Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Merino vs moths – can I win?
  • antennae
    Free Member

We’ve had the odd few clothes moths flying around for a while, and they’ve had a good munch at our wool carpets downstairs. It’s a rented house and landlord didn’t want to take any action, so apart from a squashing session every now and then I haven’t thought much of it.

Opened up my winter kit drawer the other day and my Merino buff was absolutely destroyed… holes up to 6inches big. Delved a bit further and found holes in cotton t-shirts, and pilling on basically everything. Unfolding jumpers and adult moths flying out. Bleurgh. Even a few holes in synthetic bike stuff, that they’re not supposed to eat…

Feeling a bit defeated, cos the little sods live for two years and even moving house wouldn’t cure the problem. Anyone had them and won? Cedar balls? Moth papers? Freezing stuff? Flamethrower?

highclimber
    Free Member

I hate the smell of moth balls, makes me wanna puke.

that was my 2 penneth.

johnners
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s moths, have you seen any larvae? Carpet beetles are little buggers for the wool too. Very hard to get rid of, though regular vacuuming helps keep them down.

antennae
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s the moths. Found a live larva having a munch on one of my coats yesterday :/

Moth balls are rank. They’re loads of alternatives you can use, but I don’t know which ones work the best…

debaser

Used a combination of ironing everything at the hottest setting available (kills the larvae in the fabric apparently) and then hoovering like a maniac to get rid of the ones in the drawers, carpet etc.

Was told that they hate lavender, but I don’t know if that works. Worst case scenario someone in the pub will call you a perfumed ponce 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

I’d heard the lavender bit as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Merino vs moths – can I win?’ is closed to new replies.