Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Minion Front or High roller
  • SOAP
    Free Member

for a Rear tyre!
    anyone tried both?
    which is better and why in wetter conditions.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Minion without doubt and I have used both.

nickc

You can turn a high roller around the other way for better grip in the slop, but it's pretty draggy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR front of course.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Minion again, and I've tried both. Now using a DHF on the back after a DHR and very happy.

GW
    Free Member

depends how you ride TBH and a cut spike will blow them both away in the wet

Kbrembo
    Free Member

+1 Minion and have ridden both.

SOAP
    Free Member

Minion on backwards or standard way round?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

If its on the rear then you'll need a Minion DHR and put it on the right way – works for me! 🙂

SOAP
    Free Member

I found the minion rear so sketchy! lasted 1 ride

brant
    Free Member

My introduction to 'proper tyres' started with a Minion up front. Then I went to a High Roller for a while, but initially didn't like the way it twisted under braking in corners. So I stopped braking in corners.

Just gone back (this afternoon) to a Minion. I'll see how I get on.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

High roller, on the rear in the normal direction lacks climbing grip i find.

Didn't like Minion DHR, lacked sideways grip.

This is very subjective and my technique is far from perfect.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a High Roller 2.1 rear and it's crap compared to the Minion I have on the front. Tested the Minion DHF in a wet Forest of Dean today and it performed really well. Back end with the HR 2.1 was sliding all over the place – fun for a while but it gets annoying. Might just need the wider DH version?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

DHR for me when its dry, i.e. when the mud doesn't stick to the tyre. They are faster than an DHF, and also as mentioned drifty and therefore predictable.

DHF on the rear has never been great for me.

In the wet swampthings, and in the proper mud wet screams.

_tom_
    Free Member

So does the DHF as a rear tyre not work too well? Mine's on the front but its been suggested that I put it on the rear and then get a 2.5 42a for the front. Seems like the DHF will be too draggy on the rear but what do you reckon?

Bear in mind that it's getting wetter and a little extra grip may not go amiss especially over wet roots etc?

craig1975
    Free Member

The DHR has a difernt tread patern than the front… this is to help you gain traction over techy steap climbs.. roots, rocks etc..

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The DHF turned around and put on the rear is something I personally don't understand but several pro's use it for DH.

The DHR is designed to have a lower rolling resistance than the DHF or HR but it is a DH tyre not a trial or XC tyre. the DHF is designed to give more grip than a HR on the front. Turning the DHF round puts the ramps the in reverse something you could with a HR.

The HR has much more pronouced ramps though hence why personally I think the minion DHF rolls better.

Gotta be honest though I run Der kiasers now and they are much better than HR's or minions for dry / damp DH riding, last ten times longer aswell. Not tried the 3C maxxis tyres yet though.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Minion, I tried a 2.5 supertacky hi-roller this weekend and foud it to have much less cornering grip than the 2.4 fat albert and 2.3 specialized clutch I've used before so the minion must be better?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I agree with you there. HR's aren't what they are cracked up to be.
    If you run a HR supertacky on teh rear end of a trail bike you will feel like someone is holding upto you seat post when your climbing and the slips really badly on roots when climbing.

ex-pat
    Free Member

I wish I'd read this thread before 'treating' myself to a couple of Maxxis HR 2.35's a few years back. They didn't last more than one long excursion, wayyyy too tacky for XC however hardcore.

_tom_
    Free Member

The DHF turned around and put on the rear is something I personally don't understand but several pro's use it for DH.

What don't you like about it? Just too draggy or what?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Both tyres are so similar I really doubt whether 99% of the people reading this could really discern any difference.

I've been using both for five or six years and I prefer high rollers because, in my head at least, they roll better and break away more predictably. I'll happily run minions if I cant buy high rollers though. I think my preference for high rollers stems purely from the fact that I bought them first and that they are the default tyre for most world cup dh racers.

ex-pat
    Free Member

And whilst we're at it, I broke with tradition completely and (allegedly) put the wrong one's on the front/back, here.

Having done this, I feel like I've got a guilty secret, as two rides in I'm loving the way the bike handles, and it's giving me heaps of confidence into corners, now playing with leaning over front & in to get cornering even better. The front doesn't wash really, and if it does it's very predictable. And the back digs in and goes just as it's supposed to.
    Really surprised at how easy the bike rolls though, on the to-trail commute on concrete it feels like no resistance to speak of.
    Anyway, I am curious if anyone else has (in a fit of madness) tried a similar oddball combo?

Apologies for the slight threadjack, seemed sort of on topic though…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Minion Front or High roller’ is closed to new replies.