Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Mobile phone
  • stusummerside
    Free Member

I cant decide what phone to get need help please im thinking of getting a Sony X10 or iphone or HTC ?

Kato

HTC Desire is supposed to be the bollocks. I'm upgrading my HTC Hero to that

psychle
    Free Member

been playing with a Desire (mine) and an X10 (my wife's) over the weekend. for me (and her in fact) the Desire wins hands down, it's much more intuitive to use… so, the X10 is going back and being swapped for another HTC…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    naokfreek
    Free Member

The gf has a desire..very nice kit, house mate has an hd2 and likes the desire more….

davesmum
    Free Member

I ordered a HTC Legend from Vodafone online store on Friday. I did it via Quidco and got £150 cashback too, although this is now down to £90. It is nice to be paid £150 for the phone, as opposed to paying £100 for the iPhone and then paying more in line rental for an equivalent tariff.

I had a play with one and it seems great and very similar to the Desire (same Android OS I think), but the line rental is cheaper. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow 😀

muggomagic

Had an iPhone, now have an HTC desire.

In terms of which is better then I suppose it comes down to what you might use it for.

IPhone wins
    Music player
    Email
    Apps – at the moment the quantity and possibly the quality of iPhone apps are better than Android market, but as the Android market grows I'm sure it'll be on a par with Apple pretty soon.
    Voice control – always worked really well for me.

Desire wins
    Speed
    Camera – really impressive camera. Lots of adjustment and a flash
    Multitasking
    Can use memory as flash drive
    Memory is expandable
    Can get a separate battery
    Like the haptic feedback too.
    I can read singletrack mag on it too.

I'm really impressed with the desire. I originally upgraded with the idea of getting rid of the desire, but after using it for a day I had my doubts after a couple of weeks I decided to keep the desire.
    Only thing I really miss is the music player of the iPhone.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I sent my HTC Legend back as it had very poor reception compared to the Blackberry Storm it replaced and the Nokia 6500 I've reverted back to. (Same sim/contract)

From looking around the web this does seem to be a known (minor) issue when comparing the Legend against the Desire.

Flaperon

HTC Desire or Nexus One – both are fundamentally the same platform though the Nexus One does have a few extra toys*. iPhone does have a couple of advantages (music player, app store) but Nexus One thrashes it as far as screen quality and speed.

Chuck in replaceable batteries and a growing app store, and I'd go for the Nexus One / Desire. Besides, if you hate it you can just eBay it and buy a PAYG iPhone.

* Specifically, an extra microphone on the back for noise cancellation which leads to crystal clear calls.

Edit: I should add that I have a Nexus One, but mine was free from Google as a "thank you" so bear in mind I'm not completely unbiased.

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

Desire is very good.

In fact I am reading/posting with it now…

Lovely screen, fast and responsive.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I went from being a total Nokia head to an SE convert (currently got a W995 that I really like) but I do need better email access. Checked out the SE X10 but reviews are mixed and it's got old software.

The Desire does seem very good but I could do with being able to still use my W995 for weekends (it has a very good camera) and because it's much more compact.

How silly is the idea of keeping the W995 and swapping sim card over when I need to smaller phone? Does the sim card come out of the Desire quite easily?

Might sound odd but there are many situations where a big touch screen phone will be a pain. Most of the time it should be fine.

I'm also very anti i-phone – they just annoy me. So an alternative is great to know about!

psychle
    Free Member

easy to take the sim out of the Desire, probably easier than the W995 in fact. Re. size, try one out in store if you can, I hardly notice it in a pocket or the like, my last phone was the K800i which felt bigger (despite being smaller, I think it weighs more and the extra thickness is what you notice rather than the width?)

