Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • MESH computers any good?
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thinkin about a new PC dont really want to but old one is a relic, getting slow and tired (a bit like me). Someone recomended mesh computers, they have a deal on for a PC for about £400 with a 19″ monitor. It looks a good spec 500gb hard drive 2 gb of ram. Im no computer expert anyone give me some reasonable advise? Oh its on Vista btw and I have only really used XP is that a big deal>?

tinribz
    Free Member

Mesh are excellent, they build the same as someone building their own would if that makes sense. Not tied to own brand motherboards etc and regularly win magazine’s recommended (pick one of those).

Vista meh, more idiot friendly and flashy but infuriating at first, at the cost of no little amount of resources. If it comes installed the PC should be up to it though.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Yeah vista pre installed i asked about XP but they said suport will be getting fazed out for it so they recomend vista

spooky_b329

We had about four Mesh computers in a row when I was younger (all my brothers bought them), they were great back then and it appears they still are 🙂

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Have had nothing but trouble from mine. After sales is poor. Even the tech team couldn’t fix the problem after I had taken it in personally after they refused to pick it up!!!

I eventually found the problem online and fixed it myself.

I would avoid like the plague! I am not getting another from them!

fubar
    Free Member

Also wouldn’t touch them after watching a work colleague waste lots of time trying to get them to fix his new top-spec gaming machine.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

My folks are using my old DX2 80 as a web browsing machine. Ain’t the fastest but it does them. It just won’t die.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Google their after sales. Lots of horror stories kicking around teh internets.

MattEdmonds
    Free Member

Took them three attempts to find and fix my motherboard issue less than a year after buying it. Since then it’s been fine but they were very very unhelpful. My SO just bought a new pc from Novatech, very nice build quality and excellent spec for the money.

TooTall
    Free Member

Had 2 from them myself, colleagues also had them and my folks are on their 2nd from Mesh. As good as the other top manufacturers and, despite what they say up there, I’ve had great after-sales on the very rare occasion (once) I needed it. Go and buy Computer Shopper magazine and follow their buying guide.

ratadog

I have had 2 computers from MESH. First one was about 10 years ago and came with a duff sound card and after insisting that I ring their premium rate software support phone line to prove that it was not a Windows fault, they eventually agreed that I had a duff soundcard. Cost me 10ukp in telephone charges, but I had the last laugh because they prevaricated so long that their local engineer had gone off sick and the next local was on his hols so they finished up paying someone to drive up from Reading to North Yorkshire to swap the sound card. Even in the heady days of cheaper petrol I don’t think that they made on the deal. They were then very helpful in getting the drivers up dated etc. Second one sales and service were fine.

I think that with all these companies you will get the occasional lemon and I am aware that MESH did go through a period of problems with Customer Service about 5 years ago but by the time I purchased these problems seemed to be sorted out.

lodious
    Free Member

Hope they are OK…ordered a new PC from them last week 🙁 I’ll report back when it arrives.

theotherjonv

I came very close before opting for a shop bought model.

Tip: build one up on their website and save it as a quote, then leave it for a few days. I guess they are keen on the business, I then got a call from one of their sales guys offering a discount on the package I’d specced, eventually taking about 15% off by memory.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi thanks for advice,lodious let me know what you think when it arrives. Perhaps I should add a bit more ram to the old PC anyone think its worth doing? only got 128mb of DDR so it pretty slow. Dont want to waste money if it would be better spent on new sytem.

Jamie
    Free Member

128mb? Damn son, i think my phone has more than that 😉

Fletch
    Free Member

They used to be great but the last one I got from them the hard drive was disconnected when it arrived, the card reader was wired to the motherboard the wrong way round so it blew straight away and the chipset fan died after a couple of months and after months of chasing them they sent me a heatsink with no instructions.

All solvable problems if you know what you are doing but a novice would have no chance. They after sales service is shit and even the flash memory stick they sent me as compensation didn’t work and had to go back.

They aimed for lean and mean and trimmed too far.

F

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘MESH computers any good?’ is closed to new replies.