Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • Anyone own a Sony RX100?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I am considering buying one as currently I take a lot of photos and just use my phone which is an HTC one M8 which is fine for small format photos i.e. instagram but now that I have started to make a bit of a website for myself and have been posting more photos online I realise how crap the image quality is on full screen on a computer. The good thing about the phone is that it is so small you can just stick it in your pocket and forget about it then whip it out easily whenever you take a photo, so I have been looking for a decent compact camera that could work in a similar way practically. Maybe i’ll devise a way of attaching the camera in a case to the top tube or something if it is too bulky in my pocket.

Anyway, what I would love is if anyone happened to have one on here and could give their opinion along with any examples of their biking/landscape/action shots and even video as that is what I would be using it mostly for.

Thanks!

duner
    Free Member

I’ve got one, not used the video much but excellent for riding pics once you get the hang of the settings, definitely worth spending time learning how to use all the manual controls, but also good on auto.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I only really have landscape shots from mine (Mk1). It is a true pocket-rocket IMO. Don’t favour the interface/controls for the main part (although it is finally making more sense after much practice) and it requires an added grip for confident, steady shooting – but despite these shortcomings (again IMO) the IQ is superb. Dynamic range is also truly impressive, especially in RAW yet even the JPGs exhibit more shadow detail than any other compact I’ve tried.

speed12
    Free Member

It’s a properly ace little camera – image quality from RAW is scarily close to my 6D.

I’ve got the mk1 which is excellent, but it seemed to just get better and better with each Mark. Basically pick a new or used one of any Mark based on how much you want to spend (I.e. Want cheaper get a mk1, OK to spend more get a mk4) and you’ll have s brilliant little camera.

chipps

Great cameras. I had one for a couple of years, then lost it(!), bought a different camera and didn’t get on with it, so bought another RX100 (Mk1) and of course promptly found the first one…

There are great differences between the Mk1 2 and 3. To be honest, I reckon the Mk1 is the one – unless you really need WiFi and GPS. The Mk1 can be had for £200 s/h and it’s a steal. The shots are good enough for Singletrack magazine stuff, but it’s small enough to put on a Camelbak pouch or in a jacket pocket. Battery life is good and, as others have said, if you learn its ways, it is a very rewarding camera. Both of mine recently broke (one broken lens motor (turned on in a pocket…) and one just went mad) so I cannibalised them and got one fixed camera out of both wreckages.

Also look at the Canon S100

crewlie

Brilliant little camera, mk3 here, often take it rather than the SLR, especially on the bike. Not done a lot of video, but what I have done has been very nice. As above better with the add on grip and it takes a bit of getting to grips with all the menu options.

Biking and scenery…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sQaVAh]Suilven by -crewlie-[/url]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/tNyKy6]Loch Morar by -crewlie-[/url]

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

kongman28
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mk3, I’ve used my CSC far less since getting it. I’ve not got any examples to upload but as others have said the image quality is outstanding. I too got it to get better shots than my phone and it certainly does that and its compact size really makes it easy to carry.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Square crops at dawn. (JPEG with onboard DRO)

(Wonder if distant biker is an STWer…?)

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Looks good guys, that first image looks like a CGI malver rider.

For my price range i’d be considering just the mark 1, i have spotted a second hand one with warranty until mid 2017 for 200 quid so considering that.

Managed to have a go on one in the shop and there did seem a lot of stuff hidden in menues but as for controls and settings i’m a little used to used them manually as I used to have an SLR but sold it as I never carried it since it was too big.

justinbieber

I was about to ask a similar question – I’m seriously tempted by the mk3, but am also considering the Canon GX7 – has anyone compared the two, which did you go for and why?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

that first image looks like a CGI malver rider.

It does now you mention it. I opened the original up in Snapseed, pressed auto correct and then added a vignette to focus attention on the crop/path. Will try and dig out the unedited/unadulterated original

*Edit. Here it is:

400ISO
    F11

This was back in May when the camera was new to me. I deliberately underexposed by knocking exposure comp down a few just to see how much shadow detail I could pull back after the event (from JPEG single frame ie no DRO)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This taken a few days ago. Nothing I think special about the pic except to show how it handled low natural light particularly well.

grum
    Free Member

They’re amazing IMO. I have a mk I too – got it for £215 from http://www.expeditelectronics.com – shadow recovery on a RAW file is definitely comparable to a 5D MK III, possible even better in some circumstances! Great little thing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Had a mk1, sold it. Lovely quality but found it a bit slower use.

Now on a mk3. Love it. Same or better image quality, quicker to use.

