Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Middleburn Cranks
  • rockitman

Thinking about getting some but until now have always had XT.

Any thoughts on them? ISIS or square-taper?

Thanks in advance

joolsburger
    Free Member

I replaced my square taper middleburns a few weeks back as they were completely siezed onto my BB and despite the best efforts of me and my LBS they weren't budging. I had slickshift hardcote rings on 175 arms.

This in no way reflects on the cranks as it was my fault.

However.

I replaced them with a set of XT hollowtech II cranks, they shift a lot better than the Middleburns. I can't say I notice them being stiffer and have no idea how long the rings will last but based on shifting performance I'm glad I changed.

allthegear
    Free Member

I have some ISIS RS7s on my Nicolai and they're fantastic. Never had a moment's trouble out of them.

I have an SKF bottom bracket, if that is worth knowing.

Clembo
    Free Member

I've got isis middleburn uno on my simple. 6 rides in and everything great. Spinning on an SFK bottom bracket which I expect to last.

ononeorange

joolsburger – just interested, why do you believe it to be "your fault" that they are seized on?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Because I left them on for almost 9 years without removing the non driveside crank and it got fused. I stripped the thread trying to get it off and then it was a nightmare to try and get it off so I thought sod it I'll buy some new ones. Also the BB was stuck in the frame despite parktools and a long lever!!

Damn those UN72 bottom brackets they last too long.

mcboo
    Free Member

I'm in the process of gradually converting all my bikes to Middleburn, road ones too when they release them. SS Uno is a work of beauty. Mine spin on a Cobalt.

mcboo
    Free Member

….anyone from Middleburn on here? Road cranks have been "coming soon" since Jesus was a boy…..

ononeorange

Thanks joolsburger! I'm just fitting some and was checking there's not some ancient curse on them if you don't run round them three times flinging salt when fitting them, or something similar. Cheers!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Copperslip, should have used copperslip! I heard a rumour that Middleburn were looking at HTII.

They are great cranks by all accounts but I have to say that Shimano XT's do upshift better IMO based on brand new rings and a well sorted front mech on each. I think they might be lighter as well.

mt
    Free Member

Middleburn on Royce BB. Fantastic.

mudsux
    Free Member

Middleburn were looking at HTII

Blaphemy! HTII is the work of the devil.

Bream
    Free Member

Been over the net for yonks about a HTII coming soon but seems no closer, looking to maybe buy some RS7s myself but would prefer at HTII 😕

bonesetter
    Free Member

MB fan here.

I have 2 pairs used in various changing combinations

JoeNation
    Free Member

Love mine to bits. Need to get a triple ring set-up to use on my new Trance though (that's the beauty of them of course, I can use the same cranks for a sexy SS set-up and a 3×9).

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

adore mine… only i've just had the same problem as joolsburger. LH crank seized onto BB, threads stripped. absolutely gutted…

was in the process of moving them from my SS to a rohloff race bike, where they would look amazing… will have to postpone that though.

imo, though, middleburns look best in an Uno format – never found them that attractive with 3 rings.

sq taper or ISIS (with a good ISIS BB). HT2 might be cool, with a good BB.

HTTP404
    Free Member

HTII on middleburns would be like putting hydraulic fluid in BB7s. 🙂

rockitman

Bonesetter they look wicked.

Squaretaper RS7's? Any particular type of chainring?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn Cranks’ is closed to new replies.