Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mirrorless Cameras
  • harryjan
    Free Member

Since we’re planning on biking in Nepal in September I feel that I should have something a little more advanced than a phone camera for the panoramic shots.

Looking at the options it looks like the new style ‘mirrorless’ or micro 4/3s cameras seem like a good balance between quality and compactness.

Any advice on carrying/using them in action?

Liking the look (and price…) of the Panasonic GX7

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sony a6000 would be my first choice of a small mirrorless. But… you won’t go wrong picking one you like the look of. They’re all good, and have been for a few years.

cp

OP, out of interest, did you post a link to the GX7 in your post or is it the skim resources crap back again, as when I clicked the link I get the browser address bar quickly alternating between an ad service and skim resources and ending up at Jessops.

cp

PS, I have an a5000 and rate it very highly. The Sony alphas in general are a very good choice.

CraigW
    Free Member

Got a Lumix G5 here, I like it. Its a nice size for carrying around, and decent image quality, plenty of manual options if you want. And a decent viewfinder, and swivel screen is handy. I think the GX7 is a similar thing, but a bit slimmer.
    There is a good range of nice lenses for Micro 4/3. I think its nice to have a pancake prime for lightweight carry – the Lumix 14mm is good for landscapes etc.

If getting a new camera I’d look at the Lumix G7, it has 4K video and 4K photos modes. And not too expensive with the cashback offers.

darrell
    Free Member

am still using an old GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens

its excellent for everyday messing about

I am considering getting a new 4/3 camera

rone

We have a pair of GH4s – which are used for video. They’re seriously good for 4K.

Photography wise they’re a bit down on sensitiviy which won’t be a problem for the outdoors.

The GH4 may be too big for trips so maybe check out the GX7 – a terrific camera, what the GF uses.

That 20mm lens mentioned above is my favourite.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Flogged my RX100 mk3 and got a Sony A6000 with Zeiss 16-70 F4 lens.

Lovely, quick, superb photo quality.

The 16-50 kit lens is a fair bit smaller and more travel friendly. Not bad quality either really.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

John Lewis are doing panasonic cashback plus trade-in on the GX7 and the G7, with a slightly better deal on the G7.

I am thinking of trading up my G6, although using an old TZ5 or FZ38 for the trade in and selling the G6 on ebay.

The G7 with the 14-140mm lens (I have the G6 with that lens) and it is hardly any different in size from a good bridge camera, and fits snugly in an Lowepro 100 AW case, which is a nice sized case for travelling.

The GX7 might also fit in that same case, but the G7 has 4K photo mode and better auto-focus.

harryjan
    Free Member

Thanks sounds like the GX7 is a good deal then (and since its payday…..)

Any good advice on a suitable case that will protect against MTB thrills and spills in the main pack?

failedengineer

Not quite the same, but I’ve just bought an Olympus Stylus 1s which seems an excellent compromise. Bigger sensor than a travel zoom or a bridge camera, fast 28-300mm lens, RAW and loads of manual options. Best of all though, a superb electronic viewfinder. Fits in that Lowepro case above, too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just been to JL for a camera fondle. The GX7 is quite a nice size and has a flash whereas the GX8 doesn’t. The LX100 feels real good as well.

harryjan
    Free Member

Colour me convinced and camera purchased.

Any recommendations for cases for MTBing?

CraigW
    Free Member

For a case, something like the Lowepro Format TLZ 10. Should be big enough for the GX7 with the kit lens (though you might have to reverse the lens hood). Has a bit of padding, so no problems with chucking it in a rucksack.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Think it should also fit the lowepro 100 AW case based on its size, as I said…

Turns out the G7 is very snug in that case with the 14-140mm lens (the G6 was perfect), such that I have to take the spare battery out of the case !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mirrorless Cameras’ is closed to new replies.