Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • PJay
    Free Member

My Kaspersky Internet Security license is coming up for renewal and I’ve been looking at MSE instead. I’ve just installed this on a number of computers at work and it looks a competent virus checker. Since the Windows 7 firewall seems much improved over the XP one (and now monitors inbound and outbound traffic) a completely free Microsoft security solution might be on the cards. However I can’t find anything on the MSE site about whether it monitors internet/network traffic and emails (which Kaspersky certainly does). Does anyone have any idea?

clubber
    Free Member

It definitely monitors internet traffic.

Cougar

It scans downloaded files and email attachments, yes.

As far as I’m aware it doesn’t “monitor internet traffic” as such, but I think we’re just arguing semantics here.

rocketman
    Free Member

It scans downloaded files and email attachments

it doesn’t “monitor internet traffic”
    ^^ this

Cougar

I stand corrected; I just looked it up, the latest version has “Network Inspection System” on NT6 platforms (Vista onwards).

So, the answer to the OP is, “yes.”

PJay
    Free Member

It certainly looks good for a freebie. Windows Defender is built into Windows 7 (I have it disabled whilst running Kaspersky). Would it be considered defunct with MSE installed or do they complement each other?

cp

I’m about to use MSE & Windows firewall after years of third party software. There’s a prog which gives you easier & more control over the win 7 firewall – Windows 7 Firewall Control, so you can manage outbound connections.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

cp

Defender is anti malware, MSE is antivrus, so they complement each other is my understanding.

Rio

If you just download and install MSE it will take care of Defender for you – I haven’t looked into it but it seems to keep the defender engine but remove the GUI. But make sure you remove all traces of old AV/firewall etc software first or there will be tears later!

Cougar

MSE replaces Windows Defender.

As I understand it, at a technical level MSE is a superset of Defender; MSE contains the MsMpEng anti-malware scanning engine, which is ostensibly Windows Defender.

I haven’t looked into it but it seems to keep the defender engine but remove the GUI.

‘s about the size of it, aye.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ is closed to new replies.