite – I sailed on it once as a child.

GrahamS

Have you considered a floating duck house:

Milkie
    Free Member

Cat6 cable has the capability to do 10Gb/s for a maximum of approx 50metres.
    To do 1Gb/s (this speed is starting to trickle into homes, previously) it is 100m.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Mod my house, pimp my pad…’ is closed to new replies.