Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mijas, Spain
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Any good tour/hire companies?

thanks in advance.

near Marbella

simonralli2
    Free Member

http://www.sierracycling.com would be a good place to start.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, that looks great. Has anyone used them or other suggestions?

Woody
    Free Member

I’m envious. Lived there 25 years ago and wasn’t into bikes then. I would think the terrain there is fantantastic for mtb 😀

roper
    Free Member

There is some very good riding in the area, for mtbs and road bikes.
    hammy7272, there were one or two other tour companies in the area but I think the recession has had the better of them. When are you planning on coming over and what type of riding are you looking to do?
    It is nice and warm here now 🙂

bamboo
    Free Member

Sierra cycling are ok, I’ve been with them once before. The riding was good, but the holiday as a whole was a bit poor – I very much got the impression that the owners would do the bare minimum that they could get away with. The hire bikes for example were very poorly maintained. The guides were excellent though.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve been with Sierra Cycling a couple of times and would go again. The riding when I went wasn’t as challenging as some others I’ve been with but being based on the coast in a town give you a more rounded holiday than some maybe.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I am with the other half so probably just going to a day trip if possible?

Would it be worth hiring a bike and exploring myself? Our hotel is near Mijas.

thanks again

Arriving 9th of August and staying for 8 nights. I am looking for red graded singletrack. Don’t mind pedalling but flowing singletrack in a nice setting would perfect.

roper
    Free Member

There are lots of routes arround the area but finding them would be a problem and local maps are not that good. For proper mtbing I would recommend a days guided riding. You would be able to fit a lot more in and would be safer, especially if you don’t know the area or language.

Hire bikes would be a good way of exploring the area though, just don’t wonder too far off the beaten track. The roads are pretty safe for riding on and drivers are ok with bikes in this part of the world. It has been quite hot though, over 30C in the shade last week.
    There are some nice little towns if you head in-land and ou will find some great tapas.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers Roper. I am a huge fan of Tapas! Any towns or restaurants you would recommend?

wheelz
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of trips with Sierra Cycling. They were ideal for us, as we were a group of blokes just looking for a few days mountain biking after testing at Jerez.

Both the riding and the guiding were excellent. Would definitely recommend them. The hardtail I hired after busting my Blur was also in good nick and well maintained.

The riding in the video below was done with Sierra Cycling. Most of the video was shot around Alora…

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/20893890[/video]

enfht
    Free Member

We found a nice little tapas bar hidden away in the old town, worth exploring the narrow twisty stairways and alleys

roper
    Free Member

If you head inland towards Alora or Ronda, any town will have a welcoming tapas bar. I’ve only really ridden through and arround the area so can’t recommend any specifically ( I live further south). If you go to the coast there will be lots of english breakfast places.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I have emailed Seirra cycling and they are closed till September. Does anyone else know of any companies?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mijas, Spain’ is closed to new replies.