Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Merlin Malt Bikes
  • PMK2060

I need to replace my Merlin Malt 1 which was recently stolen.

I liked the malt 1 and would buy the same bike again but it looks like they are discontinuing this model.

Do any of you guys have the Malt 3 or Malt 4 and if so would you recommend them? Is the Malt 4 worth the extra cash over the Malt 3?

I rarely ride technical terrain so don’t need or want a full suss.

Your help / advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers

abductee
    Free Member

Yes I’ve just got a Malt 3 frame. Transplanted my old bits including a 120mm fork. It weighs about 1823 grammes for a 19″ and came with a FSA headset. I immediately felt at home on it and consider it money well spent. The only criticism I could level at it is limited rear tyre clearance (2.1 is as big as would be sensible) and the ride feels a bit harsher than my carbon hardtail. I think some of the Merlin frames are made by Kinesis but not the Malt 3. It has a logo stamped on it that looks somehing like 1B. I don’t have any photo’s but it’s the same as the one in the link but black.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17226124

bigjim

My gf has a Malt 4 and it is very nice, Kinesis frame.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah, back in 2007 I spunked my hard earned savings on a malt 4. Lovely little xc bike. Couldn’t work out why my rear cup & cone hub needed rebuilding as the wheel kept on wobbling around like it was pissed. Eventually after a 30 odd mile ride I noticed that yet again the hub was loose and the tyre had actually started to eat through the chainstay, rendering the frame useless. I then bought a malt 1 cheap to run as a cheap singlespeed. When I stripped the malt 4 down I noticed the decking thing was bent – the rear triangle was at a slight angle. I took it to lbs who agreed, contacted merlin, who requested the frame for examination. They admitted it was bent, but claimed I had “dropped it” or transported it wrongly. Then they denied it was bent and claimed I couldn’t put a rear wheel in the drop out properly.

Guess what, I never had any problems with the malt 1 frame, despite how many times I removes the rear wheel.

I’d never buy anything from either merlin cycles or kinesis now. Money grabbing parasites.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah, back in 2007 I spunked my hard earned savings on a malt 4. Lovely little xc bike. Couldn’t work out why my rear cup & cone hub needed rebuilding as the wheel kept on wobbling around like it was pissed. Eventually after a 30 odd mile ride I noticed that yet again the hub was loose and the tyre had actually started to eat through the chainstay, rendering the frame useless. I then bought a malt 1 cheap to run as a cheap singlespeed. When I stripped the malt 4 down I noticed the decking thing was bent – the rear triangle was at a slight angle. I took it to lbs who agreed, contacted merlin, who requested the frame for examination. They admitted it was bent, but claimed I had “dropped it” or transported it wrongly. Then they denied it was bent and claimed I couldn’t put a rear wheel in the drop out properly.

Guess what, I never had any problems with the malt 1 frame, despite how many times I removes the rear wheel.

I’d never buy anything from either merlin cycles or kinesis now. Money grabbing parasites.

PMK2060

thanks for the replies. i think i will end up buying the malt 4. I was hoping that the rock lobsters would reduce in price as they are having a sale on the frames but it does not appear to be the case.

Scott_mcavennie2 – i am surprised that Merlin did not replace the frame. i have never heard a bad work said about them.

iainc

how about a Rock Lobster 853 – similar geometry and much more comfy, yet nimble !

Oh, and when mine was 4 months old I had a catastrophic stick, mech, hanger incident and they sorted me a very good deal on a crash replacement frame

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Malt Bikes’ is closed to new replies.