• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hels.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mending/Patching clothes
  • vinnyeh

I was just about to bin a pair of Alpkit jeans that I've put a big rip into the knee of. Then thought that they're only a couple of months old, and I might try and mend the tear.
    Do people still do this- darn socks, repair rips and tears, patch worn bits of clothes, or are clothes totally disposable nowadays?
    My mother always used to mend our clothes when we were kids, even somehow turning the collar inside out when shirts got frayed at the neck. And we had absolutely no money problems- it just seems that that was what people did.

Apologies for the nostalgia content.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do it sometimes – other times i just leave it holey

socks i will disgard though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don't DIY it or know anyone who does it well, but find a tailor/dressmaker somewhere near…get to know him/her and (s)he'll be a lifesaver. Ours does all kind of alterations for me, which happens quite a bit as there's not much "off the shelf" for a stocky shortarse 😀

But, yeah, I remember me and all my mates would start the year with new school jmpers, then sometime around January, most of us would have one or two elbows darned, and then by the end of the year, darning didn't work anymore, and it was patches!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, clothes alteration types will do it.

waynekerr
    Free Member

This is not the 60's

BigDummy
    Free Member

I patch casual trousers using iron-on patches, and repaired a waterproof jacket recently. Also got a zip on a fleece repaired by the chaps who do my dry-cleaning. I've sewn up holes in cycling shorts before now. Can't be bothered doing socks, sadly, and anything where it matters how it looks I don't have the skill for.

My last pair of jeans had both knees patched and the pockets replaced, but it got tired and went again above the knee patches. So I bought another pair. Which was a bit sad. 🙁

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Yes have been doing it for years with varying levels of success.

uplink
    Free Member

My wife repairs most clothing damage to a good standard – no need to throw good kit away
    eg you can't see the mend in darned socks she does

vinnyeh

good. I was just about to buy a new pair of jeans, then realised that it was 50 quid going on some utility clothing , really through laziness- easier to order a new pair than get the old ones mended. I might have become desensitized to the value of money, since I hardly ever see it anymore.

waynekerr
    Free Member

You must all be from Yorkshire.

ourmaninthenorth

Increasingly, I go for repair. Mainly because I can't face the idea of junking stuff that is otherwise useable, but for a bit of effort.

That said, I have no skill, and so limit what I do to items where it matters not what it looks like, or if I can't do it, I find someone else who can.

Which reminds me, I must get the zip repaird on the Altura jersey….

TN
    Free Member

I repair stuff depending on the item.

Never bother with plain t-shirts as they're cheap or socks as, quite often, after repairing get some rubbing but a pair of £50+ jeans that would still be totally functional with a repair then yes, I would. Depending on the quality of the repair they might get relegated to second line, functional clothing.
    I can't bear to throw out a garment – especially a 'techincal' item that I paid a lot for – because the zip's gone or because a seam has torn or for the sake of some other simple fix. That's just wasteful for the sake of a few quid and/or a bit of time.
    And yes, I AM from yorkshire, but I'd rather spend my money on nice shiny stuff for my bike or the house or my husband. (see how he sneaks in at third place there…?)

hels
    Free Member

How about re-purposing ? Combine the ripped jeans with a skull and crossbones head scarf and a mullet and not only have you saved £50 but you have a new look too !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mending/Patching clothes’ is closed to new replies.