Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Moan – Constant maintenance
  • timnwild

I feel your pain mate.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

go ss, ignore brake drag. sorted!

ampthill

I agree disc brakes are a pain

jedi

i use the credit card method of maintenance 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Your Bike hates you.

Divorce it and get a younger model.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Get a road bike and stop moaning!

If this fails take up golf!

br
    Free Member

Is it a full-sus and in need of the pivots/bearings/bushes doing, so ‘ghost’ shifting?

Also check the hanger.

And the brakes, if not maxle, are the skewers ‘slipping’?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Always baffles me this, how people have so many issues with gears.

Setting them up correctly in the first place is pretty straight forwards and after an initial adjustment on new cables there’s very little to do on them.

I think that people overestimate just how fine an adjustment is required to get them shifting sweetly, the same also applies to disc brakes. Line them up correctly and so long as your rotors are striaght you should have very few issues.

Personally I find that with gears, XTR cables in SP41 outters is faultless and cheap enough, sling on a KMC X9 and above chain, get them set up correctly and they’ll be fine for months on end.

Brakes, it’s more than loosen the bolts, pull the lever and re-tighten the bolts. They too require careful alignment and so long as the calipers are in good working order – pistons move in and out tangentially to the caliper body – they’ll be fine.

stcolin
    Free Member

Steve, thanks for the reply. When I fitted the mudlover cables I set them up correctly, as I do everytime. I took cable stretch into account and made some adjustments after the first lot of rides. Then after a couple of settled rides, the problems always arise.

Brakes seemed okay in the heavy rain tonight though! 😆

phiiiiil

I briefly had Mudlovers cables; the liner got pulled into the shifter somehow, so until it got really bad and totally gummed up it did all sorts of weird things, feeling fine but pulling and releasing random lengths of cable each change. Get rid, get normal cables and get some decent cutters – then it only takes 15 minutes to change the cable whenever it needs doing.

From one with a clicking drivetrain that I just can’t fix, I feel your pain!

stcolin
    Free Member

A new brake squeak developed on this morning commute! 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

DONT align you brakes by letting the pistons centre the caliper!
    You should align the caliper so that the disc is in the centre of the slot with equal spacing between the disc and caliper on both sides. If you have one piston which moves more than the other it wont be centred properly.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Oh, and all Shimano apart from the SRAM cassette.

in my experience, if your using this combo with a shimano chain you will have issues. sram cassette=sram chain. shimano cassette=sram or shimano chain. for what its worth. also check the b tension screw is adjusted correctly.

with regards the front brake, it could be the wheel axle that is moving which is why it doesnt squeal whel you just sppin the wheel when its off the ground.

foxyrider
    Free Member

in my experience, if your using this combo with a shimano chain you will have issues. sram cassette=sram chain. shimano cassette=sram or shimano chain. for what its worth. also check the b tension screw is adjusted correctly.

Not in mine but each to their own 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’ve had loads that didn’t work very well. mostly treks. not claiming its universal by any means. but its something worth checking.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Moan – Constant maintenance’ is closed to new replies.