Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Moab – Tell me about it
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Whats it like? What did you do?

Obviously interested in bike related activities, but other stuff as well.

uplink
    Free Member

It's very hot for most of the year & they have weird alcohol laws

glenh
    Free Member

Pretty crap place apart from the slickrock.

glenh
    Free Member

theflatboy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Go there!!

It's a great place, bike hire is easy, trails easy to find, good food, relaxed atmosphere. Go in September (we did) when it's cooler and quieter.
    We did Slickrock and Porcupine Rim, the best 2 trails I've ever ridden TBH.
    We rented a car and stayed at Moab RV park in a log cabin for $50 a night (Sleeps 4) Plenty of space available everywhere, no need to book.
    We hired bikes from Poison Spider, but there's 3-4 other shops and the rates are reasonable. Poison Spider were really good – They set the bikes up for us properly, frendly advice.
    There's a bus that takes you to the start of Porc Rim.
    Arches National Park is a short drive and well worth it – Go to Delicate Arch to see the sunset.
    There's 4×4 tours into the desert from town, and all sorts of other activities to do.
    You'll never regret going there. I want to go back SOON, and to Crested Butte etc too.

Doit, doit, doit!
    😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

"pretty crap"??????????

Are you out of your minds?

🙄

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – I think a few miles down the road @ Fruita/Grand Junction has a lot more going for it
    We drove to Moab from GJ for a couple of days of riding rather than stay there

theflatboy
    Free Member

i've got no idea, to be fair. all i know about it is that when i was a youngster first getting into biking in the early 90s, there was nowhere on earth i wanted to go more – it was like mecca!

nicko74

It's like heaven for bikers, with all sorts of trails and playgrounds on the rock. A couple of nice pizza restaurants, plus a big MickeyD's, and accommodation from the cheap and sociable (the Lizard hostel, IIRC) to the more comfortable and pricey (Super 8 Motel etc). I was there twice in a couple of months for a few days each time, but you could easily spend a week or so just biking and going to Arches National Park; more if you go rafting, 4x4ing, or further afield to Zion NP etc. The locals are all very friendly, and if you like bikes, the LBSs are great, although a bit pricey.

Things will be easier if you have your own transport – you can get to Slickrock early in the morning to avoid the heat and the tourists, for example, and some of the other trails are a bit out of the way from the town centre. Personally I wish I'd been back, but I just haven't really had the opportunity.

jimmy

when i was a youngster first getting into biking in the early 90s, there was nowhere on earth i wanted to go more – it was like mecca!

Me too. Went in 2006 and was a bit disappointed, but more because I hadn't 'managed my expectations'. Its good riding, but depends what you're after. If its epic scenery (see pic), physically tough & technical trails then you'll love it. We'd been to Whistler the year before and had the best time ever so I was hoping for a similar experience, but of course its very different in almost every respect.

Here's my fave pic from the tour. And a few more.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Porc Rim – 14 miles of trail ahead, all to ourselves

Jimmy, pic of us in the same place I think!
    🙂

A couple from slickrock…

Delicate Arch at sunset

I will go back one day. I loved the place…!

RealMan
    Free Member

Now thats a manwich

trailmonkey

i really want to go, just love the look of those roadrunneresque landscapes. been to the alps a couple of times and want to try something different.

Driller
    Free Member

It's sunny, there's hundreds of miles of dry, dusty singletrack in the most spectacular scenery you will have ever ridden in, it's super accessible, the vibe is super-chilled, the bike shops are really friendly and will help you out with route advice, bike hire, where to stay, even someone to ride with, and when you've finished riding you can eat until you burst and then drink cold beer while the sun turns that fabulous view redder and redder and redder.

I mean, what's to like about that?

Go, every mountain biker should, it is the definitive Mountain Bike Mecca.

lardman
    Free Member

it's a great place for about 3-4 days. Porcupine Rim is an amazing trail. Just don't look down.
    Slickrock is good for a day blast, and there's lots of technical bits to keep you entertained.

Fruita is not far, is suposed to be a great place to ride as well.

do it.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

oh my god cant believe those guys think its crap?? They obviously didnt bother to fin dthe rides out there. Just got back from a week in fruita n moab been 5 or 6 times its great, u defo have to take a shuttle upto Burro pass and ride the whole enchilada its the dogs b!"$£$£s we went with coyote shuttles too. Depending on how long ur out for i would do fruita also there are some great rides in this area, joes ridge gunny loop is wicked and the one next to joes ridge but the name slips my mind? get out there u wont regret it the states is wicked-off to sedona next yr me thinks!!!

sarahkeast
    Free Member

Was there last summer, it is fun. Upper Porcupine Rim is greatness, there is a new extension above the older trail, get a shuttle. So good we went back and did it again. Slick Rock was fun, but not really my thing. Amazing what you can do there tho.

If you dont go there but still head stateside I would highly recommend South Boundary Trail [Taos, New Mexico] and Hermosa Creek [Durango, Colorado] right up there with Upper Porcupine. My fave trails ever.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Moab – Tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.