Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Merlin cycles handbuilt wheels then?
  • jonnyrockymountain

Obviousley not going to use dave hinde now?
    But what are merlin cycles like?
    Or can you recommend anyone for buildig wheels?

mr_mills
    Free Member

I've got Merlin built ones and they've stayed perfectly straight for about 7 months. I will definitely get my next wheels from there too.

Don't be put off by how miserable they are 🙂

boxelder

Merlin are much better.
    Others? – your lbs?
    Roger musson?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Roger is good but only does Hope Hoops now.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

merlin are jolly good for wheels

ph0010421
    Free Member

mr_mills – Member
    I've got Merlin built ones and they've stayed perfectly straight for about 7 months. I will definitely get my next wheels from there too.

Don't be put off by how miserable they are

Agree – wheels good, miserable – yes.

scruzer
    Free Member

Merlin built wheels are serving me well after 2 years of good use! I have only heard good about their wheel building..

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

2nd set now, good wheel building service.

1st set were mav's 717 on XT's had 3 years, now on my play HT,
    2nd Set were again 717's on pro 11's on my FS and not a problem.

retro83
    Free Member

bettered only by Chelmer Cycles wheels IME 😀 very good and cheap

br
    Free Member

I've a 4 year old pair, no probs at all.

CHB

have 4 sets of merlin wheels. all good.

simonjf63
    Free Member

I'm quite relieved others find them miserable – I almost feel like apologising whenever I go in there.

Good wheels though

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive still got a set of merlin wheels that i had built in 2004 , and apart from a new free hub and re-grease are still going strong !!
    Only used on my occasional use bike now 😀
    would recommend

bunnerscj
    Free Member

CRC had some DH'ish wheels for 4 yrs and straight and true, never been touched adjusted or trued.

PS, merlin wont do 29er's !

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Big Al at Wheelcraft (Clachan of Campsie) if he is still going – I had Merlin wheels on an old bike which had done well, but his kicked arse (for less money).

Junkyard
    Free Member

great wheels it is a local shop for local folk 😆
    always fine with me in shop.

Northwind

My 717s were flawless for as long as I had them, and occasionally took a right beating through my incompetence, never saw a spoke key as long as I had them and the second owner is the same. Very nice work.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

jonny rocky mountain – Member
    Obviousley not going to use dave hinde now?

why not? who is he?

scratch that – just googled him…

keefus
    Free Member

Had my 717's built by Tim at MUD SWEAT & GEARS in Weymouth and they have been brilliant! Still true after 4 yrs and only tweeked once. Might be a bit far for you tho.

B@rney
    Free Member

Merlin are class – really good prices too – good turn over as well

stayhigh

Can only say good things about them, had a set of XM719/XT wheels built 2 1/2 years ago by them. Just over a year after the freehub died which they replaced for me free of charge.

Which was nice 🙂

Clink

PS, merlin wont do 29er's !

I know – it's a pain – used them several times but no more 😥

johni
    Free Member

Another vote for Merlin from me.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I've had nothing but problems with mine but I seem to be in the minority.

fubar
    Free Member

Don't be put off by how miserable they are

unless you think you might have to deal with them about warranty stuff and having to deal with them again – put's me off (got lbs to do similar prices on a few things but i'd be happy to pay more for better service)

hora
    Free Member

Strangely enough, I had a Dave Hinde front Hope wheel. It was actually quite good (obviously the experience of buying it wasn't).

It stayed true etc etc and only a overhead RSJ in a carpark buckled the thing in half 😆

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

It's been a few years since I had a set of wheels from Merlin, but I found the ones I've had in the past ok.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

+1 for Merlin. They didn't build my wheels, as I bought factory MT65s from them, but they were great and re-jigged everything on the bike too (gears, brakes, even put the tyres on) for an extra £10 while I waited.

I've always popped into the shop … really friendly and informative on the three times I've been in recently … they even gave me sweets last time, but that might have been because they had forgotten to post my order 🙄

Know a few people who've had wheels built there and they've only got good things to say about them.

BTW, looked at Wheelpro site last night when reading another thread … the tone on the website alone would put me off personally, although it sounds like the wheels they sell are pretty good when they can get them.

enfht
    Free Member

My only grumble is they sell really crap plastic rim tape and it took 3 flats before I realised I needed some Velox. I'd def recommend Merlin.

tbant
    Free Member

Have nothing but good things to say about Merlin wheels, very helpful prior to purchase and the wheels are still going strong months later.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Merlin cycles handbuilt wheels then?’ is closed to new replies.