Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Micro SD card damaged – Help!
  • mrben100
    Free Member

Exhausted all avenues I can find/think of.

I’ve got a Micro SD card in my phone (HTC Desire HD) – ran an update on the phone and now its saying the MicroSD card is damaged and will need formatting.
    Only got photos/videos on there but pretty much chronicle the last 3 months we’ve had with our new puppy. (yes i know I should back-up regularly 😳 )

Have tried putting it in an SD card reader on the PC but says file can’t be read.

Anyone? Any Ideas?

geoffj

New puppy?

mrben100
    Free Member

As opposed to an old puppy? (or a dog as some people like to call it)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Recovery software.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Recovery software.

For the puppy?

bananaworld
    Free Member

I’ve no idea if it’s like broken hard drives where some portions of the data can be recovered from around the broken bits, though an IT-wise person will be along soon to say yay or nay. It’s very likely a program could recover some of your data, but the tricky step is getting the damn machine to recognise the existence of the card in the first place.

Sadly flash memory just dies sometimes. I lost the contents of a memory stick and a SD card when they died recently. Irritating, but I have now (after twenty years…) finally learned that backing up is the only true path.

Anyone know if it’s a case of you get what you pay for? Does a branded SD card perform better than a cheapo one from a Hong Kong eBay seller or is it just luck as to how long they last?

mrben100
    Free Member

I did try backing up the puppy but he didn’t like it at all. 😕

Time to find me some free recovery software!

DezB
    Free Member

If it died like mine died – no chance. No computer could even recognise it, let alone recover data from it.

mrben100
    Free Member

^ This is what I fear. The missus is going to kill me 😯

stevehine

know any linux types ? get them to use dd_rescue to create a copy of the card as it currently is before it gets any worse – you can then use recovery tools on the backup image

testdisk and photorec from cgsecurity.org should get back anything that’s plausible.

If you are anywhere near Manchester or Middlesbrough I may be able to help out

mrben100
    Free Member

Unfortunately don’t know any who’s good with linux systems. And even more unfortunately I couldn’t live much further away – in East Anglia.

Edit: thanks anyway!

geoffj
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Micro SD card damaged – Help!’ is closed to new replies.