• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • merrel barefoot update
  • nickhart
    Free Member

ok so not a massive in depth review but a quick i love em type post. i went for the merrel’s rather than the vibram five fingers as i wanted something to wear all day and i don’t like being looked at too much!
    they are really comfy, like slippers, i have had to get used to the odd stone strike when not paying attention but on the whole they’re way more comfortable than i thought they’d be.
    running wise i haven’t got up to speed in them for any great distance but what i have done i’ve really enjoyed and have had no pain when some new balance were causing a gout like sensation after a mile of walking.
    coming down hill has had to be relearned as you can’t stick your heel into the trail as there’s less tread and there’s no padding (which is why i bought them) so it’s been a bit of a trial and error but mostly good fun. (wyming brook footpath despatched with minimum time and effort).
    all in all very comfy, light as and great for what i wanted.
    the only downside is the black on yellow M which my family have decided looks like the Morrisons logo! great!

noshki

I bought a pair of the five fingers last year and nearly crippled myself after the first couple of runs, you definitely use different muscle groups, I thought a couple of miles would be a nice gentle intro…not.
    I know what you mean about them looking weird too and one other problem is a tendency to catch sticks between your toes as you run or maybe that’s just me, my kids call them my monkey shoes. They’re also a pain in the ass to put on.

I bought a pair of the Merrells this year and was so impressed I’ve since bought another two pairs (good deal) am now wearing these exclusively and run four 10k runs off road a week.

I agree they are very comfortable to wear and…just checked I’m currently wearing a pair. The lack of heel cushioning does push you into running on the balls of your feet (off your heels) and this does mean that you have to introduce your legs to them very carefully. Your style of running does change with these and you find yourself dancing around the tree roots as you run making you hyper aware of what you’re running on. Quite hooked on the whole bare foot running idea now and glad to hear you’re enjoying yours too.

Lifer
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/12551218[/video]

Found this video quite good talking about posture + rhythm in barefoot running.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you running on tarmac with them too?

noshki

Thanks Lifer, good vid, although now on my run tomorrow I’m going to wayyy over analyse my running style. It also explains why my fast twitch muscles / explosive power have improved so much, I can now jump with feet together and spin over 360 degrees landing on my toes on the same spot.

noshki

Molgrips, no I haven’t been. Tend to do training runs and a couple of training bike rides a week when I take the dog out so it’s all off road. If I look like entering anything road based I may do a couple of runs first but I would think off road running will definitely use more muscle groups making tarmac a bit easier. However if you’re not used to barefoot running the initial adapting would probably be a bit more punishing on tarmac.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been running on forefoot for a while, all ok, and recently I’ve been doing fast short intervals of various kinds. Interestingly, I went out for a 3.5 mile run last night and I was able to keep on my toes the whole time, whereas I always used to end up flat footed after a short while.

But, strangely, the experience has utterly shagged my major muscles it seems, in a combination I don’t think I’ve experienced before. Almost as if the sprinting has strengthened up my tendons and some muscles allowing me to over-exert some of the others. Was no faster overall mind, but I think I relied on the heel cushion a lot less.

Lifer
    Free Member

on my run tomorrow I’m going to wayyy over analyse my running style.

Sorry!

miketually
    Free Member

If I look like entering anything road based I may do a couple of runs first but I would think off road running will definitely use more muscle groups making tarmac a bit easier.

Inov-8 do ‘barefoot’ road shoes now.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve been running barefoot round the park a couple of times now, no shoes at all. Did about a mile on Saturday and about 2.5miles today. It’s ace, feels so much better and my feet seem to coping surprisingly well. Tried a few pairs of Vibram 5fingers on in the shop on Sunday but they didn’t have the right size for me, I need M39 which wasn’t in stock so the guy said he’d order some. I’ll check out the Merrels and Inov8s in the meantime.

Kev

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been running barefoot round the park a couple of times now, no shoes at all.

^This.

I think it feels so good because it’s cost me £80 less.

finbar
    Free Member

Inov-8 do ‘barefoot’ road shoes now.

So do Asics, Brooks, Saucony, Adidas…. they’re called racing flats.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m trying to pick running up again and definitely want to try barefoot style running, but all my running is on pavements etc. I can’t think of anywhere to go for a decent run actually barefoot.
    Anyone know of a cheap way to get started down this route?

nickhart
    Free Member

dirtbiker, i was lucky in that i had been running a reasonable amount and had evolved into some inov8’s by accident more than anything. really liked running in them. then i did a sponsored new years day swim and ran back to the car park in just a pair of wetsuit boots (i had the rest of the wetsuit on too!) it just felt so right felt like i was floating on the tarmac.
    anyhow had the last two years off from running and pretty much everything else being poorly. got back from the brink and started feeling like running so started a little with the merrels and was almost straight back into forefoot striking from the off.
    the cheapest route is find a nice park or field (with permission) and run round it with nothing on your feet.
    the style of running isn’t massively different but your stride will be shorter but quicker and your body more upright. i always thought running was controlled falling but barefoot is far more controlled.

molgrips, if you’re doing lots of sprint work then you’ll end up being a one trick wonder, well you muscles will. reading born to run made so much sense, we’re capable of sprinting as a flight or fight response but only for short bursts. i think all things in moderation and your body will find a happy medium.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dirtbiker100 – Member
    Anyone know of a cheap way to get started down this route?

i can assure they’re basically the same thing, only £75 cheaper.

i use inov8 something-or-others for fell races, but use a pair of these for road running – no problems at all.

(not because the innov8 are no good on hard surfaces, but because i dont want to wear them out)

surfer
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to hearing about the improved race performances and times.

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips, if you’re doing lots of sprint work then you’ll end up being a one trick wonder

I say sprints, but it’s more varied than that and not really sprinting as such.

However I’m predisposed to love sprinting, and I get a huge rush when do really sprint. It feels great 🙂

Re actually being barefoot – I did read in one of these running articles that allowing your toes to actually spread out helps with correct pronation and foot stability etc. Which is why 5 fingers or actual barefoot might be a good idea….

Keva
    Free Member

some good articles on the Merrel website which may be of interest…

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en/BarefootConnection

Kev

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘merrel barefoot update’ is closed to new replies.