Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Megatoothache!!
  • scotabroad

'kin heck the whole side of my face, jaw and temple is screaming with pain. Have taken Ibuprofen, paracetamol, and now cask strength whisky to dull it. It feels like it has went into my sinuses or something??

Phoned up my dentist, the earliest he could take me was June!! He gave me nhs direct tel no., which when you press the button to say you have toothache it tells you to call your local practice then disconnects you!!

If this continues I am walking into the dental hospital or phoning round all the dentists until I get one tomorrow. 👿

Any advice on stw for something to deaden it?

spacemonkey

Clove oil and some kind of pain numbing pastel thingy. If it gets real bad then just find another (private) dentist – might cost £50-£100 but it'll be job done.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Go to your local minor injuries clinic or get back onto NHS24 but make sure you get hold of an advisor – for pain that bad you need something real strong.

ps44
    Free Member

mtfu and apply bombers

scotabroad

mtfu and apply bombers [i]

Don't, it hurts when I laugh!!

aracer
    Free Member

Phoned up my dentist, the earliest he could take me was June!!

Really? I walked in yesterday having lost a big chunk of filling and got an appointment for today (despite not having any pain – not necessarily that good a thing, as it means my teeth are dead, and I now need a root filling). Could have got seen yesterday, but not by my normal dentist, so given the lack of pain I wasn't bothered about waiting. It is private of course though, so hurts more in the pocket (there weren't any NHS dentists here at the time I was trying to register).

Round here they also have a NHS emergency dental clinic AFAIK – was kind of expecting to get sent there when I went to my dentist. Not very impressed with yours if he can't at least suggest somewhere else to go even if he doesn't have emergency slots for people in pain.

Nick

I had an abscess and my dentist is 70 miles away, half my face swelled up, went to minor injuries, they lanced it, bliss

oh and get some proper co-codamol (prescription) or nurofen plus (chemist)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

nip out and get some floss and check that you have nothing stuck between your teeth around the area it hurts, or if you have a broken tooth in that area that nothing is stuck in it.

Bunnyhop

Could it be an abscess?

Go and try a private dentist, the cost will be worth it.

Are you sure its not an abscess? Swelling and pressure sensitive?

If so its down to emergency and a good dose of antibiotics.

Untreated, it will mean extraction once it has died down.

Speaks from experience.

JulianA
    Free Member

NHS Direct (admittedly about 8 years ago) sorted me out with a temporary fix same day on a Saturday. Still needed a dentist to sort it all out later, but the pain went away immediately.

Hope you get it sorted.

Julian

BigJohn

Walk into dentists reception as soon as they open next, tell them you're in agony (don't ask to be seen, that gives them the opportunity to say no) then sit down in reception where the staff can see you and whimper quite loudly while trying to look brave and smile through the pain.

You'll be mended within 90 minutes.

scotabroad

Got an appointent with the dental hospital today thank f***. Had to pace the hall this morning to take the mind of it, only thing that works is 5 minute rinses with mouthwash, ice packs, and paracetamol/ ibuprofen combo. Pain is off the scale when it comes, never felt anything like it!!

firestarter
    Free Member

i feel your pain i snapped a tooth about six weeks ago my appointment it on monday cant wait 🙂 and i hate the dentist

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dentist, now!

They will give you a syringe-full of opiates and leave you in the waiting room until they have a gap. Then they will give you more opiates and fix it.

BTW. My dentist was shaving the cusps off one my wisdom teeth with his drill (impact gum problem), when he somehow hit nerve. Christ, it was like having my head electricuted! My jaw was jangling for about 2 hours afterwards.

ps44
    Free Member

Hope you got sorted. I know exactly how it feels having had a wisdom tooth abscess on holiday with very limited access to healthcare. I would have committed unseemly acts to have the pain stopped 😳 and would even have considered the Castaway approach !
    I managed to get on Coproxamol (now withdrawn from use) as soon as I got back to UK and it killed the pain in minutes. Cost a fortune at the dentist to get it all fixed.

ton

big man…………you want me to ride up with my pliers.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I had a mad toothache not long before christmas, turned out I had a sinus infection which (because I delayed going to the dentist on account of really not wanting to go!) ended up requiring surgery.

Hope you get it all sorted today!

scotabroad

I would have taken you up on that offer this morning Tony mate.

Well I went up to the dental centre emergency centre. After pacing up and down the waiting room (literally) for 15 mins the nice Dentist lady had a good look around and said it had to some out. I didn't hesitate at the advice. After about 10 injections it was still throbbing and I thought to myself "this is going to hurt".

By jings I was right

Halfway through the extraction she said we might have to use anti biotics to get it calmed down before extraction was possible at all because it was so infected and was so painful to attempt extract. So I just said get it out, and tried to think of some far away place. So she did, she had three or four goes at getting it loose before it broke free (it was one of the big molars at the back). That was by far the most painful experience ever, but worth it. Currently pain free, we will see what it's like when the injections wear off. At the risk of sounding like a jessy during the extraction I could feel my whole body stiffening up like a board it was that bad.

On the plus side when I wandered out it was like I was on the best drugs ever, it must have been the adrenalin kicking in during the pain, it took about 30 minutes before I was back on planet earth.

But pain free now whoo hooooo!!! 😆

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

wahey, glad to hear its all sorted out. Hope it doesn't hurt too much later!

lagerfanny
    Free Member

There is NOTHING WORSE FOR PAIN THAN TOOTH-ACHE!

Glad your sorted now!

Last year during Easter weekend on the Saturday it cost me £80 just for them to open up but the relief on getting sorted was immense!

The dentist said the pressure of the abscess erupted like a volcano on release.
    Must be An 'Easter thing' cos yesterday a toffee pulled a huge filling out which so far has left me with a dull but heavy buzzing !
    <sigh>

Drac

Renal Colic makes Toothache look like stubbed toe.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Vise grips and whiskey

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Renal Colic makes Toothache look like stubbed toe.

having just read up on that it sounds like your not wrong, major ouch!

Drac

having just read up on that it sounds like your not wrong, major ouch!

Aye it hurts, no pacing the floor trying to ignore the pain. It's more curled up in a ball on the floor feeling nothing but pain. I have a high pain threshold something I'm proud of but renal colic was way too much to bare.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"patient with colic of any sort writhes around in agony"

😯

Free Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted out in the end!
    I had an abscess NYE 2006 in Rome, sat opposite my girlfriend at the time my "toothache" suddenly started to get much worse, so I drank – a lot! In some attempt to numb the pain (4x ibuprofen and a few bottles of wine and it still hurt!) so NYE was canceled and back to the hotel where I drank more! The next day a visit to 'il ospedale' to have it sorted out.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've just read up on "Renal Colic" Drac, and apparently : "The risk of stones is higher in higher socio-economic groups."

So I guess that as a semi-educated building worker from Croydon, I'll just have to settle for the common and rather vulgar toothache…….."Renal Colic" sounds far too posh for me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I once had sinusitus that went into the roots of my front teeth. Unbelivabley painful. I have never felt anything like it – sinus pain and tooth pain at the same time. significant amounts of opiates and it still hurt.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Megatoothache!!’ is closed to new replies.