rossrobot
    Free Member

iPhone – will change the way you use a mobile. Yes, the battery is pap, and the camera could be better, but after 18 months I still love mine and can't imagine changing. Plus, if you wait till June there will be a major update.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just like I don't want to join the herd and get a FS bike, I also don't want an i-phone. Ever.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If the current iPhone is in your 'possibles' list then you may just want to hang on a few weeks for the new version as the main changes from the 3gs are: faster, multitasking, better camera with flash, better battery life, forward facing camera, new [HD?] screen.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

X10 screen is fantastic. I love it. I love not being able to see the pixels.
    It is proper 16:10 res so iplayer/DVD rips/youtube fit perfectly.
    Readable outdoors too, which from what I hear is a problem with the Desire.
    Camera is good too

Biggest downside is the battery life. A few menus are a bit quirky but like any technology you learn it.
    I also find a touchscreen makes certain things more fiddly than having dedicated buttons.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just called Orange business "support" waited a few years for them to bother answering and was told the Desire is available from tomorrow for just under £50 on contract. Think I'll go for it.

The things that put me off the X10 are the old Android software, the size of it and the tragic battery life. Desire seems to get better scores on reviews.

I'm allowed to keep the W995 too for it's decent camera, handy torch and general robustness. Ideal.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

To be fair I have not found 1 app that says my software is too old.
    All I am missing apparently is the full 16m colours & google earth.
    Agree it is big…but that's what happens with a lovely big screen 🙂
    Desire looks great too though

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ooo – I really like SE phones so if the X10 was good enough, I'd get one. But the HTC seems to pip it and I use Google Earth quite a bit!

Will have my superb W995 for weekend duties.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Fair enough
    The android market is great too, apptastic 🙂

freddyg
    Free Member

Another happy Desire user here too.

My only complaint is that I can't get it to work with my bluetooth headset (on my motorbike helmet – Cardo Scala Q2) for hands free dialling. Not a big deal though, I can still receive calls.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I'm so glad there's such a positive response with the desire. Mine should be delivered to me withing the next couple of hours. 😀
    Has anyone used the mytracks app yet? is it worth getting?

muggomagic

cardiotrainer is better than my tracks IMO. It is also free.

stumpy01

I am pleased with my HTC desire – had it about a month now. I think it's one of the only things I have ever bought as soon as it came out, and that was only coincidental.
    Before that I'd had SE phones since 2000; was gonna get a W995 but had a play with the HTC Desire in the shop & was sold.

I am considering getting my K850i unlocked so I can put my SIM in it & use it when away biking for the weekend, but not sure I can be bothered.
    Probably better off just getting a sturdy case for it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I've got a desire and its good, but not great.

Problems I think with it are:

* MS Office use is to say the least difficult (ie Outlook)
    * Hotmail doesnt work properly
    * Really could do with a stylus as the keyboard is pretty crap

Therefore as a business/stroke working tool its not the best, as a toy though its fantastic!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Slight HiJack here o2 have offered me a HTC desire for my next upgrade

I'm really only interested in battery life, Phone, Camera and GPS for in car navigation — web stuff, enmail and the like is really low on my list.

Is the HTC my best bet or is something else going to top it for what I want?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

MyTracks – Yes it works and gives you info, however it uses google maps, so when I used it on local moorland, it basically just showed a route over a patch of green, so therfore good for on road, useless off road

joolsburger
    Free Member

Cool thanks for that.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Viewranger is out now for off road OS mapping

muggomagic

Jools, go for a nokia N86 or similar. The battery life isn't great on the desire. The top range nokia come with free navigation software too.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've got an HD2 and the daughter has a Desire, the Desire is very nice but I wanted to run Memory Map and the Outlook/Office integration. If it wasn't for that I'd go for the Desire.

freddyg
    Free Member

ooOOoo – Member

Viewranger is out now for off road OS mapping

For which o/s? I can't find it in the Android Marketplace for the Desire.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    freddyg
    Free Member

Lovely! Thanks.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just got an HTC Desire on Orange (some black special edition thingy). It looks nice. Any ideas on how the hell I use it?!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phone’ is closed to new replies.