• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Melrose trails
  • legolam
    Free Member

I’m heading up to Melrose to see my brother this weekend, and was thinking of trying to persuade the other half to bring our bikes. Does anyone have recommendations for technically easy (but still off road trails) in the vicinity of Melrose? Looking for a route that’s about 2 hours long (pubs or cake stops would be a bonus!). Thanks.

househusband

Heaps on and around the Eildon Hills and in the woods behind Eildon Hall – and some of St. Cuthberts way.

And there’s some lovely singletrack on that side of the River Tweed.

Do you have an OS map of the area?

legolam
    Free Member

I can get my hands on one (have memory map on my phone). Are things rideable done there after the last fortnight’s weather?

br
    Free Member

There are loads, only real problem about Melrose is that the earth is a bit ‘claggy’.

So, for something easier I’d suggest you ride out past Newstead and aim for the trails either side of the Leader that go up/down to Earlston. I’d use the Leader path on your way up, and then the Jubilee Path for the way back.

http://onlineborders.org.uk/community/epg/the-diamond-jubilee-path-2012

Watch out for some of the drops…

Red Lion in Earlston is decent, and then drop into The Ship when you are back in Melrose.

br
    Free Member

The Eildon’s are wet, wet, wet – avoid.

And tbh the Cuthbert is no better (I live on it), until you are south of St Boswells.

Otherwise there is always GT and its Green routes.

househusband

Haven’t a clue!!! Used to live in the Lothians and ride the area regularly but have since moved away.

Can save you a 25k PDF of the area and email it to you if you like?

legolam
    Free Member

Househusband – YGM, thanks

househusband

Working on it!

mb20
    Free Member

There are plenty trails round Galashiels ans Selkirk too.

I would recommend heading to selkirk, and go to the Haining and Bowhill. If you feel up to it head on up the Three Brethern too.

youngrob

Would it not be easier, and safer given the amount of rain in the last week, just to drive to GT? It should only take you 30 mins to get there and the blue is just what you’re looking for. There are trails in Yair and Thornilee but they’re not what you’d call technically easy.

coastkid
    Free Member

Ride North on the Southern Upland Way (SUW) in this wet weather, then follow the SUW east onto the Lammermuir hills to Twin Law carins-where you can ride around the Watch resovoir and access the Gravel road of the Pylon track… not that exciting but it is always drained and rideable.
    As mentioned there is always Glenstress 😉

mb20
    Free Member

Through the haining and bowhill makes a lovely cycle, pretty easy and you can stop at the cafes too.

legolam
    Free Member

@ Youngrob – Yeah, it’s a fair point. I just fancied trying something new, but not if it’s going to be a muddy trudge (the other half is already sceptical about mountain biking being a source of enjoyment…)

br
    Free Member

Ride North on the Southern Upland Way (SUW) in this wet weather,

So, you’re recommending a ride that starts with a 10% climb up a rocky path and then carries on to be a near 500ft height gain. Then has about 1/4m of unrideable farm-roads.

He doesn’t want to put off his OH…

Bowhill, the Haining etc are all sodden, and its raining again. Maybe stay low-level and you can ride from Melrose to Selkirk and on to the Waterwheel Café – all on cycle-routes.

http://www.salmonviewingcentre.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Melrose trails’ is closed to new replies.