DrJ

Mk1 here. As previously said, if it broke I’d go straight out and buy another, only upgrade to Mk IV. I also have a Nikon D800 and sometimes I wonder why I bothered carrying the weight around and not just put the RX100 in my pocket.

robj20
    Free Member

Got a Mk1 and still love it, gets used more than even my Sony A7R.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Many thanks chaps, some good examples there which have certainly helped in my decision making

grum
    Free Member

Couple more examples for ya:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BZowWY]Portobello (5 of 5)[/url] by Graham Wynne, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CPBeSF]Descending Table Mountain (1 of 1)[/url] by Graham Wynne, on Flickr

beanum

I’ve got a MkI. They’re great little cameras and so versatile once you’ve got the hang of things. A stick on finger grip is a really good idea as it’s a bit slippery otherwise. You can program the Fn button as a shortcut to tab between 7 different parameters which saves a lot of faffing around in the menus. Unlike some cameras it will remember your settings if you switch it off and back on again which is really handy – unless you forget that you left it on selftimer and a week later can’t work out why it won’t take photos… 😆

[url=https://flic.kr/p/v4fZ6P]Cham7[/url] by Beanum, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/v64mre]Lavaux 1[/url] by Beanum, on Flickr

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Any compelling reasons to get a IV over a III – apart from the 4K?

tillydog
    Free Member

For my price range i’d be considering just the mark 1, i have spotted a second hand one with warranty until mid 2017 for 200 quid so considering that.

That’s not far off the price of a new MK1. (There was a cash-back offer until recently)

I have one. It’s great. Image quality is outstanding – nothing I looked at of a similar size came close (sub £500). It’s very versatile, once you get your head around the various options and ways of configuring the controls to access them (setting things via the menus is tiresome). It’s much more pleasant to use with a stick on grip (a Franiec (sp?) grip is well made, feels nice and looks like it’s always been there).

but…

Mine, (2+ years old), now has a hair that shows up at the edge of the frame at small apertures and certain zoom settings. I have tried the ‘hoover trick’ but that didn’t shift it, so ended up taking the camera to pieces to clean the sensor / back of the lens (not for the faint hearted). Even though I usually keep the camera in a case, the sensor was absolutely covered in lint, so it is not well sealed, and even though I cleaned the sensor and blew out the back of the lens, the hair is still there, so it must be trapped inside the lens assembly. (I’ve switched to 4:3 format for the time being so it doesn’t show).

It’s a fantastic camera, and I’d still heartily recommend it, but I would really avoid putting it in my pocket without it being in a case of some sort – and check any 2nd hand ones carefully for dust/hairs at the smallest aperture through the full zoom range at 3:2 format.

P.S. It does really good video, too.

AlexSimon

Am I correct in thinking the Mk1 has £60 cashback at the moment!
    If so then it’s available new for £197 net from Wilkinson Cameras or from John Lewis for £204 (which would probably be my preference)

https://www.sony.co.uk/cashback/digital-imaging

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

John Lewis have a 2 year warranty as standard and only £40 to extend it a year, and it includes accidental cover.

AlexSimon

Most sites are saying £30 cashback at the moment, but the Sony page they link to says £60. I’ve read good and bad things about cashback claims, so I guess it’s best not to bank on it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I would guess JL would back you up if nothing came of the claim?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the Sony site must be wrong as the cashback seems to scale with the model and the RX100M4 has £50, so I wouldn’t think that the base model would have a bigger cashback on it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Any compelling reasons to get a IV over a III – apart from the 4K?

from what I’ve seen in reviews the noise on images actually seems to be worse in the mk IV.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Most sites are saying £30 cashback at the moment, but the Sony page they link to says £60. I’ve read good and bad things about cashback claims, so I guess it’s best not to bank on it.

Yeah, they send you a credit card type thing that you have to register and enable and then you have the money on that card to spend. Which is a pain in itself.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yeah, they send you a credit card type thing that you have to register and enable and then you have the money on that card to spend. Which is a pain in itself.

well that’s a description failure in itself – that’s not cash…

shuhockey
    Free Member

I got a bank transfer when I claimed my cashback from sony about 3 or 4 months ago. Got mine from Harrisons in Sheffield the II with the official case thrown in and it was double cash back at the time(£80). Also traded in my old camera and lenses to fund it.

mudmuncher

Have a Mk1. Can also highly recommend. The HD video and sound quality is very good.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Thanks for the cashback spot! definitely makes just buying one new from John Lewis the most sense with a two year warranty!

Anyone able to confirm the cashback question of what you are actually given back? is it a store credit type thing for sony or john lewis or actual cash/BT?

AlexSimon

This is what it says in the T&Cs:

The Cashback will be provided in the form of a direct bank transfer to accounts which are operated by a financial institution located in the UK or Republic of Ireland. This is on assumption that correct electronic bank details are supplied. Alternative cashback fulfilment is not possible. Note that successful claimants will have their Cashback provided by direct bank transfer provided correct bank details have been included and receipt is valid and readable. Claimants
    from the United Kingdom will have their Cashback paid in sterling whereas claimants from the Republic of Ireland will have their Cashback paid in Euros.

nedrapier

grum, you’ve had the LX7 too, haven’t you?

How do you rate their relative strengths and weaknesses?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Alexsimon – many thanks!

cb

The double cash back is over I think – there was a date limitation on it. I managed to get it for the HX90 that I bought.

Kit
    Free Member

Expedite are cheeky shites! Free delivery to the United Kingdom (4-7 days delivery), but to Scotland they want £15 and delivery due 6-10 days!

tenfoot

I haven’t got one, but I’m very much enjoying the lovely pictures being posted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Sony RX100?’ is closed to new replies.